Route planning, avoiding Rouen, and low emission zones, from France through to Portugal (7 Viewers)

MarionK

Free Member
Nov 4, 2021
Essex UK (currently ;) )
Funster No
MH
Ducato Cheyenne 585
Starting to plan my route, I was primarily aiming to avoid Rouen's decapitating underpasses, but then realised that actually, avoiding low emission zones is a much bigger problem.
Looking at the latest zone map of Rouen, it looks like the only way past is a long detour over a bridge at Le Havre, that is possibly dangerous in high winds.
https://urbanaccessregulations.eu/images/stories/map_images/France_Rouen_ZFE_2021_map.jpg
Going via Paris ringroad would avoid dodgy bridges, and not be significantly longer, but it seems that the ringroad is also covered by the ZFE . . . Perhaps I should go back to camping? :S

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If you zoom right on in you will see corridors you can pass through on the map. Just don't detour off them for petrol

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Pont de Brotonne doesn't take you as far out of the way if you wan't to avoid Rouen but as previously said there is a route through đź‘Ť

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Starting to plan my route, I was primarily aiming to avoid Rouen's decapitating underpasses, but then realised that actually, avoiding low emission zones is a much bigger problem.
Looking at the latest zone map of Rouen, it looks like the only way past is a long detour over a bridge at Le Havre, that is possibly dangerous in high winds.
https://urbanaccessregulations.eu/images/stories/map_images/France_Rouen_ZFE_2021_map.jpg
Going via Paris ringroad would avoid dodgy bridges, and not be significantly longer, but it seems that the ringroad is also covered by the ZFE . . . Perhaps I should go back to camping? :S
Do a forum search, there's lots of info including maps..

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Just follow the A28/N28 which then goes to the D18E then A13 and A28, that’s the route I do in my 7.5 ton motorhome and last did it 5 months ago, there is a corridor and that’s the route it follows, just don’t deviate from it.

OP
OP
M

MarionK

Free Member
Nov 4, 2021
Essex UK (currently ;) )
Funster No
MH
Ducato Cheyenne 585
If you zoom right on in you will see corridors you can pass through on the map. Just don't detour off them for petrol
The map I linked to is not zoomable. I have found a map that is zoomable, but it doesn't show any route through either. Could you post a link to one that is please?

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Well that's a bugger..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
The map I linked to is not zoomable. I have found a map that is zoomable, but it doesn't show any route through either. Could you post a link to one that is please?
Try setting your sat nav for a journey that you think is going through the crit air zone with "avoid crit air" and it will take you through the corridor

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Here's a couple of maps from 'Green Zones' app.

There used to be a corridor through the grey area , but no longer.
Screenshot_20230507_195155.jpg
Screenshot_20230507_195106.jpg

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I have but they seem to be out of date. e.g. the road by the Seine, seems to be within the zone now, whereas it might have been outside before September last year.
I'm pretty certain its outside, even so the chance of getting prosecuted are pretty slim.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I think this is the latest itteration,

Its French so its waffle heavy, but the map on page 11 shows the limit of the ZFE to be inside the ring road. So ASFAIK you can currently drive through the tunnel over the bridge and 270 turn right along the river. However there's a lot of roadworks with a "3.5t limit" in the tunnel this year.

I also believe that the activation of ZPA's in other places have

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Don’t you just love france 🤮
There’s frequent complaints on Fun about UK councils using LEZs as cash generators, allowing polluting vehicles so long as they pay a fee. IF France is saying no admission then surely it should be applauded?

Gordon

I appreciate that “no admission” then creates extra driving so extra pollution BUT it is away from populated areas.

OP
OP
M

MarionK

Free Member
Nov 4, 2021
Essex UK (currently ;) )
Funster No
MH
Ducato Cheyenne 585
I think this is the latest itteration,

Its French so its waffle heavy, but the map on page 11 shows the limit of the ZFE to be inside the ring road. So ASFAIK you can currently drive through the tunnel over the bridge and 270 turn right along the river. However there's a lot of roadworks with a "3.5t limit" in the tunnel this year.

I also believe that the activation of ZPA's in other places have
The date on the front is 2021. >.<

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
In the document above is a list of roads under the map that are excluded, basically the through route normally used. Translation below.

The traffic lanes delimiting the perimeter of the ZFE-m and excluded from it are as follows:
➢ Boulevard Gambetta between the exit of the Rocade Nord-Est (RN28) and the Giratoire de la
Place Saint-Hilaire,
➢ Verdun Boulevard,
➢ Yser Boulevard,
➢ Boulevard de la Marne,
➢ Boulevard des Belges,
➢ William the Conqueror Bridge,
➢ Avenue Jean Rondeaux,
➢ Europe Boulevard,
➢ Bridge of Europe,
➢ Mathilde Bridge,
➢ North-East ring road (RN28)

Now having looked at the second document posted, it looks like you need to have a qualifing crit'air sticker displayed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MarionK

Free Member
Nov 4, 2021
Essex UK (currently ;) )
Funster No
MH
Ducato Cheyenne 585
I think I'll go the bridge route, unless it's windy, in which case I will just wing it. If I do get into trouble, I'll shelve the plans to move to Portugal, and do the silk road road trip first instead, and then leave the old girl on my BIL's land (in the middle east) where it will be put to good use.
Reading all the bumf on this, I see my previous thoughts, that in a few years time she'd be exempt as a classic is wrong as well. Only if it is in commercial use, as part of a tourism business will it be exempt. Yet another concession for business over the private individual. :mad:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Does the Rouen LEZ recognise over 3500kg as HGV and require Euro 5 engine?

No idea, I barely understand the question even.
I would apply for a Crit Air badge anyway so that you know where you are - only a few euros.
Use the French Gov website only

And this thread has some useful tips about filling it in.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I think I'll go the bridge route, unless it's windy, in which case I will just wing it. If I do get into trouble, I'll shelve the plans to move to Portugal, and do the silk road road trip first instead, and then leave the old girl on my BIL's land (in the middle east) where it will be put to good use.
Reading all the bumf on this, I see my previous thoughts, that in a few years time she'd be exempt as a classic is wrong as well. Only if it is in commercial use, as part of a tourism business will it be exempt. Yet another concession for business over the private individual. :mad:
We overlapped posts and it sounds as if you know you won’t qualify .

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Pont de Brotonne doesn't take you as far out of the way if you wan't to avoid Rouen but as previously said there is a route through đź‘Ť
Another one for Pont de Brotonne, it's longer but you are on holibobs.

OP
OP
M

MarionK

Free Member
Nov 4, 2021
Essex UK (currently ;) )
Funster No
MH
Ducato Cheyenne 585
In the document above is a list of roads under the map that are excluded, basically the through route normally used. Translation below.

The traffic lanes delimiting the perimeter of the ZFE-m and excluded from it are as follows:
➢ Boulevard Gambetta between the exit of the Rocade Nord-Est (RN28) and the Giratoire de la
Place Saint-Hilaire,
➢ Verdun Boulevard,
➢ Yser Boulevard,
➢ Boulevard de la Marne,
➢ Boulevard des Belges,
➢ William the Conqueror Bridge,
➢ Avenue Jean Rondeaux,
➢ Europe Boulevard,
➢ Bridge of Europe,
➢ Mathilde Bridge,
➢ North-East ring road (RN28)
I can't find that list, but Pont Mathilde is included in the ZFE :-
Est-ce que toutes les voies sont concernées ?
Toutes les voies, ouvertes à la circulation générale (y compris les voies nationales), sont inclues
dans le périmètre. Ainsi, les voies ci-après sont également concernées par la ZFE-m :
A 150
RD18E – Boulevard Industriel
RD 6014
RD43 – Contournement de
Bois-Guillaume
Pont Flaubert
Pont Mathilde
RD 6015
RN 338/Voie Sud III
RN 28
RN 31

Further down it looks like Autocaravans (at least some - VASP and AUTOCARAVANNES) will be exempt until june next year.

OP
OP
M

MarionK

Free Member
Nov 4, 2021
Essex UK (currently ;) )
Funster No
MH
Ducato Cheyenne 585
I would apply for a Crit Air badge anyway so that you know where you are - only a few euros.

There's no point my getting one, even if it's emissions are fine, they don't matter. It's still too old, I'll only get one that says I'm not allowed anywhere.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now

The problem is I have a Crit Air 4 but the lowest level for HGVs is Crit Air 5. We're over 3500kg so classed as an private HGV but not sure of the French rules

Feb 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2016

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries