Towing a motorcycle !

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by greyman1, May 2, 2012.

1. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

has any one used the type of tow hitch that just lifts the front wheel off the ground and allows the rest of the motorbike /scooter to follow ? [ i think one of them is called the tow-ster] what are they like to reverse.also i realise a geared motorcycle could be put into neutral but is it ok to tow a fully automatic scooter for a long distance?

2. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

I wouldn't want to tow a bike with the rear wheel in contact with the ground. Just imagine the flat spot which would result.
    Also what if the gear leaver was to move on hitting a pothole? Could end in tears.
    I do fancy one of those racks with castor wheels though they are a bit expensive yet.

• Like Like x 1
  3. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

I would imagine that towing an auto scooter is an absolute no-no, you'll definitely fubar the transmission. I wouldn't like to reverse one either, tricky even when you can see the thing, and if you can't, then.....:Eeek:

4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

trailer regulations stipulate that if a wheel is fitted with a brake, it must be opperational regardless of weight. Therefore towing dollies are no longer legal except for recovery of broken down vehicles over limited distances

5. aba

aba

how are you supposed to connect the brake?????

trailers of any weight if brakes are fitted they must work.

6. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Interesting question which I will be watching with interest as my best mate has just made up a tow bracket to do exactly that. Scooter, rear wheel on tarmac, front suspended, but strapped down so that there is very little steerage. He can reverse about 1 meter safely.

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

such a short 'trailer' combined with a long overhang will be near on impossible to reverse.
    and as already mentioned, a trailer under 750kg does not require brakes, but if fitted they must work and meet the efficiency standards.

the only two ways to remain legal are a trailer or a full lift scooter rack (which may put the rear axle overweight)

this will also apply to a Qpod towed on a bar.

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi, yes got one here . it was based on an intertrade recovery bike frame. i have used it to tow trikes and motorcycles . it is a bit difficult to load . ideally remove chain or driveshaft. .you cant reverse with it would be my view.
    i used it as a recvovery tool and for transporting my trike or others to shows etc . at the time i admit i didnt know about the brakes issue .
    i borrowed a mate s that worked for the rac at the time and copied it .
    they still can be used for recovery but not ideal for permanent m,home use.
    there are little buggies that the rear wheel can sit in now on the market . these arent braked so get round the brake problem.
    dont think intertrade market them now.
    towing the trike was easy .front wheel in the frame tie it and fit light board and go. towed lovely

9. aba

aba

10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

thanks ABA thats an update on an earlier version . missed that one . good job you have your eyes open. all filed now cheers

11. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

thanks guys your replies have pretty much confirmed the concerns i had with the idea. shame coz it would perhaps be the answer to a few motorhomers motorbike/scooter transportation problems.there is a clip on youtube of a bike being towed this way and i must say it looks really stable and i would of thought the tyrewear wouldnt be any worse than riding it over the same [motorway]miles! if you come across a nice mountain pass then you could unhitch it for a bit of knee down fun!! perhaps this topic could be the new 2 wheel version of the WHAT CONSTITUTES A TRAILER A FRAME debate ! forgive me i didnt mean it honest !!!! garry

12. vwalan

vwalan Funster

have a look on the intertrade engineering web site . they possibly are the leaders in car /bike recovery .they do some nice foldable trailers for bikes . could be what your looking for . or give you ideas for making one .

13. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

being in the bike game I have used just about every possible configuration of trailer/bike mover available

For what its worth, the WORST one was the type you are currently considering, followed very closely by one of those Easy Lift Hydrotrail things ( £900 worth of weirdness )
    To be fair, the Easylift is proly fine on small bikes ( say up to a max of 100kg ) but do not even think about using one on anything bigger

I currently have a RoRo trailer... Really light weight, takes up to 500kg with easy, and loads in about 30 seconds ( you unhook the big lever, lift it up and the trailer bed drops to the floor ! Simply roll the bike on ( it grabs the front wheel automatically ) and push the lever back down ( RoRo trailers )
    Ever since I bought it a couple of months ago I have been raving about it !!

14. hdvrod

hdvrod Read Only Funster

15. hdvrod

hdvrod Read Only Funster

16. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

• Like Like x 1
  17. John745

John745 Funster

feedback

I have a Easy Lifter Hydrotrail on the back of my M/H and carry a Honda super 400 on it with no problems apart from the following. Make sure you tie the wheel/wheels done to the frame and tie the handle bars well, this comes about as over long distances (its been to Switzerland) as they shake loose if you don't. It's not cheap but for me the winning bit is it's not articulated like a trailer, so you can select reverse with any jack knifing, Great...
    I have also bumped into two other M/H'ers at Folkstone site who had a BMW and a big Yamaha trailie bike on board, neither light weight bikes. I looked at all the options and for me this fits, but you may have other requirements. Hope this helps !:BigGrin:

18. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Mr Jaws knocks them and trouble is he normally can be counted on.

The idea looks brilliant.

I wonder why it kneels, would a simple ramp and simple fixed attachment not be simpler ?

19. patyogi

patyogi Read Only Funster

Hernia

John is correct have tried the Ro-ro, bloody brill. Getting a 300kg bike up and on an ordinary trailer is a bit gut busting and not too clever if you are vertically challenged. Plus getting the thing off on a unknown piece of ground, parking spot, grass, can be unnerving to say the least, you can hire a Ro-ro for the weekend give it a try, you'll love it! :Cool:

20. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster