Off-grid heating question (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
What do others do when camping off-grid (no EHU) in weather conditions where it rarely gets above 0 degrees (like now) and need to use the heating system? If I don't use the frost stat protection feature the water could potentially freeze overnight or even during the day. If I use the frost stat, the diesel heater will fire up when needed to heat the water. Problem with this is that the heating system is under one of the lounge sofa's, which makes up half the bed, so I'm pretty sure the noise from the heater's exhaust and the constant trickling of water would keep me awake most of the night.
Do most of you use gas-fired heating systems, or just not bother going away in cold / freezing weather?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
some people use diesel heaters, whilst others will not go somewhere if they cant access EHU,

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We used to come back through France this time of year and there were a few -4°c mornings, we never used the heating and the water never froze, I think you'd need a -10 morning for that. Was a bit chilly getting up in the morning and putting the gas kettle on, that was my job 😁

Cooking dinner always warmed the van up in the evening and if we weren't moving off straight away in the morning the gas heating would have to go on

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
We keep our diesel heater on minimum overnight, when temperatures outside dip bellow -4-5C . At 0C and above, we turn it off when go to bed, but leave the gas heating on thermostat to kick on at 15C inside.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
The use of heating also depends on the insulation of your van wether its bearable during the night not to have the heating on

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Do most of you use gas-fired heating systems
Yep.
I wouldn't dream of not having the heating on through the night in these below zero temperatures.
It's what the boilers are designed for, and are safe to leave on at night, as the products of combustion are flued to the outside.

If I had a diesel heater, I'd be using it myself.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Eberspacher/Chinese diesel heaters are bloomin noisy for your neighbours so I don't use ours after late evening
If yours is that noisy you need to look at your exhaust/silencer. I can't hear mine running when inside my van so you shouldn't be able to here mine from inside yours either. Unless your one of these crazy people that sleeps with the window open in freezing cold temperatures. 🤷

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Skinflint. :LOL:

I detest getting up in the morning to cold ambient temperatures, so set the thermostat to about 16 - 18 x degrees overnight.

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Heating comes on in the morning on the timer so van is nice & warm for getting up and hot water for a shower.

OP
OP
garry55
Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
We never use heating overnight there is enough laten heat in the van.
It's not about having the heating on - just the frost protection for the water. The van is warm enough to sleep in without the heating on as I have a 12 tog duvet and a sleeping bag! Oh - and 2 dogs on the bed as well.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It's not about having the heating on - just the frost protection for the water. The van is warm enough to sleep in without the heating on as I have a 12 tog duvet and a sleeping bag! Oh - and 2 dogs on the bed as well.
I suppose it depends how winterised your van is, no problem with ours.

Plenty of ways to quiten a diesel heater Two on Tour could give you a few hints.

Last edited:
OP
OP
garry55
Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
I suppose how winterised your van is, no problem with ours.

Plenty of ways to quiten a diesel heater Two on Tour could give you a few hints.
I have seen an advert somewhere for an extra exhaust silencer for the Eberspacher heater unit. I'll add it to my Santa wish list.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Oil fired radiator for overnight to retain heat but our Wallas diesel heater hob is very quiet and you cannot hear it outside. Another thing I have noticed this last few days is that it is very efficient with little or no heat wasted out of the exhaust

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Oil fired radiator for overnight to retain heat but our Wallas diesel heater hob is very quiet and you cannot hear it outside. Another thing I have noticed this last few days is that it is very efficient with little or no heat wasted out of the exhaust
That doesn't sound like off grid to me.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
No, 110ah 😉 but overnight there no other draw except the 12v Compressor fridge on ‘night’ mode.
Honestly I haven’t used the radiator more than 3 or 4 times Off grid and we drove off the following with Alternator charging 👏👏
What powers your oil filled radiator? Usually they are mains powered which would mean not being available off grid or using an inverter which with only 110Ah would be rather limiting.

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
I have seen an advert somewhere for an extra exhaust silencer for the Eberspacher heater unit. I'll add it to my Santa wish list.
If you have ebaspacher yes order ebaspacher silencers but if you have a chinese heater check the diameter becacause i have found that there are 2 sizes 1 or 2 mm difference

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I use our Truma Gas/electric system. Overnight I set it to 7 degrees to stop any possible freezing. It's very quiet so no problem there.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
What powers your oil filled radiator? Usually they are mains powered which would mean not being available off grid or using an inverter which with only 110Ah would be rather limiting.
It’s only 650w and over night turned on half setting so I don’t think it’s using loads of power and battery rarely gets down to 70% before we drive off and it gets charged up again. I am thinking of doubling up on the battery so we stay in one place longer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back