Hydraulic levellers (1 Viewer)

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
You can DIY this job if you are handy. I've just priced the gear at around £650 plus hoses as needed at £40 per 10 mtr coil. I've not included the brackets needed to mount the rams but they are just basic fabrication and no big deal.
This is for a front and rear system if you only need the rear then cheaper still

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I think that is a very good way of looking at it. I suspect many people fall into the £60 a night (and more) category, which does make it a different proposition

You could say the same about a solar/lithium setup. Spend over a grand to save £3 or £4 a night on electric, but hold on, do you fit solar/lithium or hydraulic levellers for the economics or as in our case to enhance the enjoyment of our motorhoming life?

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro675
Exp
Just started
Had them before and they were great. Won't fit them to my 6m PVC.

"Worth the outlay" is a very difficult question. It's in the eye of the beholder. £ 6k outlay and loss of payload. And in return you get the considerable convenience. How many days a year do I use the van, for how many years? Divide £ 6k by the number of nights. If it's a hundred nights it's £ 60 a night; if 600 nights it's £ 10 a night.
that is only one factor… how much would you pay not to be woken up multiple times in one night when children get up to use the toilet or a few gusts of wind rock the van… or to be able to level the van when you park up in the pissing rain from the warm and dry of the van without twatting about with mucky plastic ramps… they saved me getting bogged in a soft grass pitch one weekend when vans around had sunk in and got stuck in wheel ruts…. they are worth every penny for me… plus, if you can afford a £50/£80/£90k van what’s another £5-6k… as for weight, I put air bags on the back and plated up to 4250kg

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
The rear hydraulic levelers are usually installed behind the rear wheels of the van. I am concerned they could be hit against a high curb when reversing or when parking with the van overhang over the grass behind a parking space.
This has honestly never been an issue for us. We have HPC fitted by LNB in Bristol. Utterly transformational.

:welco:to the OP. Do consider joining as a paid member so you can access all the helpful resources and discounts.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
And don't forget the hydraulic crimping tool to make off the ends of hydraulic hoses. ;) (y)
And all the electronics to control the self levelling and to ensure that the ram movements are co-ordinated to avoid twisting the chassis. I'll settle for letting the pros do it.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
This is for a front and rear system if you only need the rear then cheaper still
Given that most Fiat 'vans sit nose down, I'm not sure how helpful fitting to the rear only would be. It would also not help with side to side levelling.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
They do more than level the 'van, they also keep it rock steady when you're moving around. They also mean you can ditch the jack.

You pays your money and you takes your choice but I wouldn't be without them.

I'm not sure that ditching the jack is recommended unless, of course, you are going to invest in an axle stand! 🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
Had them before and they were great. Won't fit them to my 6m PVC.

"Worth the outlay" is a very difficult question. It's in the eye of the beholder. £ 6k outlay and loss of payload. And in return you get the considerable convenience. How many days a year do I use the van, for how many years? Divide £ 6k by the number of nights. If it's a hundred nights it's £ 60 a night; if 600 nights it's £ 10 a night.
So 10 years of Mohoming is 175 nights per year as a retired person, bank holidays, weekends plus 22 weeks, maybe 196 nights if we get 2 x three months vacations in EU. But say average 1,750 nights.
Moho cost £101,850 plus 10 years habitation, servicing, fuel, ferry, insurance, mots, etc.. it’s not cheap.
Around £140,000 say in 10 years you get £30-£40k for your van, it’s cost you £58.00 per night plus camping site fees. Say average £40.00 per night, But, you have your own room, 2-4 people in the van, you visit hundreds of places in incredible places. Say £98.00 per night (30% of the time we stay in free Aires)

If you consider a up market hotel room cost per night £120-£160 per 2 people plus flights, car hire or drive your car, the average per night bumps up to £180-£220. I think motorhoming wins hand down.
Obviously it’s a lot of money for those still earning their crust 9-6 m/f. But for us OAP spongers as they like to call us, YEP ITS A GREAT LIFE. Opps forgot 10 years Moho Fun fees £200.00 ITS STILL A GREAT LIFE..

Aug 31, 2017
Greenhithe, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 2017
You can DIY this job if you are handy. I've just priced the gear at around £650 plus hoses as needed at £40 per 10 mtr coil. I've not included the brackets needed to mount the rams but they are just basic fabrication and no big deal.
Hi, have you a link for the DIY equipment, My Son has a commercial workshop so fitting would not be a problem, thank you.

Apr 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria Vision
Dear fellow Motorhomers
We are just in the process of buying our 2nd Motorhome. We have had a 2005 Autocruise Stargazer for 7 years, we pick up.our 2019 Autotrail Imala 615 with side dinette, 4 seat belts, sleeps 2. We have for the last 7 years used Milenco levellers and also had back leg steadies to help with any bounce if on a site more than a couple of nights. But thinking of splashing out on hydraulic levellers. Any opinions on whether they are worth the outlay or should we just continue to use the ramp levellers and have back steadies fixed to our new (to us) Motorhome?
We have used levellers on several previous vans. On present model we went for an A LCO model and paid a bit extra for an attachment to weigh the van. It's brilliant. Takes about 2 minutes and we know exactly how heavy our van it! Wouldn't be with our it!!
Richard

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Do I take it that you carry axle stands with you to backup your jack, remembering that I saw your jack in action at Drax last year. ;)
I think you saw a jack in action last year, it wasn't mine but, who's ever it was, I was very grateful!😄

But in answer, yes, if at home I always used an axle stand or, on the side of the road, slide the taken off wheel under the load bearing point on the chassis.
(Happy to report, I have not had a puncture in the last 20yrs.👍)

Jun 1, 2022
Portishead. Bristol
Funster No
MH
carthago C line 2018
Exp
Dear fellow Motorhomers
We are just in the process of buying our 2nd Motorhome. We have had a 2005 Autocruise Stargazer for 7 years, we pick up.our 2019 Autotrail Imala 615 with side dinette, 4 seat belts, sleeps 2. We have for the last 7 years used Milenco levellers and also had back leg steadies to help with any bounce if on a site more than a couple of nights. But thinking of splashing out on hydraulic levellers. Any opinions on whether they are worth the outlay or should we just continue to use the ramp levellers and have back steadies fixed to our new (to us) Motorhome?
I have them and wouldn’t be without them now take out the jack that’s is less weight as you can hack the wheels up in the rams. Good buy if you live in Somerset I could give you the name that done mine fantastic

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Had them 10 years, swapped by S AND P Doncaster to current van two years ago. Cost then around 5k. Cost per use now probably down to around a tenner! We see our van as a hotel room. So being level and stable is important to us. If it isn't to you, then neither is hydraulic levelling 🙂

Holly's mum

Funster
Jan 29, 2017
nr Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
It took us a while to get our heads round the outlay for having them fitted but it's definitely worth it for us.

One of the things that swung me, was the fact that we can move them to another van, if/when we change our current one and the new one doesn't have them fitted. Although there would be a cost involved, it is a fraction of the cost of having them fitted new and we really couldn't be without them now, so it would be well worth it.

Knight Templar

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 6, 2016
Farnborough
Funster No
MH
Swift champagne 694
Exp
Dear fellow Motorhomers
Had our hydraulic levellers supplied and fitted by LNB. Towbars well worth the expense we could never go back to messing around with ramps again

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Been numerous posts on levellers. Some love them, generally those that have them, some loathe them, generally those that don’t have them. If you have the funds and want the convenience go for it. If not use alternatives that many do. Choice of having them or leaving the money to the kids?? We spent the money and used SAP at Doncaster.

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
Yes will do, just popping out for a while.
Need to contact a local supplier tomorrow. Does anybody know the hydraulic cylinder sizes that are used by the £5k companies. cyl bore size. cyl rod size. rod stroke length etc. We get small rams like this in kit form and weld the ends on. Or if the dimensions are ok a lot can be found on ebay. Very roughly rams around £100 each. 12v powerpack around £300 and a four spool valve around £120. Will be back with more info.

Roby2008

Free Member
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
We have used levellers on several previous vans. On present model we went for an A LCO model and paid a bit extra for an attachment to weigh the van. It's brilliant. Takes about 2 minutes and we know exactly how heavy our van it! Wouldn't be with our it!!
Richard
We have the same .... (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back