reset a lap top to factory setings (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
A daft question but have you got it automatically connecting to the internet on start up? I've had issues with this so now manually connect and it has solved my 'slow starting' problems. It appears that sometimes when it's set as auto connect it tries to find updates and causes problems (trying to do too much at once without having had it's Weetabix!) ... worth a go.
Yes, I understand that, but no, it us not on autoconnect.

Thanks.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
You could have downloaded it for free directly from Microsofts website :(
I can't find anyway to do that without quoting the original authorisation key which is on the disc case of the misplaced disc.:confused: That was another of my thoughts while trying to sort it out.

Even if I have to buy the disc I don't consider £12.50 too much to pay to get up and running again.(y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I can't find anyway to do that without quoting the original authorisation key which is on the disc case of the misplaced disc.:confused: That was another of my thoughts while trying to sort it out.

Even if I have to buy the disc I don't consider £12.50 too much to pay to get up and running again.(y)
It is usually on sticker somewhere on your computer. The OEM Agreement forces all PC manufacturers shipping a System with Windows installed to put a MS hologram sticker on the system. This has your auth key on it also.

Oh well. Too late for you but it might help others out :p

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
It is usually on sticker somewhere on your computer. The OEM Agreement forces all PC manufacturers shipping a System with Windows installed to put a MS hologram sticker on the system. This has your auth key on it also.

I admit I didn't know that!

It is too late for me but I am going to have a look at the laptop now to see if I can find it. I will report back! It may well help others as you say.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Is it a key or your product ID you need? If you go into the following you should be able to see your ID:

Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > System

Scroll to the bottom where it says 'Windows Activation' and you'll find your ID.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

I have been going through the same problem with my HP laptop and after resetting to original it works ok for a while then blue screen and crash dump, and round the circle again.
I was going to down load as your link above but my licence key is on a label on the bottom and is now unreadable .
:mad:
Now trying to get key from HP but have to contact Microsoft first for a
case number.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Gromett
I've checked and found the Product Key on the bottom of the laptop as you suggested.(y)

That's the first time I've seen its underside in eight years!

If I had known that then I could have downloaded from Microsoft. Never mind, the £12.50 I have paid means about two less bottles of supermarket wine. I'll take it out of Mrs Maison's share!:)

I'm sure the exchanges on this thread will save others money in the future.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have been going through the same problem with my HP laptop and after resetting to original it works ok for a while then blue screen and crash dump, and round the circle again.
I was going to down load as your link above but my licence key is on a label on the bottom and is now unreadable .
:mad:
Now trying to get key from HP but have to contact Microsoft first for a
case number.
There's a way of finding your actual Windows CD key (licence/activation key):

Go to: https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Before you download it you need to disable any malware programmes you have as they will stop it downloading as it will think its a 'naughty' programme! You can leave everything else running though, just stop the malware programmes you got.

Once you've downloaded the free version and run it you should get a screen like the below and will see not only the product ID but the CD Key which you need which should enable you to access what you need to get your Windows download from Microsoft - you CD will be where the 3rd blue band is on my image:

Picture1.gif

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
There's a way of finding your actual Windows CD key (licence/activation key):

Go to: https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Before you download it you need to disable any malware programmes you have as they will stop it downloading as it will think its a 'naughty' programme! You can leave everything else running though, just stop the malware programmes you got.

Once you've downloaded the free version and run it you should get a screen like the below and will see not only the product ID but the CD Key which you need which should enable you to access what you need to get your Windows download from Microsoft - you CD will be where the 3rd blue band is on my image:

View attachment 149949

Thanks will give it a go (y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Well, I promised I'd post an update.

The Windows 7 Professional disc arrived today. I have spent the afternoon rebuilding the OS and have made good progress at reloading my "essential" progs.

So far so good, the very slow startup seems to be a thing of the past. Many thanks to all who have helped me.(y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Good to hear you are making progress. How did you prepare your laptop ready for the reinstall of windows 7? After saving backups of all the stuff you wanted to keep did you do a factory reset , I think I need to do something to mine.:eek:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Good to hear you are making progress. How did you prepare your laptop ready for the reinstall of windows 7? After saving backups of all the stuff you wanted to keep did you do a factory reset , I think I need to do something to mine.:eek:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Yes. I backed up to memory stick all my photos and documents that I wanted to keep.

The Windows 7 Professional disc was bootable so, by pressing F12 at start up I could interrupt the loading and direct the computer to boot from the DVD rather than the hard disc.

It took an age, and several times I thought it had frozen, but it loaded a clean copy of Windows 7 OK.

The problem I had then was that several of the programmes required to run the Dell systems were now missing. E.g. The laptop didn't know it had a wifi facility so it was impossible to log onto my router, and thence to the internet.

Fortunately I could find a Dell systems disc from an old desk top and cherry pick the programmes I needed. That got me up and running and able to connect to the web to pick up other ones.

I am now faced with 231 Windows updates to download which I am doing in batches and setting system restore points as I go. I wouldn't attempt to do them all together.

It's been a lot of faffing about but I am getting back on track now. I wish you good luck with repair attempts.(n)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
OMG, maybe should try @Grommit s Linux option!!
I think i will wait and see if you have made it quicker, please report back.
I do have the system restore discs I made when it was new.
Then I would have to find the program discs :eek:
Perhaps I should search in the loft for the Commodore 64, the amstrad, my first windows desktop, etc etc!!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Yes. I backed up to memory stick all my photos and documents that I wanted to keep.

The Windows 7 Professional disc was bootable so, by pressing F12 at start up I could interrupt the loading and direct the computer to boot from the DVD rather than the hard disc.

It took an age, and several times I thought it had frozen, but it loaded a clean copy of Windows 7 OK.

The problem I had then was that several of the programmes required to run the Dell systems were now missing. E.g. The laptop didn't know it had a wifi facility so it was impossible to log onto my router, and thence to the internet.

Fortunately I could find a Dell systems disc from an old desk top and cherry pick the programmes I needed. That got me up and running and able to connect to the web to pick up other ones.

I am now faced with 231 Windows updates to download which I am doing in batches and setting system restore points as I go. I wouldn't attempt to do them all together.

It's been a lot of faffing about but I am getting back on track now. I wish you good luck with repair attempts.(n)
JEEEEEEZZZZZZZ.

Linux does sound easier... Boot off the disk/usb stick. click install, Choose partions (or accept default), select country and time zone. Reboot. And you are up and running.
No driver disks or anything else. Software and drivers all built in...

Zero crazy updates to install. Maybe a couple but no reboots required and it doesn't kill the system while doing it.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Will my old software e.g. Office 2000, run on Linux and how about things like iTunes and web browser such as firefox.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Just a thought. But if there is enough interest I might be persuaded to do a Linux rally during the summer months if there is any interest?
I might be persuaded :whistle:...
My only experience of Linux was on an Eee PC netbook, and wasn't a particularly pleasurable one.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Riverbankannie
I am delighted to report back that my laptop is up and running and back to its full potential, operating like new.(y)

I got it back to full ops. on Thursday, but held off posting until I was happy that it was fine. What a relief!:)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Will my old software e.g. Office 2000, run on Linux and how about things like iTunes and web browser such as firefox.
Microsoft Office won't run natively on Linux but possibly will using Wine. A simple alternative is to use LibreOffice (5.3.0) which is available for Windows, Linux, Mac and even portable and is compatible with the latest versions of Office. iTunes, don't have it so can't help but would say no. Firefox is the default browser for Linux Mint which is, for me, the best option for someone migrating from Windows.
There's a thread on Windows 10 running started by DBK (under whatever is his new name!) and hijacked (with the OK from DBK) by @Gromett and @hilldweller that they're chatting about Linux Mint Cinnamon. I've got a few desktops and laptops running this (various versions) and it's great.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Great stuff @maison ... now make sure you put the discs somewhere safe so you won't 'lose' them again ....! :X3:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@Riverbankannie
I am delighted to report back that my laptop is up and running and back to its full potential, operating like new.(y)

I got it back to full ops. on Thursday, but held off posting until I was happy that it was fine. What a relief!:)

Suggest you make an image of the hard disc in it's now pristine condition using Macrium Reflect Free so when you need to recover it again it will bring you back to today's state with all the updates \ software \ etc installed. You'll only need to do any updates from the imaging date.(y)
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Microsoft Office won't run natively on Linux but possibly will using Wine. A simple alternative is to use LibreOffice (5.3.0) which is available for Windows, Linux, Mac and even portable and is compatible with the latest versions of Office. iTunes, don't have it so can't help but would say no. Firefox is the default browser for Linux Mint which is, for me, the best option for someone migrating from Windows.
There's a thread on Windows 10 running started by DBK (under whatever is his new name!) and hijacked (with the OK from DBK) by @Gromett and @hilldweller that they're chatting about Linux Mint Cinnamon. I've got a few desktops and laptops running this (various versions) and it's great.

I have tried open office however I found that the Access databases did not work as easily.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I have tried open office however I found that the Access databases did not work as easily.
I don't use "Access" at all now so can't really say what the alternatives are like nowadays but have you had a look at LibreOffice Fresh 5.3.0 to see how it performs? Costs nothing anyway.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I would give Libre Office a go first as @Gellyneck suggested. But if that fails there are other alternatives on Linux. But you wouldn't be able to try them until you moved across.

Kexi Project is the one that keeps coming up. https://www.calligra.org/kexi/ There is limited support for Windows I think but I wouldn't judge it based on how it works on Windows. It was developed for Linux 1st.

I can't recommend one personally sorry as I use server based SQL servers (MySQL, Percona and MariaDB) for my databases which probably wouldn't be suitable for your use case.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I cannot see myself building any new databases and certainly not writing any more SQL code. Just want to be able to use and edit existing ones. Thanks.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I cannot see myself building any new databases and certainly not writing any more SQL code. Just want to be able to use and edit existing ones. Thanks.
That's why I suggested looking at kexi. It is very much designed as a replacement for Access. I am not sure how/if it does access imports though. Might be worth a look?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@Riverbankannie You've probably picked up on this but just to make sure you can download LibreOffice and try it out on Windows prior to migrating (if you were) to Linux.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back