You must have tried this before but will I get caught ? (1 Viewer)

barwik

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
dont own one - yet !
Exp
Hi all , Just booked our first trip abroad in our Hymer B544 - ( excited already ) - Catching the ferry to Dunkirk etc .
Now .... I've booked it as 6,5m but to be exact my van is 6.6m so I'm telling a little white lie - others must have tried it on I'm sure - did it work ? did you save a few quid ? ( I'm a yorkshireman )

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I have to say we had a B544 and for about 5 years was telling everyone what super prices we were getting on the ferry. It wasn't until had to book a crossing back home on my iphone whilst traveling through France that I discovered that previously I had not been expanding the drop down box and selecting 6.5 mtr+ but had been booking as a 2.5mtr vehicle. Decided to chance it one more time and if got stopped would plead ignorance - never got queried. Now have a 7.5mtr van so don't feel like chanching it!!

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Hi all , Just booked our first trip abroad in our Hymer B544 - ( excited already ) - Catching the ferry to Dunkirk etc .
Now .... I've booked it as 6,5m but to be exact my van is 6.6m so I'm telling a little white lie - others must have tried it on I'm sure - did it work ? did you save a few quid ? ( I'm a yorkshireman )
You will get caught, probably because I've just sent them a copy of your post.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If your MH has the number 544 on the side you can always plead ignorance and say you thought it was the length, we always booked our 640 caravan on as 6.4m even though that was just the body length, never got checked, although at Portsmouth they have measurements painted on the check in booth lane!!

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
The ferry companies have a special section in their guides, called the TAY :) This helps folk like you and me :)

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have been measured but 100 mm is not a lot so it depends how good the measurers are.

Martin

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as i recall it works in 300mm increments. the lines marked on the lane are compared by the camera, if you fit within the box + or - 300mm ok. if it looks suspicious or ambiguous the van gets measured. every now and then there is a purge by the ferry company
i used to travel by ferry frequently with vans and lorries and occasionally would get checked

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We once booked a ferry through the CC and they put the wrong size down for our van , we didn't realise until we arrived at the port were pulled over and had to pay extra and as it was busy nearly missed the ferry!
Needless to say we check and double check and always give the correct height and length( including bike rack and bikes!)

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If your MH has the number 544 on the side you can always plead ignorance and say you thought it was the length, we always booked our 640 caravan on as 6.4m even though that was just the body length, never got checked, although at Portsmouth they have measurements painted on the check in booth lane!!

I did the same thing. I assumed 650 was the length of the vehicle. Only now seeing your post, @DavidG58 , I think I was wrong :coffee:. Never got stopped though. I'm sure the same measurement was written on the card I found attached to the sun visor. Bugger, that'll keep me awake now.......

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
was measured for height on a danish ferry once and they were not going to let me on as they said i had not declared the correct height.. the ferry was busy and only after a lot of debate and eventually proving it was the paperwork they issued and not my declaration that was at fault was i allowed on.. the ramps were been raised as i drove on :D
and on a trip round the western isles @irnbru booked me on a ferry without declaring my correct length:pinocchio: and then frightened the crap out of me by saying they were measuring all the vans..:rofl:

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I don't think they will be too bothered and are quite considerate, they usually ask whether you prefer the extra 100mm chain-sawed from the front, or the rear :rofl:

Upvote 0

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Brittany ferries Portsmouth the lady came out from the booth and measured our van with a surveyors tape .

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
tunnels very expensive I think - I've paid 160 return for the ferry inc the daft dog

Myth.

I sometimes cross check when I book the tunnel and more often than not it's close enough to the equivalent ferry price as makes no difference.

I've found, and posted, examples in the past where the tunnel is actually cheaper than a Dover - Calais ferry for a crossing at the same time.

Plus if you use vouchers it makes the tunnel even cheaper.

Even if it was actually noticeably more expensive it's worth paying a premium for the sheer convenience, flexibility and speed. It's beats every other possible channel crossing hands down on all three of those things.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
tunnels very expensive I think - I've paid 160 return for the ferry inc the daft dog
Yes but how does it compare if you tell the ferry the correct measurements, makes no difference on the tunnel.

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

My last Chunnel trip was £82 outbound and £80 homeward bound total £162, I'd rather pay the extra £2 I think especially as I would be in the up to 9 metres and under 4 metres high class.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think you are most likely to get measured at peak period times when the ferries need to know how much room they have so they can use their space to best of their ability. I know @Brendan got measured once in the western Isles.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
At heart we are all fraudsters and thieves - or wish we were.

At heart I might wish I was many things and I like a bargain as much as the next person, but I couldn't imagine stealing from anyone, nor would I deliberately lie about the size of my van, be it height for tolls, or length for ferries.

Like the OP, my mother is from Yorkshire and as kids, she taught us to work hard and save lots, but thankfully I didn't inherit that overwhelming desire to save every penny possible that is evident in some from those parts :D

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My last Chunnel trip was £82 outbound and £80 homeward bound total £162, I'd rather pay the extra £2 I think especially as I would be in the up to 9 metres and under 4 metres high class.
With the dog though that would add another £36, so £198 compared to £160.

For us its the tunnel every time especially as we can use Tesco deal vouchers to get it for a third of the cost (plus dogs) or open a Frequent Traveller account when a single crossing costs £55, return £110 (plus dogs)

Reactions: BGB
Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Chunnel for us every time - costs us "nothing" and anyway Bren hates sea crossings. Plus dog is not cooped up on his own in a strange noisy environment. Plus it's far quicker than a ferry.

Extra for the dog is immaterial, you pay £18 each way on any crossing - it's a DEFRA thing. Unfortunately you can't use Tesco vouchers for it though.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Chunnel for us every time - costs us "nothing" and anyway Bren hates sea crossings. Plus dog is not cooped up on his own in a strange noisy environment. Plus it's far quicker than a ferry.

Extra for the dog is immaterial, you pay £18 each way on any crossing - it's a DEFRA thing. Unfortunately you can't use Tesco vouchers for it though.
Agree except that ET charge £3 more per dog each way than most ferry companies, so £6 extra for a return than the ferries.

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We are 6.6 metre, I put down 6.5 with a cycle carrier. The lady got out and measured us comimg over.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Agree except that ET charge £3 more per dog each way than most ferry companies, so £6 extra for a return than the ferries.

Thanks for that, didn't realise, but it won't change our minds.
However a question will be asked next time I book a tunnel crossing!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back