leisure battery problem (1 Viewer)

gazza50

Free Member
Feb 9, 2010
Funster No
HI IM JUST WONDERING HOW TO CHARGE MY LEISURE BATTERY FROM MY GENERATOR AT THE MOMENT THE LEISURE BATTERY IS TAKING CHARGE FROM THE VAN ENGINE BATTERY BUT I WANT TO USE MY GENERATOR TO CHARGE THE LEISURE BATTERY ANY IDEAS ANYBODY THANKS GARY:Sad:

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
i assume you have fitted a split charge relay so van batt does not drain when engine off.
if so leads from genny 12v to battery
if no 12v on genny , then genny to a battery charger , to battery

OP
OP
G

gazza50

Free Member
Feb 9, 2010
Funster No
Yes

i assume you have fitted a split charge relay so van batt does not drain when engine off.
if so leads from genny 12v to battery
if no 12v on genny , then genny to a battery charger , to battery

YES THANKS MATE DIDNT THINK OF THAT JUST UNPLUG FROM THE VAN BATTERY AND PUT A BATTERY CHARGER ON THE LEISURE BATTERY AND THE CHARGER FROM THE GENERATOR IS THAT WHAT YOU MEAN ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
yesif you have no 12v on genny

you should have a relay inbetween engine battery and leisure battery to stop engine battery discharging when engine off , very simple 30a relay switched on from ignition feed

shouldnt need to disconnect battery as will not damage anything while being charged

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Hi Gazza,

What sort of van have you got? Has it got an on board charger for keeping the battery charged when on Electric Hook Up? If so just connect your gennie to the EHU and select the leisure battery on the control panel.

Lunarman

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
i had assumed from you post you have a very simple conversion with no chargers onboard , if i am wrong then agree with above post and just plug it in as mains

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
YES THANKS MATE DIDNT THINK OF THAT JUST UNPLUG FROM THE VAN BATTERY AND PUT A BATTERY CHARGER ON THE LEISURE BATTERY AND THE CHARGER FROM THE GENERATOR IS THAT WHAT YOU MEAN ::bigsmile:
have

If you have a commercially modified van, you could use a plug straight from charger to the plug you use to connect 240v.

Always start up charger before connecting and do not have any load on 12v when you connect charger

:thumb:

OP
OP
G

gazza50

Free Member
Feb 9, 2010
Funster No
well i just bought this van and its a catering van which as a leisure battery running of the van engine but what im scared of the leisure battery runs the fans in the roof which need to be on 4 hours all the time and im scared it going to drain the engine battery because i dont want to have the engine on when serving ,so im thinking use the power from the generator instead of the engine hope you understand what i mean ,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back