Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
has any one used the type of tow hitch that just lifts the front wheel off the ground and allows the rest of the motorbike /scooter to follow ? [ i think one of them is called the tow-ster] what are they like to reverse.also i realise a geared motorcycle could be put into neutral but is it ok to tow a fully automatic scooter for a long distance?

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
I wouldn't want to tow a bike with the rear wheel in contact with the ground. Just imagine the flat spot which would result.
Also what if the gear leaver was to move on hitting a pothole? Could end in tears.
I do fancy one of those racks with castor wheels though they are a bit expensive yet.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
has any one used the type of tow hitch that just lifts the front wheel off the ground and allows the rest of the motorbike /scooter to follow ? [ i think one of them is called the tow-ster] what are they like to reverse.also i realise a geared motorcycle could be put into neutral but is it ok to tow a fully automatic scooter for a long distance?

I would imagine that towing an auto scooter is an absolute no-no, you'll definitely fubar the transmission. I wouldn't like to reverse one either, tricky even when you can see the thing, and if you can't, then.....:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
trailer regulations stipulate that if a wheel is fitted with a brake, it must be opperational regardless of weight. Therefore towing dollies are no longer legal except for recovery of broken down vehicles over limited distances

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
how are you supposed to connect the brake?????

trailers of any weight if brakes are fitted they must work.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Interesting question which I will be watching with interest as my best mate has just made up a tow bracket to do exactly that. Scooter, rear wheel on tarmac, front suspended, but strapped down so that there is very little steerage. He can reverse about 1 meter safely.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
such a short 'trailer' combined with a long overhang will be near on impossible to reverse.
and as already mentioned, a trailer under 750kg does not require brakes, but if fitted they must work and meet the efficiency standards.

the only two ways to remain legal are a trailer or a full lift scooter rack (which may put the rear axle overweight)

this will also apply to a Qpod towed on a bar.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, yes got one here . it was based on an intertrade recovery bike frame. i have used it to tow trikes and motorcycles . it is a bit difficult to load . ideally remove chain or driveshaft. .you cant reverse with it would be my view.
i used it as a recvovery tool and for transporting my trike or others to shows etc . at the time i admit i didnt know about the brakes issue .
i borrowed a mate s that worked for the rac at the time and copied it .
they still can be used for recovery but not ideal for permanent m,home use.
there are little buggies that the rear wheel can sit in now on the market . these arent braked so get round the brake problem.
dont think intertrade market them now.
towing the trike was easy .front wheel in the frame tie it and fit light board and go. towed lovely

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i know this link says A frames and dollies but may be useful info in this thread.

Link Removed

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thanks ABA thats an update on an earlier version . missed that one . good job you have your eyes open. all filed now cheers

OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
thanks guys your replies have pretty much confirmed the concerns i had with the idea. shame coz it would perhaps be the answer to a few motorhomers motorbike/scooter transportation problems.there is a clip on youtube of a bike being towed this way and i must say it looks really stable and i would of thought the tyrewear wouldnt be any worse than riding it over the same [motorway]miles! if you come across a nice mountain pass then you could unhitch it for a bit of knee down fun!! perhaps this topic could be the new 2 wheel version of the WHAT CONSTITUTES A TRAILER A FRAME debate ! forgive me i didnt mean it honest !!!! garry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
have a look on the intertrade engineering web site . they possibly are the leaders in car /bike recovery .they do some nice foldable trailers for bikes . could be what your looking for . or give you ideas for making one .

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
being in the bike game I have used just about every possible configuration of trailer/bike mover available

For what its worth, the WORST one was the type you are currently considering, followed very closely by one of those Easy Lift Hydrotrail things ( £900 worth of weirdness )
To be fair, the Easylift is proly fine on small bikes ( say up to a max of 100kg ) but do not even think about using one on anything bigger

I currently have a RoRo trailer... Really light weight, takes up to 500kg with easy, and loads in about 30 seconds ( you unhook the big lever, lift it up and the trailer bed drops to the floor ! Simply roll the bike on ( it grabs the front wheel automatically ) and push the lever back down ( RoRo trailers )
Ever since I bought it a couple of months ago I have been raving about it !!

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
feedback

I have a Easy Lifter Hydrotrail on the back of my M/H and carry a Honda super 400 on it with no problems apart from the following. Make sure you tie the wheel/wheels done to the frame and tie the handle bars well, this comes about as over long distances (its been to Switzerland) as they shake loose if you don't. It's not cheap but for me the winning bit is it's not articulated like a trailer, so you can select reverse with any jack knifing, Great...
I have also bumped into two other M/H'ers at Folkstone site who had a BMW and a big Yamaha trailie bike on board, neither light weight bikes. I looked at all the options and for me this fits, but you may have other requirements. Hope this helps !::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have a Easy Lifter Hydrotrail on the back of my M/H and carry a Honda super 400

Mr Jaws knocks them and trouble is he normally can be counted on.

The idea looks brilliant.

I wonder why it kneels, would a simple ramp and simple fixed attachment not be simpler ?

patyogi

Free Member
Feb 8, 2012
Deal, Kent
Funster No
MH
self convert, left hooker
Exp
too long
Hernia

Mr Jaws knocks them and trouble is he normally can be counted on.

The idea looks brilliant.

I wonder why it kneels, would a simple ramp and simple fixed attachment not be simpler ?

John is correct have tried the Ro-ro, bloody brill. Getting a 300kg bike up and on an ordinary trailer is a bit gut busting and not too clever if you are vertically challenged. Plus getting the thing off on a unknown piece of ground, parking spot, grass, can be unnerving to say the least, you can hire a Ro-ro for the weekend give it a try, you'll love it! :Cool:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
It's an Excalibur trailer made in Germany under license from an American company. The original American version is built on a tubular frame with electric brakes whereas the German one is on an Al-Ko chassis with over-run brakes. The rear door drops down to form the ramp and the top hinges up. There is a wind down jack in the centre of the rear. There are two versions, the S1 which carries one bike and the wider S2 which will carry two sports type bikes or a trike. It will also carry an early cabriolet Smart car, not the latest one which is too long. It has to be the cabriolet as the roof has to be down and the top rails removed to clear the reinforcing ribs in the trailer roof. You also have to winch it in or if you drive it in then you have to be prepared to climb out of the car as the doors won't open.
The one in the photo is the S1 which I have now replaced with an S2. It's great because besides getting all the riding gear in there it can also carry the safari room. The down side is the price. The S1 is about £6K and the S2 about £8K, from Germany.

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab340/NeilCrofts/MV53EKF/Edinburgh02copy.jpg

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, nice trailer .shame they dont use the electric brakes .would bring the weight of the trailer down as the sliding hitches are a bit of weight.
ideal for motor bikes as it keeps the weather off them.
i stick to a dax fits in my little garage a treat. no good for fast long ride outs though .

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
A simple bike trailer would be safest, and with a bit of practice and a rear camera, you could reverse, or in a tight situation it would be easy to just remove and then reconnect after. They go for cheap money on ebay, but they also seem to come up locally aswell. They dont need brakes as it is well under 750kg, even with a large motorbike. I built a trailer for my mobility scooter from an old trailer tent with everything removed down to the chassis, and resin board deck plus a pair of mudguards, and it was ready to go. My mate also borrows it for his quad bike sometimes.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Love your trailer! How much does something like that cost,if you dont mind me asking:Smile:
Should have read through to the end:Doh: nice bit of kit though!!but a bit pricey:cry:

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Here is a pic of my trailer I mentioned earlier these are around £1200 and,I find it fairly easy to reverse and I can get lots of crap in it as well as the bike,handy if you are going away for long periods and saves having to store stuff in the MH or roof box.

Attachments

• newquay 021 [1600x1200] [800x600].jpg
    newquay 021 [1600x1200] [800x600].jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 36

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have a Easy Lifter Hydrotrail on the back of my M/H and carry a Honda super 400 on it with no problems apart from the following. Make sure you tie the wheel/wheels done to the frame and tie the handle bars well, this comes about as over long distances (its been to Switzerland) as they shake loose if you don't. It's not cheap but for me the winning bit is it's not articulated like a trailer, so you can select reverse with any jack knifing, Great...
I have also bumped into two other M/H'ers at Folkstone site who had a BMW and a big Yamaha trailie bike on board, neither light weight bikes. I looked at all the options and for me this fits, but you may have other requirements. Hope this helps !::bigsmile:

It is probably fine for a smaller bikes.. The guy actually made one for my 1200 GS and one for Richard ( 1100 GS )( of the Scotties ).. We both returned them as both were simply not up to the job ( happy to bore with details if required, but I will say it actually twisted my 4" box section tow bar ! )

To be absolutely fair to the chap, he did say up front he thought the big BM's were a tad heavy which is why he made us a couple with extra beefing up on. He also took them back and was shocked at how badly they moved when loaded

Basically a damned good idea and does work well on lighter bikes I should think

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Motorbike

It is probably fine for a smaller bikes.. The guy actually made one for my 1200 GS and one for Richard ( 1100 GS )( of the Scotties ).. We both returned them as both were simply not up to the job ( happy to bore with details if required, but I will say it actually twisted my 4" box section tow bar ! )

To be absolutely fair to the chap, he did say up front he thought the big BM's were a tad heavy which is why he made us a couple with extra beefing up on. He also took them back and was shocked at how badly they moved when loaded

Basically a damned good idea and does work well on lighter bikes I should think

Thinking of buying on of these for a scooter as a run around, might I ask what you think would be the maximum safe weight?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back