Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have used levellers on several previous vans. On present model we went for an A LCO model and paid a bit extra for an attachment to weigh the van. It's brilliant. Takes about 2 minutes and we know exactly how heavy our van it! Wouldn't be with our it!!
Richard
We had AlKo HY4 fitted last year they are good and no central oil reservoir or long pipe runs as separate unit on each corner at the time they were the same price as E&P at A&E Leisure who did a sterling job.😊👍

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
We have the Al-Ko System, only because of mobility inside the van for herselfs wheelchair, it makes her life so much easier and well worth the spend...if I was alone I wouldn't have any system, just ramps .....

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You can DIY this job if you are handy. I've just priced the gear at around £650 plus hoses as needed at £40 per 10 mtr coil. I've not included the brackets needed to mount the rams but they are just basic fabrication and no big deal.
Somebody was going to do this a couple of years ago but I am not sure what came of it.

OP
OP
S
Apr 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Imala 615
Dear fellow Motorhomers
We are just in the process of buying our 2nd Motorhome. We have had a 2005 Autocruise Stargazer for 7 years, we pick up.our 2019 Autotrail Imala 615 with side dinette, 4 seat belts, sleeps 2. We have for the last 7 years used Milenco levellers and also had back leg steadies to help with any bounce if on a site more than a couple of nights. But thinking of splashing out on hydraulic levellers. Any opinions on whether they are worth the outlay or should we just continue to use the ramp levellers and have back steadies fixed to our new (to us) Motorhome?
Thank you for all your replies. E&P hydraulics by Rosmia are our nearest and the dealer who sold us our Motorhome can arrange it with them as that is who they use, but not too far away in East Sussex is also AMC who fit HPC Hydraulics. Is one better than the other? Very mixed reviews for the E&P system!

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Is one better than the other? Very mixed reviews for the E&P system!
You’ll get mixed opinions about which is better, I researched until I got sick of it in 2018 and came to the conclusion that the only two were E&P and HPC. I chose HPC because they are aluminium bodied and therefore lighter, all the pump and control is in one unit and the HPC was more up to date with phone app control, where the E&P had a remote, that wasn’t remote because it had a fixed cable, the E&P just looked old school at the time. There was quite a weight saving with the HPC too.
AS in Warrington (HPC) and SAP in Doncaster (E&P) were the two main players, fitting these systems far longer than any of the Jonny come lately’s.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
You can DIY this job if you are handy. I've just priced the gear at around £650 plus hoses as needed at £40 per 10 mtr coil. I've not included the brackets needed to mount the rams but they are just basic fabrication and no big deal.
That I’d like to see.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Need to contact a local supplier tomorrow. Does anybody know the hydraulic cylinder sizes that are used by the £5k companies. cyl bore size. cyl rod size. rod stroke length etc. We get small rams like this in kit form and weld the ends on. Or if the dimensions are ok a lot can be found on ebay. Very roughly rams around £100 each. 12v powerpack around £300 and a four spool valve around £120. Will be back with more info.
I think you will find that the ram dimensions are dictated by the vehicle they are going on, something on a deep chassis rail like IVECO daily can get away with one fairly long ram, a PVC with very little clearance between road and floor often needs shorter 2 stage telescopic rams, but to answer your question no I don't know the dimensions.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Thank you for all your replies. E&P hydraulics by Rosmia are our nearest and the dealer who sold us our Motorhome can arrange it with them as that is who they use, but not too far away in East Sussex is also AMC who fit HPC Hydraulics. Is one better than the other? Very mixed reviews for the E&P system!
HPC system is lighter. Had mine for a year and it works perfectly. Fitted by LNB Towbars in Bristol

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
You’ll get mixed opinions about which is better, I researched until I got sick of it in 2018 and came to the conclusion that the only two were E&P and HPC. I chose HPC because they are aluminium bodied and therefore lighter, all the pump and control is in one unit and the HPC was more up to date with phone app control, where the E&P had a remote, that wasn’t remote because it had a fixed cable, the E&P just looked old school at the time. There was quite a weight saving with the HPC too.
AS in Warrington (HPC) and SAP in Doncaster (E&P) were the two main players, fitting these systems far longer than any of the Jonny come lately’s.
The E&P system is now operated by a wireless touchscreen device which has a dedicated charging dock in the'van, and has been for several years. I think a wired remote is also available as an option, but not often fitted.

I'd be happy with either E&P or HPC and agree with your choice of main players.

Nov 1, 2023
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 680G
I’m intrigued to know a bit more about these systems. How do they perform on the saturated grass pitches we seem to increasingly find in the UK at this time of year (assuming that hardstanding isn’t available!)? What about pea gravel (which we found ourselves pitched on during a recent trip to Wales)? Are they safe to use during high winds without fear of twisting or buckling? How much typically do they add to payload? Apologies for all of the questions and thanks for the advice so far.

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
Dont shoot the messenger guys, I was only trying to help members looking to fit this kind of kit. £5k to £6k for a hyd levelling system is pure robbery in my eyes. All that is needed is a 12v hyd powerpack, a four spool lever operated valve and four rams with fabricated brackets. No troublesome electrics, basic very simple. Operate one lever until the ram foot touches the ground then same with the other three then level up until you are happy. Info all over the internet and suppliers willing to answer your questions. If you are wanting an all electric touch button system then this is not for you. PS this is exactly the way big mobile cranes level up on site.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Dont shoot the messenger guys, I was only trying to help members looking to fit this kind of kit. £5k to £6k for a hyd levelling system is pure robbery in my eyes. All that is needed is a 12v hyd powerpack, a four spool lever operated valve and four rams with fabricated brackets. No troublesome electrics, basic very simple. Operate one lever until the ram foot touches the ground then same with the other three then level up until you are happy. Info all over the internet and suppliers willing to answer your questions. If you are wanting an all electric touch button system then this is not for you. PS this is exactly the way big mobile cranes level up on site.
I get that we are being ripped off vs a DIY job BUT mobile cranes don't have flimsy bodywork on top of a flexible chassis, if you have a water ingress or any sort of bodywork warranty I can imagine the answer when you try to make a claim and they see you have a home made levelling system that may or may not have twisted the chassis/body, personally I am OK with the factory fitted system that integrates with the air suspension and drops air as required before deploying the jack, one button = job done.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I’m intrigued to know a bit more about these systems. How do they perform on the saturated grass pitches we seem to increasingly find in the UK at this time of year (assuming that hardstanding isn’t available!)? What about pea gravel (which we found ourselves pitched on during a recent trip to Wales)? Are they safe to use during high winds without fear of twisting or buckling? How much typically do they add to payload? Apologies for all of the questions and thanks for the advice so far.
Yes they are fine or soggy grass pitches, depending how soggy though you might want some planks under to stop them settling, just as a guide we are 7000kg and with the aid of 300x300x40 planks we can lift the whole van out of a boggy field far enough to get sand ladders under the wheels, pea gravel is fine but again depending what is underneath it, yes they are OK in high winds but I would not want the rams at their full deployment so worth having some planks to put under and also it would be better with the wheels touching as well but of course not always possible alongside a perfect level.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We were choosing between HPC and E&P this time round (trying to save some pennies with the HPC) but neither AMC nor HPC replied to my questions on the reported leaking rams issue they may currently have so we plumped for the E&P as we have past experience of the sytem.

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
I get that we are being ripped off vs a DIY job BUT mobile cranes don't have flimsy bodywork on top of a flexible chassis, if you have a water ingress or any sort of bodywork warranty I can imagine the answer when you try to make a claim and they see you have a home made levelling system that may or may not have twisted the chassis/body, personally I am OK with the factory fitted system that integrates with the air suspension and drops air as required before deploying the jack, one button = job done.
Are you being serious or am I missing the joke?

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Another vote for the AlKo system.

The previous owner fitted it and I’m very glad they did!

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004

E & P do optional footplate covers which increase the size of the footplate to approx 300mm dia. I have these fitted and have never had a problem on grass or gravel. As a belt and braces excercise, I also carry a couple of pieces of old decking board, but rarely need them.

They are very good in high winds although I think it would be prudent to avoid using them on maximum extension in those conditions. They are more robust than you may imagine!

From memory, I think the whole system is around 27kg, but it's very well distributed. The jacks are obviously located equally front and back, and the pump unit can be mounted centrally.

Hope this is helpful.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
fifthwheel, I mentioned on a previous thread a long while back that I thought these self levelling systems seemed overpriced for what they are and basically got shot down about how it's not just the price of components, but the dealers have premesis, wages, aftercare, yaddah, yaddah to pay for too. It hasn't changed my view that they are still overpriced though, as it seems generally most things moho related tend to be ?
I deal with hydraulics on tractors and timber harvesters all the time and you couldn't get a much simpler system than 4 jacks to lift a van up, but people just want to push a button and have the machine do everything for them ?
As regards "twisting the van's chassis" we hear all the time about how easy it is to drain the waste water now "As I just lift the one corner of the van up and it all drains out." but the "chassis twisting" doesn't appear to be an issue then ?
I like your setup with the four d/a spool valves, people would be surprised at how precise you can operate hydraulics, there's plenty of videos online of people picking up a raw egg with a twenty ton excavator without breaking the shell !
On a simple system like you've envisaged, I think you would just park up, open the locker door to access the valve manifold, drop the rams one at a time (the pressure gauge will let you know when they've reached terra firma) then just nudge each valve till you get them where you want them, a simple Bullseye spirit level (£6.99 on Amazon) mounted beside the pump will let you know which ram needs adjusting ? With a bit of practice, you'll be running two rams at once !
I understand that on this simple system you won't have any handbrake/safety interlocks in place which the pricey packages have, but everyone does a "walkaround" before they set off don't they ?
I appreciate you have to have an interest/mechanical bent and the facilities to carry out the work, but it really isn't that complicated, one pump, one valve manifold, four rams, eight hoses and a bit of bracketry ?
Plenty of people do self builds and this (to my mind) is just another activity that would complement that sort of activity ?

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
fifthwheel, I mentioned on a previous thread a long while back that I thought these self levelling systems seemed overpriced for what they are and basically got shot down about how it's not just the price of components, but the dealers have premesis, wages, aftercare, yaddah, yaddah to pay for too. It hasn't changed my view that they are still overpriced though, as it seems generally most things moho related tend to be ?
I deal with hydraulics on tractors and timber harvesters all the time and you couldn't get a much simpler system than 4 jacks to lift a van up, but people just want to push a button and have the machine do everything for them ?
As regards "twisting the van's chassis" we hear all the time about how easy it is to drain the waste water now "As I just lift the one corner of the van up and it all drains out." but the "chassis twisting" doesn't appear to be an issue then ?
I like your setup with the four d/a spool valves, people would be surprised at how precise you can operate hydraulics, there's plenty of videos online of people picking up a raw egg with a twenty ton excavator without breaking the shell !
On a simple system like you've envisaged, I think you would just park up, open the locker door to access the valve manifold, drop the rams one at a time (the pressure gauge will let you know when they've reached terra firma) then just nudge each valve till you get them where you want them, a simple Bullseye spirit level (£6.99 on Amazon) mounted beside the pump will let you know which ram needs adjusting ? With a bit of practice, you'll be running two rams at once !
I understand that on this simple system you won't have any handbrake/safety interlocks in place which the pricey packages have, but everyone does a "walkaround" before they set off don't they ?
I appreciate you have to have an interest/mechanical bent and the facilities to carry out the work, but it really isn't that complicated, one pump, one valve manifold, four rams, eight hoses and a bit of bracketry ?
Plenty of people do self builds and this (to my mind) is just another activity that would complement that sort of activity ?
You can't just lift one corner to drain water, the system always ensures that the jacks work in pairs. It's programmed, therefore, to lift the side opposite the drain point.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
You can't just lift one corner to drain water, the system always ensures that the jacks work in pairs. It's programmed, therefore, to lift the side opposite the drain point.
I don't understand, if they all work in pairs, how can they get dead level on extremely multi - level ground?
ie, ground on one corner is much higher than other 3?

Nov 1, 2023
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 680G
E & P do optional footplate covers which increase the size of the footplate to approx 300mm dia. I have these fitted and have never had a problem on grass or gravel. As a belt and braces excercise, I also carry a couple of pieces of old decking board, but rarely need them.

They are very good in high winds although I think it would be prudent to avoid using them on maximum extension in those conditions. They are more robust than you may imagine!

From memory, I think the whole system is around 27kg, but it's very well distributed. The jacks are obviously located equally front and back, and the pump unit can be mounted centrally.

Hope this is helpful.
Very helpful. Thank you

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I don't understand, if they all work in pairs, how can they get dead level on extremely multi - level ground?
ie, ground on one corner is much higher than other 3?

Don't assume that the pair that are operating are operating in unison, they are operating as a pair but independently of each other if that makes sense. :unsure:
The pair can be the two fronts, the two rears or the two on one side or the other.
The brains of the system decides how much each ram is extended to obtain level.
I don't know if the two opposite corners act as a pair on the levelling systems.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Don't assume that the pair that are operating are operating in unison, they are operating as a pair but independently of each other if that makes sense. :unsure:
The pair can be the two fronts, the two rears or the two on one side or the other.
The brains of the system decides how much each ram is extended to obtain level.
I don't know if the two opposite corners act as a pair on the levelling systems.
Spot on. I was pondering how to explain it, but you've done it very succinctly!
I'm pretty sure that the two opposing corners can't work together.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Once you've spent over 30 minutes trying to get levelers set under three wheels on a very bumpy campsite, your'll make your own mind up.

Not to mention the fun of having to retrieve your plastic levelling ramps, and no the photo is not of our van. :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

1712574907857.png

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
E & P do optional footplate covers which increase the size of the footplate to approx 300mm dia. I have these fitted and have never had a problem on grass or gravel

Likewise, I fitted the footplate covers. (y)
Surface area of a standard foot = 283.5 cm2, with the cover fitted = 452.4 cm2

1712575218035.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back