You must have tried this before but will I get caught ? (1 Viewer)

barwik

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
dont own one - yet !
Exp
Hi all , Just booked our first trip abroad in our Hymer B544 - ( excited already ) - Catching the ferry to Dunkirk etc .
Now .... I've booked it as 6,5m but to be exact my van is 6.6m so I'm telling a little white lie - others must have tried it on I'm sure - did it work ? did you save a few quid ? ( I'm a yorkshireman )

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks for that, didn't realise, but it won't change our minds.
However a question will be asked next time I book a tunnel crossing!
Same here as we have a dog that is terrified of ferries. Good luck ref the cost ... I've mentioned it to them but they won't budge, I also emailed about reducing the cost for each additional pet but no joy there either.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
barwik

barwik

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
dont own one - yet !
Exp
Thanks for opinions - some have given me a laugh but regarding ferry or chunnel costs I can only put in what vehicle I have , the time were crossing and were taking a dog - I don't have vouchers and cant get it for free somehow - its approx. £120 more expensive to use the tunnel - I may try that in the future who know's.
OR am I missing a trick ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks for opinions - some have given me a laugh but regarding ferry or chunnel costs I can only put in what vehicle I have , the time were crossing and were taking a dog - I don't have vouchers and cant get it for free somehow - its approx. £120 more expensive to use the tunnel - I may try that in the future who know's.
When did you travel and how far in advance did you book it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Now now, you know Barlicks not in Yorkshire any more so you must be a red rose man. when i lived in Earby and worked at Rolls Royce, in Barlick then it was in Yorkshire, Ha memories.

Upvote 0

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
but I couldn't imagine stealing from anyone

Wow, you may well be the first person that I have met that is not a thief.

Personal mail in the "post" tray at work
pens, pencils,post-it notes taken home
personal phone calls at work
not paying the correct fare on planes, boats trains or buses etc
padding mileage and other expense claims by only a little bit

WW if you have not committed any of the above or anything similar I apologise for maligning you

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Wow, you may well be the first person that I have met that is not a thief.

Personal mail in the "post" tray at work
pens, pencils,post-it notes taken home
personal phone calls at work
not paying the correct fare on planes, boats trains or buses etc
padding mileage and other expense claims by only a little bit

WW if you have not committed any of the above or anything similar I apologise for maligning you
Apology accepted and none taken :D

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Myth.

I sometimes cross check when I book the tunnel and more often than not it's close enough to the equivalent ferry price as makes no difference.

I've found, and posted, examples in the past where the tunnel is actually cheaper than a Dover - Calais ferry for a crossing at the same time.

Plus if you use vouchers it makes the tunnel even cheaper.

Even if it was actually noticeably more expensive it's worth paying a premium for the sheer convenience, flexibility and speed. It's beats every other possible channel crossing hands down on all three of those things.

Even booking months in advance I have never managed to get the tunnel within double of a ferry crossing . & I'm paying extra for a flexible croosing as well so another 25quid could be saved. You also can't use vouchers the 'wrong way' around. from Eu to UK.

I must be missing it as well.
I love it anywhere from 30k to 250k for a motorhome and people are worried about a few quid difference on a channel crossing.:cool:
We wish. It all counts when you have no income(y)

DFDS operate height gauges automatically at Dover. When there used to be 2 heights available if you'd booked on wrong one They'd get right funny. Staff in the office were ok but on the check in the woman I got was obnoxious.
Yet at Dunkirk they aren't interested .

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Even booking months in advance I have never managed to get the tunnel within double of a ferry crossing . & I'm paying extra for a flexible croosing as well so another 25quid could be saved. You also can't use vouchers the 'wrong way' around. from Eu to UK.

I've done it both ways - well in advance and short notice - and whenever I've checked the tunnel has never been more than about £30 ish more expensive than the Dover - Calais ferry. That's before any vouchers are applied.

I never bother with flexible crossing, just the normal booking is plenty flexible enough for me.

Reactions: Pia
Upvote 0

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
How much extra do you folks add on for the satellite dish and an omnidirectional aerial. Our height is 2.65m not sure how much to add to that when booking the tunnel. Hate ferries(n)...MOH has to lie down :sick:for the whole sea journey,and I wander the ship alone:whistle:...soooooooo boring....whatever extra it costs to go by tunnel it's worth every cent:D

Upvote 0

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
We prefer to use the Tunnel for various reasons (not in order of importance)

1. I have inherited Nelson's seasickness gene
2. We prefer to be with our dog(s)
3. Shorter journey time
4. Avoid Dover
5. Ferry time is soooo boring

Yes, it costs more but it's not as if it is our money we're spending, it would only go to our heirs.

Upvote 0

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
How much extra do you folks add on for the satellite dish and an omnidirectional aerial. Our height is 2.65m not sure how much to add to that when booking the tunnel. Hate ferries(n)...MOH has to lie down :sick:for the whole sea journey,and I wander the ship alone:whistle:...soooooooo boring....whatever extra it costs to go by tunnel it's worth every cent:D

sat dish usually 40cm so would put you just over 3 meters high

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've done it both ways - well in advance and short notice - and whenever I've checked the tunnel has never been more than about £30 ish more expensive than the Dover - Calais ferry. That's before any vouchers are applied.

I never bother with flexible crossing, just the normal booking is plenty flexible enough for me.
I always go for a flexible ferry fare from Dunkirk on dfds as that allows me to use any ferry 3 days either side of what I've booked at no extra cost whatsoever , subject to space available. As I'm travelling such a distance & with the fixed time period for the dog , who has his paperwork done here, it is ideal for me.
I always compare the ferry / tunnel & in the past would have used them if price wasn't so different, Even allowing for the possible illegal aggro.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
images.jpeg

What!!! Put the dogs on the ferry!
Tunnel for us every time.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We once booked a ferry through the CC and they put the wrong size down for our van , we didn't realise until we arrived at the port were pulled over and had to pay extra and as it was busy nearly missed the ferry!
Needless to say we check and double check and always give the correct height and length( including bike rack and bikes!)
Snap

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Fairly easy to measure without any guesswork. Length of straight 4" x 4" laid across highest point (use spirit level if rounded, such as sat dome) then tape measure to ground.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Just hope you are not the last vehicle up the ramp ...... you may find your back ent hanging over the stern!:rolleyes:

I had a Hymer towing a Smart car on an A frame, crossing from Lymington to IOW. All booked on Line and I under measured for obvious reasons. On arriving on a busy August Saturday, I was pulled out of the queue as I was a LONG vehicle and had to go on last in the centre lane, the chap doing the marshaling didn't query the length but as I went on he drove me right up to the overhead deck leaving 1/2 inch and when they closed up the rear ramp I started to panic but luckily it stopped just short of the rear of the car again about 1/2 inch, that was the last time that I fibbed.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

You don't have to tell them you've got a satellite dish on the roof. In fact, it doesn't ask you how high the van is, except for asking if you have a roofbox or bikes with you. (You don't watch "The Box" on the roof do you);)

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
You don't have to tell them you've got a satellite dish on the roof. In fact, it doesn't ask you how high the van is, except for asking if you have a roofbox or bikes with you. (You don't watch "The Box" on the roof do you);)
The boss lady used to do our ferry bookings, but I'm sure I recollect there being height categories with some of the companies, where we had to state which height limit we were under ?

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The boss lady used to do our ferry bookings, but I'm sure I recollect there being height categories with some of the companies, where we had to state which height limit we were under ?

I do apologise. From reading your input I thought you were talking about the Tunnel.
Brittany ferries have a 'Below 2.6 Mtrs''Below 3 Mtrs' and another even taller but as ours sneaks in at 2.95mts I don't read any further.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
No, I apologise :whistle2:

The OP was referring to ferries and that thought stuck, but on re-reading Pia's post, it states "tunnel", so your response was correct and mine wasn't :cheers:

Reactions: Pia
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We have a 544 too and although it is 6.65m I have always booked it as up to 6.5m and even though BF have usually measured we have never been asked to pay more. Now that could be because I have always declared the bike rack, even when it is not carrying bikes, because even when folded it adds another foot onto the length and when down adds a yard. I won't be changing my strategy anytime soon! Gary

Upvote 0

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Thanks folks..for all your helpful responses....we'll continue to use the tunnel where height is not an issue.....though from time to time we do sail from/to Santander so the height is then an issue.:D

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I have booked several times through BF and always stated that van was 6m ..anyway thought I would measure it for once .and horrors its 6.1 m rang BF and told them .they told me not to worry even though its a foot longer than I have put on my latest booking in June. .so will wait and see ..

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back