A Not So Great Day Out in Lincolnshire... (1 Viewer)

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Today we took the newly completed / refurbished LT out for a bimble around the East Coast of Lincolnshire.

First time out so we thought we'd head over to some of the picnic sites we used to frequent when our girl was a toddler.
Quite a long story cut very short but (as no doubt many of you Wild Campers will already be well aware) no-one with anything taller than a standard height Transit van can now gain access to ANY of these delightful places.

It seems the local council has taken it upon itself to install Height Restriction Barriers across all the entrances in order to enforce their "No Overnight Camping" rule.
Unfortunately this also means that no-one can go and spend the day there either and enjoy the simple pleasures of making their own freshly brewed cuppa and drinking it beside their van whilst the kids play happily and safely near-by etc etc.
At our first port of call, Huttoft Car Terrace we met a very friendly but disgruntled bunch of MH'ers who explained their annoyance at this blatant discrimination and disregard for their (and our) libertarian rights.

Personally I think it's disgusting that the Council can get away with these things, not to mention the estimated £80,000 they've already spent doing it.

What the hell is happening to our country when even such simple, harmless pleasures as spending a day (or night if that's your thing) by the beach in your own purpose-built vehicle that you've worked, scrimped and saved for are taken from you by some jobsworth bureaucrat who probably wouldn't think twice before backing planning permission for the erection of a new mosque in the local high street??

THIS IS ENGLAND, OUR ENGLAND AND WE WANT IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Angry:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
The council isn't totally to blame for restricting MH parking / camping..
We must look also to those who parked in these places overnight, in some cases for several nights, dumping rubbish etc.
We often hear on forums like this one of how some folk with MHs take all they need in terms of food, etc. and contribute nothing to the local economy.
Bites us all, guilty or not, in the arse sometimes.:Blush:

OP
OP
DeuceBG
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
The council isn't totally to blame for restricting MH parking / camping..
We must look also to those who parked in these places overnight, in some cases for several nights, dumping rubbish etc.
We often hear on forums like this one of how some folk with MHs take all they need in terms of food, etc. and contribute nothing to the local economy.
Bites us all, guilty or not, in the arse sometimes.:Blush:
Agreed John but there must be other, less discriminatory ways of policing such abusers.
How many hours of Rangers / Wardens time would that £80k buy?
I'm pretty sure that anyone routinely causing problems would soon get fed up being visited by officials and move on.
A blanket ban is archaic and unreasonable to my way of thinking.
Aside from which, if I had a car-derived "pop-top" I could still get in, camp, dump rubbish etc to my heart's content so someone hasn't really thought it through.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Agreed John but there must be other, less discriminatory ways of policing such abusers.
How many hours of Rangers / Wardens time would that £80k buy?
I'm pretty sure that anyone routinely causing problems would soon get fed up being visited by officials and move on.
A blanket ban is archaic and unreasonable to my way of thinking.
Aside from which, if I had a car-derived "pop-top" I could still get in, camp, dump rubbish etc to my heart's content so someone hasn't really thought it through.

Of course they haven't thought it through.....this is Lincolnshire CC we are talking about. They can't think...

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Of course they haven't thought it through.....this is Lincolnshire CC we are talking about. They can't think...

Of course they've thought it through, Derek.

People were camping (clothes lines, furniture and BBQs out) in these places, depriving others of a daytime parking facility.
They are car parks, not free campsites.
The Council wanted it stopping, it didn't stop, so they banned it.
What else could they do?
Wardens isn't a sensible option. How many would refuse to move if told to, coming up with crap like "I cant, I've been drinking"?
Stopping access is more effective.

Blame the abusers, those who think they are entitled to deprive others of a facility for days on end just because they have spent many shillings on a MH.

The statement made about the right to park up on a day trip and brew up doesn't hold water. (No pun intended).
Take a flask.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I'm completely against this banning of motorhome parking... But its been ruined by those who do as they want..
We need a method of policing these spots to prevent abuse. How about a simple motorhome ticket based on reg no that allows 48 hrs parking and no return within 7 days with a £150 ticket for contravention (normal car tickets available to cars)

OP
OP
DeuceBG
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Of course they've thought it through, Derek.

People were camping (clothes lines, furniture and BBQs out) in these places, depriving others of a daytime parking facility.
They are car parks, not free campsites.
The Council wanted it stopping, it didn't stop, so they banned it.
What else could they do?
Wardens isn't a sensible option. How many would refuse to move if told to, coming up with crap like "I cant, I've been drinking"?
Stopping access is more effective.

Blame the abusers, those who think they are entitled to deprive others of a facility for days on end just because they have spent many shillings on a MH.

The statement made about the right to park up on a day trip and brew up doesn't hold water. (No pun intended).
Take a flask.
Why the hell should I be banned from parking up in a public area, in a reasonably sized vehicle of my choice and enjoying the scenery like Joe Bloggs who just happens to be in a pick-up, 4 x 4 or average sized family car?
Your comment regarding flasks is irrelevant and misses the point.
It's not about the tea (as I'm sure you understand) it's about being able to enjoy it in the ambience and atmosphere that such areas provide.

OP
OP
DeuceBG
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm completely against this banning of motorhome parking... But its been ruined by those who do as they want..
We need a method of policing these spots to prevent abuse. How about a simple motorhome ticket based on reg no that allows 48 hrs parking and no return within 7 days with a £150 ticket for contravention (normal car tickets available to cars)
Good call.
What about an annual permit system that would generate revenue for the area at the same time?
The freeloaders wouldn't want to pay and even if they did they'd still have to abide by the rules imposed by the permit like anyone else.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Why the hell should I be banned from parking up in a public area, in a reasonably sized vehicle of my choice and enjoying the scenery like Joe Bloggs who just happens to be in a pick-up, 4 x 4 or average sized family car?
Your comment regarding flasks is irrelevant and misses the point.
It's not about the tea (as I'm sure you understand) it's about being able to enjoy it in the ambience and atmosphere that such areas provide.

In principle I agree, it hacks me off, too.
The barriers are to stop continued abuse by motorhomers who think they can do as they wish, park where they wish and deprive all and sundry of a facility.
I've discussed parking with some of these folk, they say they have the right to "wild camp".
Parking in an owned car park isn't wild by any stretch of the imagination.
It's no different to parking uninvited on my drive.
These car parks aren't public areas, they are owned by the Council, and as such they can impose any restrictions they wish or feel they are compelled to impose.

This has been going on for some time.
Day trippers had almost stopped visiting these areas because they couldn't park.

The point I'm making is the council aren't altogether to blame in this case.
Abusers of the facility are.
Taking a space for a van and another for furniture and a BBQ is taking the Mick.

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Shop at Tescos!

It won't help you park but the Clubcard points will get you through the tunnel to somewhere we are welcome!::bigsmile:

OP
OP
DeuceBG
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
In principle I agree, it hacks me off, too.
The barriers are to stop continued abuse by motorhomers who think they can do as they wish, park where they wish and deprive all and sundry of a facility.
I've discussed parking with some of these folk, they say they have the right to "wild camp".
Parking in an owned car park isn't wild by any stretch of the imagination.
It's no different to parking uninvited on my drive.
These car parks aren't public areas, they are owned by the Council, and as such they can impose any restrictions they wish or feel they are compelled to impose.

This has been going on for some time.
Day trippers had almost stopped visiting these areas because they couldn't park.

The point I'm making is the council aren't altogether to blame in this case.
Abusers of the facility are.
Taking a space for a van and another for furniture and a BBQ is taking the Mick.
Again, agreed and I accept that my initial strafing of the council alone was perhaps a little unfair.
However, solely blaming the "Abusers" is also unreasonable.
As an elected body endowed with the power to make decisions concerning the access / roaming rights (call them what you will) of the General Public, the Council should IMO have considered a far wider variety of possible solutions to the problem rather than just barricading the gates against the innocent as well as the guilty.
In just a few short comments there has been at least one feasible alternative suggested which would likely serve as an acceptable compromise to all parties.
Was this option considered?
I don't know.

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Today we took the newly completed / refurbished LT out for a bimble around the East Coast of Lincolnshire.

First time out so we thought we'd head over to some of the picnic sites we used to frequent when our girl was a toddler.
Quite a long story cut very short but (as no doubt many of you Wild Campers will already be well aware) no-one with anything taller than a standard height Transit van can now gain access to ANY of these delightful places.

It seems the local council has taken it upon itself to install Height Restriction Barriers across all the entrances in order to enforce their "No Overnight Camping" rule.
Unfortunately this also means that no-one can go and spend the day there either and enjoy the simple pleasures of making their own freshly brewed cuppa and drinking it beside their van whilst the kids play happily and safely near-by etc etc.
At our first port of call, Huttoft Car Terrace we met a very friendly but disgruntled bunch of MH'ers who explained their annoyance at this blatant discrimination and disregard for their (and our) libertarian rights.

Personally I think it's disgusting that the Council can get away with these things, not to mention the estimated £80,000 they've already spent doing it.

What the hell is happening to our country when even such simple, harmless pleasures as spending a day (or night if that's your thing) by the beach in your own purpose-built vehicle that you've worked, scrimped and saved for are taken from you by some jobsworth bureaucrat who probably wouldn't think twice before backing planning permission for the erection of a new mosque in the local high street??

THIS IS ENGLAND, OUR ENGLAND AND WE WANT IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Angry:
We used to go and spend the day there regularly but mainly due to a few people living in vans/converted lorries and some spending their holidays there it was only a matter of time before something had to be done. For my part I think simply policing it or charging a small fee would be the answer. We drove to Sandringham and parked up had a nice restful day:thumb:but I will miss Car terrace and so will the grandkids:Sad:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Again, agreed and I accept that my initial strafing of the council alone was perhaps a little unfair.
However, solely blaming the "Abusers" is also unreasonable.
As an elected body endowed with the power to make decisions concerning the access / roaming rights (call them what you will) of the General Public, the Council should IMO have considered a far wider variety of possible solutions to the problem rather than just barricading the gates against the innocent as well as the guilty.
In just a few short comments there has been at least one feasible alternative suggested which would likely serve as an acceptable compromise to all parties.
Was this option considered?
I don't know.

I'm not solely blaming the abusers.
Their behaviour and thoughtless freebee camping has in itself created a problem.

Yes, there must be a better solution than barriers, but what?
The solution suggested isn't workable.
Why 48 hours?
How will it be policed? I would suggest only by a 24 hour manned barrier.
Why should they allow overnighting at all?
Should lorries be allowed to park up for a weekend in these places?
Many MHs are taxed as PHGVs, after all.
Some of the folk abusing these facilities were approached by the council and they more or less told the reps they can do what they want because they paid a lot of money for their MHs.
The fact that we Lincs residents have paid for these parks is lost on them.

At what point should the council cave in and allow general day and overnight parking, and to be right, this must include cars, trucks, buses etc. as well, to the detriment of the day tripper trade?

There will always be those who want something (some want everything) for free, and they will always end up crapping on the rest of us.

It's an issue that needs taking up with the council via the MH organisations to see if there is a better solution.
Personally, I don't think there is, there will always be the freebee brigade.

OP
OP
DeuceBG
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Personally I'd be happy to be able to have access from dawn to dusk again.
I'm not into Wild Camping anywhere but obviously there are many that are.
If memory serves, there used to be an attendant in the kiosk up there and parking was once chargeable.
I would have thought that such policing would work again and probably work out to be far less expensive in the long run.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Why not have a pay and display, with a time and date stamped ticket to include reg no of vehicle?Put a local bylaw that Mh parking is to be limited to two or three nights.Any vehicle abusing the system gets towed and a £500 fine to release van from pound.
That way you generate an income and hammer the piss takers?what would it need ,a couple of wardens with a van,a phone and subcontractor for the towing.
Couldn't be that simple could it :Eeek:

Vlad

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
If memory serves, there used to be an attendant in the kiosk up there and parking was once chargeable.
I would have thought that such policing would work again and probably work out to be far less expensive in the long run.

Here we go.
Possible solutions.
Why not write to the council?
You do, after all, pay to Lincs CC.
Attendance would need to be 24hrs.

Why not have a pay and display, with a time and date stamped ticket to include reg no of vehicle?Put a local bylaw that Mh parking is to be limited to [HI]two or three nights[/HI].Any vehicle abusing the system gets towed and a £500 fine to release van from pound.
That way you generate an income and hammer the piss takers?what would it need ,a couple of wardens with a van,a phone and subcontractor for the towing.
Couldn't be that simple could it :Eeek:
Vlad

In principle I agree, but....
Why should they allow MHs, caravans, buses, trucks or anything else to park overnight if they don't want to? It's their property.
The fee is only a part of it.
The problem is with overnight parking.
Because folk have taken up residence in the past for a week or more at a time, any overnight parking would be difficult to get authorised.
[HI]
The damage has already been done.
[/HI]It will take more than us moaning at each other on here to repair it.

At the end of the day, car parks in these locations are there to attract day visitors.
They aren't campsites.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I agree John I would be happy with daytime parking,however if they decided to have an allowance for Mh's overnighting it would give them the ability to deal with piss takers who would come if access was again granted.
From what I am led to believe where people pay a fee for a service the freeloaders stay well away.
Unlike myself there are those of us who have vans as their only means of transport,if only one of them were a dubious immigrant who could successfully argue that such barriers were an infringement of their human rights! Then we might get somewhere.:winky:

Vlad

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
At the end of the day, car parks in these locations are there to attract day visitors.
They aren't campsites.

And those days visitors pay.. So why not make money overnight too. The adding your index to the ticket method works.. Lots of supermarkets use it.. All that would be needed would be.. say.. 5 bays marked for motorhomes and a ticket for them specifically. With a no return policy (again.. nothing new)
Is a matter of someone having the will to do it I guess.

As for lorries parking.. Thats already dealt with in existing legislation and easy to adopt to cover any extra areas.
Marking out specific motorhome bays is as simple as marking out disabled bays.
Of course all this is easy for me to say whilst I'm sitting here. I'm working in the morning so I'll not be pushing this........

OP
OP
DeuceBG
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Attendance would need to be 24hrs.
Not for my happiness it wouldn't, lock the gates at dusk and I'll happily either go home or move on to my nice CC Campsite with electric, toilets and showers etc.
I've done my time with bucket baths and sand for soap thanks.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I haven't read every post on this thread because the story has been done to death (Google supplies all the details).

1. Lincolnshire County Council did not erect barriers as a first resort but as a last resort when all efforts at persuading people to be responsible and obey no camping restrictions failed.

2. Lincolnshire County Council has a duty to maximise the availability of such facilities to all - and when that is prevented by people clogging up the area for weeks with motorhomes and, even worse, emptying toilet cassettes on the dunes (as witnessed and posted by a local Fun member) they have to act.

3. Lincolnshire County Council has a duty to spend council tax revenue wisely and economically in the interests of residents as a whole. The cost of 24 hour patrols &c would not meet that duty.

Don't blame the council, blame the irresponsible motorhome owners who decided that no camping restrictions did not apply to them.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Another reason why I tow a toad in the UK..........................light the blue touch paper. :whistle:

Nov 21, 2011
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 400
Exp
7 years

I think that is the crux of the problem as stated, replace the attendant with a barrier and the problem is created.:Doh:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I think that is the crux of the problem as stated, replace the attendant with a barrier and the problem is created.:Doh:

IF ONLY:Doh:
Untill some scroat says he not going when his times up
Then we have the squatters rights and all that goes with it:Eeek:
What we need is someone in say a uniform:Eeek: who can say move along please sir and have the powers to back up his request:thumb:
I would atatch a JCB to the front grill and pull em out bit by bit:Sad:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Height barriers are put up by short sighted councils who think it will solve their issues.

They're normally wrong but when did a committee ever make a good decision?

He who shouts loudest will always be heard...
So they'll hear about those who have set-up camp. They must be abusing this beautiful spot. They're easy to blame, everyone has gone home and all that rubbish, dog shite and syringes must be from those guys in the motorhomes. They're freeloaders who live an alternative life style. Yeah lets keep them out, we don't want them here.

Of course having AND ENFORCING a parking management system with an attendant, enforcement officer, or CCTV is the better solution but the council will have to waste some more money before they make the right decision.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
"I cannot move,i have had a drink". "We are not sleeping in the vehicle,we are night fishing".... Blockading the very car park...Etc.
You want enforcement officers ? You have GOT them,they are enforcing the rights of people who ALSO want to visit this beach and its wild beauty,and not think they are back in a Motorway Lorry park.( These folk could/maybe/DO,outnumber you:Doh:)
As regards the barriers,one reason,proper "Travellers" could park up almost untouchable for 28 days,if you care to notice,many of them now have high value m/homes on their sites,so it is now a question of who is who?
If your m/home is your only mode of transport,a lot of thought must go into everyday town visits,shopping,multi storey car parks,if you can manage this all year,surely you can manage to plan a sea side visit other than to this one place that you know before you go is a no no.
We have gone back to a PVC after a re-think,even this has its limitations as regards to where it can be parked,but other people manage and we also have another form of transport that allows us to park in inner city multi storey car parks,Gold cards for free bus journeys if needed.
Thats me sorted,pulling the ladder up,i'm all right jack:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Tea Bag

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
How about a simple motorhome ticket based on reg no that allows 48 hrs parking and no return within 7 days with a £150 ticket for contravention (normal car tickets available to cars)

One word - enforcement.

The councils just can't afford more bodies.

You will have seen on here how people go out of their way not to pay automated parking fines so although an electronic solution is possible ( at what cost, who pays ? ) in reality it's probably not worth it to the council, a lot of expense for no return to the community.

And of course you can blame "the travellers" for spooking the councils over any plans for aires.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I think it all boils down to 'respect'. Some people do not know the meaning of the word.

If i fancied somewhere to park, and it was suitable, i would then think, 'will i be causing a nuisance'? 'will i be blocking anyones view, or access'? If i parked, i would abide by the rules, and if asked to move for a valid reason by someone in authority, i would move, no problems, no arguments.

Then there are the 'it doesn't apply to me' brigade. You know the ones, who park illegally in a disabled space, who threaten teachers because their 'little Johnny' has been told off, people who park, camp, and throw litter down, who push the boundaries, who are aggressive to the police, traffic wardens, fire brigade, ambulance and hospital staff, and anyone else, etc; NOB HEADS!

Respect and politeness cost nothing, but are priceless!

Craig

OP
OP
DeuceBG
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Barrier illegally removed or not, it meant that we could spend a lovely couple of hours this afternoon watching the weather chop and change over the sea with a freshly brewed cup of coffee in hand.
Maybe if everyone treated the place (and the others who use it) with a little more respect then we wouldn't have been deprived of it in the first place.

Not sure how long Cliff Richard and his mates had been there on their "Summer Holiday" mind!!

Oh and before anyone mentions my "Port-Side" style parking, there was ample room today so we weren't depriving anyone else of a space....:thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 52
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Well this is interesting...

It seems that East Lindsey District Council have been caught napping. You cannot put a restriction on parking (i.e. No Overnight Camping) if the parking order does not incorporate that restriction.

This might cause some consternation :Blush:

Broken Link Removed

and

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread