New Year in Spain - Wintering (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Places like Mazarron do get full, we had a walk around it last February and people were hanging about outside just in case anyone left.

We heard about everywhere being busy through Jan/Feb/Mar...but by the time we left Alegria del Mar mid March places were thinning out a bit more. We went to Camping Javea which went from 3/4 to 1/4 full by end March.

Just looked at Bonterra Park on CC site and it's £712 for 60 days...but have to ring to check availability. Had short stay here in 2013 and it seemed pretty good.

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
Bellavista in Aguilas on the Murcia / Almeria border is a good option. We spent 30 days there in Jan / Feb. Eleven euros a night for thirty days or more. We started on the ACSI rate of fourteen euros, but they refunded the difference in effect when we opted for the longer period.

It was pretty busy because of French people avoiding Morocco, but it's a nice we'll run site. The town is nice, with very few expats.

Huge Carnival in February.

Dave

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
el raco is my choice tbh it includes 2kw leci and i find thats enough normally i have my fridge on gas anyway i will be back there in about a week so let me know what u want me to check and i will

Cheers @ukbill for the offer and it looks good on their website, but showing that they have no vacancies during Jan/Feb, I'll take you up on making an enquiry for me though if I've not found something and booked up by the time you are there. Have a good trip mate (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
They won't show and vacancies for next year it will only normally take you to end of year wen I'm there I will c about booking you a pitch

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
Cheers @ukbill for the offer and it looks good on their website, but showing that they have no vacancies during Jan/Feb, I'll take you up on making an enquiry for me though if I've not found something and booked up by the time you are there. Have a good trip mate (y)
Have been following this thread as we will be heading off to this area in November for 4 months.
davidandginny have you phoned El Raco or are you using online booking? I have looked at the online booking and have received a quote using dates up to 31st December but as soon as go into next year nothing come up. This has lead me to believe they do not have 2016 prices on booking system yet or am I wrong?

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Love reading these threads about where you guys go for the winter. My winter plans will consist of working, moaning about the UK weather and getting jealous reading your posts about how nice it is in Spain etc.
Still, one day soon we hope to join you all and follow the winter sun....

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We stayed at Bolnuevo/Mazarron, Murcia after the March rally it's called Playa de Mazarron. Open all year ACSI rate us 16 euro. We liked it, right on beach, good selection of bars and restaurants in Bolnuevo, can walk/bus or easy bike ride to Mazarron. We are planning on returning. We met @MikeD and his wife there and if I remember correctly they go each year so might be able to advise on longer stay rates.

Lin :)

Are dogs allowed on the beach by the campsite?

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Cheers @Greenway and @ukbill , I did wonder about it just being the booking system as I also was able to get hits during the Autumn but not including January.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Been doing the Costas for the last 8 winters with my ACSI and CCI in hand and never once failed to get on a Campsite, but I suppose there is always a first time.

We will find out from October onwards.

:cooler:

I know just what your saying, we had no trouble whatsoever from mid March last year but the threads on here about folk queuing outside the gates awaiting a space does worry me when I'm at home and start the worrying thing! When I'm out there I don't give much a second thought, maybe the beer is helping :rolleyes:

goldenline

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
Port Grimaud France
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Cheers @ukbill for the offer and it looks good on their website, but showing that they have no vacancies during Jan/Feb, I'll take you up on making an enquiry for me though if I've not found something and booked up by the time you are there. Have a good trip mate (y)[//QUOTE]

goldenline

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
Port Grimaud France
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Hi have just made a réservation on raco for 28 december until end of Febuary We did with direct email and téléphone as website would not accept dates given and deposit was paid card on the phone. Also if there is no Space on raco vilasol accept ACSI at 18€ per night with no leci included.hope this helps
Alan

maxine and jo

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
Hi to all read all above i live and work hear on the coast and there has been a steady increase in the numbers of MH for the last two years because of the unstable north Africa so a lot more northern Europeans are now making Costa's home for winters so maybe to book could be prudent:cool:

Deleted User
Are dogs allowed on the beach by the campsite?
Yes, @katv they can go on all year except July and August, its a great beach too, we pitched right on the front row looking onto the beach, dogs loved it.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Could not get on benicassim last February. We were told by reception to come and join the queue as people leave all the time. We got booked on Marjal guardamar instead but that got very busy. Pre booked both sites (month on each) back in Feb 2015 ready for December to Feb 2016. Sat here listening to the rain wishing my time away.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
HI again, thanks for all the help and information, I now at least feel more informed about how we are going to go about this. Having been looking for most of the day, (nowt else to do in the rain), my heads spinning! What has become apparent is as stated earlier in the thread, many campsites have not set 2016 prices yet and can thus appear to be booked up when using on-line booking system.

Either chancing it on ACSI or going it alone (not using the Caravan Club or C&CC booking service) without doubt seems the most cost effective way. Booking fees aside, the clubs seem to be singing from completely different hymn sheets when it comes to pricing. Here's an example.

Site Camping Castillo de Banos, 1st Dec to 31st, 30 days booked through C&CC Winter Sites= £279

Booked direct with site on-line, same dates, = 123.75!!!! er what??? :rolleyes: oh, that's euros by the way not pounds sterling :eek: and it includes electric min 5 amp.

This may not turn out to be the same with all sites making a comparison, but it has been with the past half dozen I've looked at.

Food for thought!

Cheers for all the help, Dave and Ginny (y)

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
@Milliemobile Thanks so much much for the answer to my canine question. This is a site that we'll now definitely be looking to visit on our way through Spain and into Portugal early next year. I'm sure the dogs will love it (y)

Kim

Deleted User
@Milliemobile Thanks so much much for the answer to my canine question. This is a site that we'll now definitely be looking to visit on our way through Spain and into Portugal early next year. I'm sure the dogs will love it (y)

Kim
@katv, I'm sure they will, there are a few pics and info on our middle dogs blog which might be helpful, there is a link to the blog in my profile, there might also be a bit of info on our fun blog.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Love reading these threads about where you guys go for the winter. My winter plans will consist of working parent care, moaning about the UK weather and getting jealous reading your posts about how nice it is in Spain etc.
Still, one day soon we hope to join you all and follow the winter sun....

Slight edit to match our situation. So far our retirement has been more nights / days in hospital than away in the van. Dad was back in hospital today and will be back and forwards for 13 weeks until they decide what to do - leave well alone or risk more surgery :(

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Being totally fed up with this British Summer...what summer? :( our thoughts are turning again to the lovely warm Spain we left behind a month ago. The Caravan Club winter brochure dropping through the post has us thinking about heading down to Spain straight after the new year and having two months or so (Jan/Feb/Mar/) on a winter site before then meandering again as we normally do.

Whats the best way to go about this; through the CC or C&CC, ACSI or deal with sites we know about directly? We know it's already getting booked up so need to get our fingers out :). Looking at places between Valencia and Almeria.

Tips from experienced 'overwinterers' greatly appreciated (y)

Dave and Ginny

Hi you two hope your ok. We are booked on Almafra from 8 th dec until feb 14th. Booked site with Camping and Caravan Club and ferry with my Voyage Card..Be nice to see you again..BUSBY :):)

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Hi you two hope your ok. We are booked on Almafra from 8 th dec until feb 14th. Booked site with Camping and Caravan Club and ferry with my Voyage Card..Be nice to see you again..BUSBY :):)

Hello to you both as well :)...sorry I paused for moment, the sun almost popped out and I was suffering with shock! We're very tempted with Benidorm and were looking at the January because of worrying about family having a good moan if we clear off to the sun :sneaky: over Christmas. Now thinking about going sooner, later this year! Quite like the look of La Torretta or Villasol but will have a look also at Almafra. Be great to see you both as well (y):):).

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Slight edit to match our situation. So far our retirement has been more nights / days in hospital than away in the van. Dad was back in hospital today and will be back and forwards for 13 weeks until they decide what to do - leave well alone or risk more surgery :(

Sorry to be hearing this @Puddleduck, hope things settle and change for you and you manage to get away.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It was a bit chilly to be honest in early March, but the Benidorm 'crowd' had all said that it hadn't been that great in Jan and Feb with them...wind problem I think and nowt to do with the beer or too many kebabs. Would prefer further south, anyone tried Kiko Park? £10.75 per night, close to beach and 1.5 miles from Oliva.
It was glorious last jan and feb,,,just cold at night...BUSBY.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sorry to be hearing this @Puddleduck, hope things settle and change for you and you manage to get away.

We will be getting away but within the UK so that Mum and Dad have the reassurance that we can get to them within (to them) a reasonable time. I did ask how they would feel if we went over the channel but the reaction wasn't good - not even when I pointed out I could get back by plane and hire car if I had to. We will be away in the motorhome for six weeks (not continuous) in the next nine but no further than 250 miles from the parents.

There is an awful lot to see and do within the UK - lots we haven't seen and quite a lot we'd like to see again.

Make the most of what you have, enjoy every moment because the future may not be what you expect.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
HI again, thanks for all the help and information, I now at least feel more informed about how we are going to go about this. Having been looking for most of the day, (nowt else to do in the rain), my heads spinning! What has become apparent is as stated earlier in the thread, many campsites have not set 2016 prices yet and can thus appear to be booked up when using on-line booking system.

Either chancing it on ACSI or going it alone (not using the Caravan Club or C&CC booking service) without doubt seems the most cost effective way. Booking fees aside, the clubs seem to be singing from completely different hymn sheets when it comes to pricing. Here's an example.

Site Camping Castillo de Banos, 1st Dec to 31st, 30 days booked through C&CC Winter Sites= £279

Booked direct with site on-line, same dates, = 123.75!!!! er what??? :rolleyes: oh, that's euros by the way not pounds sterling :eek: and it includes electric min 5 amp.

This may not turn out to be the same with all sites making a comparison, but it has been with the past half dozen I've looked at.

Food for thought!

Cheers for all the help, Dave and Ginny (y)

If its a C&CC winter rally they will charge you a £75 booking fee if you have not booked your ferry through them.

Martin

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
If its a C&CC winter rally they will charge you a £75 booking fee if you have not booked your ferry through them.

Martin

I had noticed that getting added on when I went through the booking process, plus I get another £20 added on as we're no longer in the club. I hadn't realised though that it gets deducted if you book a ferry with them. Thanks for that (y)

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp

We will be getting away but within the UK so that Mum and Dad have the reassurance that we can get to them within (to them) a reasonable time. I did ask how they would feel if we went over the channel but the reaction wasn't good - not even when I pointed out I could get back by plane and hire car if I had to. We will be away in the motorhome for six weeks (not continuous) in the next nine but no further than 250 miles from the parents.

There is an awful lot to see and do within the UK - lots we haven't seen and quite a lot we'd like to see again.

Make the most of what you have, enjoy every moment because the future may not be what you expect.

Ginny and I know that only too well, no sooner had we taken an earlier (60) retirement and some health issues cropped up! For me just chronic asthma but for Ginny a condition that causes muscle weakness and pains. Her symptoms are eased considerably by being in the warm, hence us looking at Spain again. My dear old mum is now 93 and is still enjoying relatively good health! We live 180 miles from her but she is still completely independent. Even so, it does play on my mind when we are in Spain. Have a great six weeks away wherever your going. :)

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
So 90 days is around €1,900. What would the electric costs be for 90 days for the average MH user? Fridge, heating, TV and lighting?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back