Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Agh the real Portugal........you mean where the Portuguese live
?
In the blocks of flats around Lisbon, other cities and towns and even to be found in places on the Algarve.

Or do you mean the vision of rural tranquility that visitors seek where the people are dirt poor and live in quaint tumbledown hovels so that visitors can say they have seen the real Portugal!:)

Having lived in Portugal for a few years tbe 'real ' Portugal is good fun,lime going to a Potuguese danci.gnight in a local bar, going to local festivals put on for the benefit of the locals. Getting to know local people, and discovering just how nice they are and what good neighbors they are. All you really have to do is spend some time away from the tourist hot spots, where the cafes don't do Enish breakfasts but decent food the locals like.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: 7 years
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Agreed. The real Portugal in which both poverty and wealth live side by side, where respect is not earned by material possessions, where rural communities welcome strangers with open arms, share their culture and still (surprisingly in this age) hold the British in high regard. A Portugal where people can still safely leave their doors unlocked and allow their children to play in the street and then take them to dine at the local restaurant as a family, without causing mayhem to others

Comparing the tourist hot spots of the Algarve with the real Portugal (in general terms) is not dissimilar to comparing Brighton with the Yorkshire Dales.

Deleted User
What annoys me is some peoples complete dismissal of the Algarve when in fact the Algarve is a very large area, most of which is not like the tourist hotspots of Albufeira, Vilamoura etc.

The Algarve does undoubtedly rely on tourism as does much of 'real' Portugal, when we visit we are the tourists.

I choose to spend most of the winter near Tavira, which is in the Algarve, it is relatively unspoilt and tourism is undoubtedly the mainstay of the economy but not exclusively. I don't think there are too many places that serve English breakfasts but there will be some.

Nowhere on the Algarve is more than a few miles from what I prefer to call Rural Portugal, as others have said it is there on the Algarve if you are prepared to look and take the blinkers off.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We are in the 'Frozen' North @ Viana do Castelo where the temp is steady at about 20 degs.

The local Le Clerc (yes the french one) is selling diesel at 1.154 with an offer that if you spend €50 you get 6 cents a litre off and with a €100 spend it gives a 10 cent discount.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
As said above,little villages wealthy and not so wealthy,all rubbing along naturaly,kids free to be out and about without fear,going out to restaurants with the whole family in the evening.
Local festivals,games for kids and adults,roast pork with everything,wine and dancing fri/sat. Sunday,around come the accordian and fiddle players to your houses,starting to collect for next years knees up. I like the accordion music,French style,so asked for a bit of that...... I was told NO! You are in Portugal now......Straight into some French style playing with a laugh,they may be poor in some ways,but they are self sufficient in other ways,growing their own food,keeping "Classic vehicles...? On the road. (Renault 4L's/Peugeots out of the arc,and 2 stroke m/cycles that black the sky out,when running at full chat!)
Nobody goes short,just look at the "Old?" houses,how many have a new shell of a house on the land next to it? That is for the family members who go off out into the world to earn a living,for when they come home.
Tea Bag.Loving it.
PS. Just read "emmitdb's post. Intermarche diesel Euro 1.13 per litre. at Tabua. Come on down,the price is right!!LOL

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Double entry

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
What annoys me is some peoples complete dismissal of the Algarve when in fact the Algarve is a very large area, most of which is not like the tourist hotspots of Albufeira, Vilamoura etc.

Nowhere on the Algarve is more than a few miles from what I prefer to call Rural Portugal, as others have said it is there on the Algarve if you are prepared to look and take the blinkers off.

I fully agree, here at Fuseta in the Algarve it is far from touristy, in fact apart from this modest sized campsite, a couple of 1 star "commercial" hotels and the Seamans Mission there are only the towns residents here.

The main industry by far is fishing (there are grillions of fishing boats here) also a good daily fresh fish & produce market 5 minutes walk from the site

A lovely old unspoilt rural small town/largish village - great place :) :) :)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
We loved Portugal. We stayed mainly in Alvor and silves. The people where just great. We are going back next year. And as for your French family we had a couple who just had to shout to there friends who where only 3 mtrs away. So I shouted to my friend Teknik 155. And they asked why. And a couple told them it is because you are shouting. They did talk very quiet after that. And we even shared a bottle of wine. Mine].

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: 7 years
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
There are many places in the Algarve that I regard as unspoiled, and one doesn't have to travel far inland to see an entirely different world from the likes of Villamoura, Armação de Pêra , Pria da Rocha, Albufeira, the dreadful Oura, the golfing hells and so forth . Tavira, Alvor to a lesser extent (a stone's throw from Pria da Rocha), Loures, Monchique, Paderne, the Barragems, the list of such far less commercial havens is endless.

I have "done" the south as a destination over many more years than I care to remember. With 3 years living (well, with one foot) in the north, I have been overwhelmed by the beauty. Lisbon is not all high rise and Holiday Inn, there are parks, ancient monuments and the nearby jewels in the crown of Sintra and Cascais. A little further north lies the Palacia Nationale at Mafra, Torres Vedras, the Berlinga islands off Peniche, the wonderful and magical medieval castle of Obidos, the lagoons at Arelho de Foz and São Martinho do Porto, the splendour of Alcobaça and Batalha monasteries, Tomar and the natural majesty of Castelo do Bode. And I haven't even started on Porto, yet.

And everywhere I have witnessed nothing but warmth and decency. Doors are left unlocked if not actually ajar overnight, children sit peacefully with their parents and their grandparents to dine, a reasonable wine box of 6 litres can be bought for 1 euro a litre (yes, cheaper than diesel) and a couple can dine fairly well (and drink themselves into unconsciousness) for around 25 euros. The supermarkets are full of a huge variety of fresh vegetables and English truly is the second language of the Portuguese.

Much as I love the country of my birth, my adopted country has welcomed me with open arms and that is where we have chosen to spend our retirement years (when they eventually arrive). Sounds like I shall have plenty of good company, too :)

panda

Free Member
Dec 16, 2011
notts
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1996
We loved Olhao and Quarteira and found the people were very friendly and even though we found it too far to drive there now, we did for ten years, we still look forward to flight holidays there.

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
We loved Portugal. We stayed mainly in Alvor and silves. The people where just great. We are going back next year. And as for your French family we had a couple who just had to shout to there friends who where only 3 mtrs away. So I shouted to my friend Teknik 155. And they asked why. And a couple told them it is because you are shouting. They did talk very quiet after that. And we even shared a bottle of wine. Mine].

We are going to Alvor in a weeks time :)

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
We
We loved Olhao and Quarteira and found the people were very friendly and even though we found it too far to drive there now, we did for ten years, we still look forward to flight holidays there.

We too like Quarteira and intend going there in about 10 days time :)

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
I'm sure you'll love the place. Some great beach restaurants just to the Pria da Rocha side if Alvor include the Atlantido, and plenty of wild camping
Don't give them all away. The price will go up before we can get there again

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Love Portugal, had two long holidays there, taking and picking up youngest daughter when she went to uni in Lisbon. Had to smile at campsite reception when a Spanish lady was told "we don't speak Spanish" she had to switch to English. :)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
@Teuchter . We hope you have much fun there as we did. Are you going to camping Alvor. Or the aire on the sea front. If you go to the camp site go to the upstairs bar. The food up there is very good.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My people tell me that the Bus Bar and Cafe at the Portimao Marina "aire" has been closed up and that the water has been turned off. The word is that they are only taking "fees" for one day at a time.

Apparently there was a meeting with quite a few "suits" there today at 3.00 pm.

There have been rumours about this place being closed down for quite some time now... maybe this time those rumours are true.

All those motorhomes chasing around to find spaces on nearby sites is not something I want to think about.

Even some of my "secret", out of the way, places might get taken over... :(

But... it could just be more rumours and speculation...

We'll see.

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
@Teuchter . We hope you have much fun there as we did. Are you going to camping Alvor. Or the aire on the sea front. If you go to the camp site go to the upstairs bar. The food up there is very good.

Probably Camping Alvor - thanks for the "heads up" :)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
If you have ACCI card. It is only 13euros a night. @Teuchter . The aire is 7euros a night with elec.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Thanx for the info JJ its a shame if they shut the aire

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
Still at Camping Fuzet now at a safe distance from M & MMe le Toad!! so the boss is happy!! :) - and if SWMBO is happy then there is at least a chance that I will be allowed to be happy ;)

Lovely weather 20+ deg and wall to wall sunshine - we do really like Fuzeta - intend moving on on Tuesday - Turiscampo at Lagos, Camping Alvor near Portimao, Orbitur Camping Quarteira in that order (3 or 4 nights on each)

Then begin the trek to Santander - Camping Villsom near Seville, Camping Caceres at Caceres & Camping El Astral Tordesillas 1 night on each then Santander and 1800 ferry on Wednesday 23rd Nov (about 160 to 180 miles a day - far enough at our age!!)

Ferry arrives Portsmouth at 1700 Thursday 24th - home in Lee on the Solent 20 minutes after leaving ship!! :D

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
My people tell me that the Bus Bar and Cafe at the Portimao Marina "aire" has been closed up and that the water has been turned off. The word is that they are only taking "fees" for one day at a time.

Apparently there was a meeting with quite a few "suits" there today at 3.00 pm.

There have been rumours about this place being closed down for quite some time now... maybe this time those rumours are true.

All those motorhomes chasing around to find spaces on nearby sites is not something I want to think about.

Even some of my "secret", out of the way, places might get taken over... :(

But... it could just be more rumours and speculation...

We'll see.

JJ :cool:
What a shame the guys last year spent a lot of time in and around the bus improving it.

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
We are now at Camping Alvor near Portimao and a very nice site it is with the town close by for bars, restaurants etc. (n)

Since leaving Fuzeta we spent a few days at Turiscampo near Lagos - a truly grand site - a bus stop outside the gate for Lagos and a small village with an excellent restaurant a 15 minute walk away. (n)

Next stop was Sagres - the Orbitur campsite could do with some tlc but is clean and whilst being situated in lovely open country is only a short bike ride from town. Watched anglers catching fish from 300 foot cliffs :eek:

Away from places like Albufeira and Villamoura etc. the Algarve has lots of lovely unspoilt countryside and indeed miles of unspoilt coast line with rugged cliffs and secluded beaches - also amazed how reasonable prices were - eg breakfast in Intermarche Sagres cafe - 2 coffees, 1 sausage roll & 1 croissant - 2.55 Euros!!!! :)

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
In the local bars in Conceicao a 33cl bottle of Sagres is 90c or at the posh place €1, Prato do dia varies from €5 to €7.50 usually including wine and coffee.

Branded beers such as Sagres or Super Bock are expensive at full price but the supermarkets always have one or other on offer, usually works out around €1.50 a litre or there is always Aldi or Lidl cheap beers at around 90c/litre.

Bought a chicken in the supermarket for €1.48 a kilo, on offer from the ridiculously exorbitant normal price of €1.98/k. Lamb chops on offer at €8.99/k.

Diesel in Tavira is €1.18, cheap place in Ayamonte (Spain) is around €1.09, hardly enough to make me change my plans.

If you think those prices are expensive try Italy or France , Italy Diesel €1.30 to €1.50.

Gazole average price from Strasbourg to Dieppe around €1.11 to €1.13 at the moment unless you stray into a motorway services..

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
Have you been getting your emoticons mixed up?(n)(y) or am I missing something:)

Whoops!! :confused: spot on should have been (y) (y) senior moment!! - or maybe a trip to specsavers!!:(

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We are going to Alvor in a weeks time :)

We are going to Alvor when we eventually get there (which could be in as little as a few days but might be a month)
Emmitdb, News at 7.38pm Serta, Portugal

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Just returned from a couple of weeks in the Algarve where we have an apartment in Lagos,which we like because it is not just a tourist town,having a rich history,back streets to explore,at least five beaches,and more good restaurants than you can shake a stick at.
The food is fantastic,the wine is cheap,and the people are wonderful.
We haven't yet bought a motor home,but we do a lot of Moho spotting when we're out and about (sad but true).
Haven't been into the official sites,but can tell you that there are often folk wild camping at Meia Praia which is a 4kilometre beach,also Porto do Mos which is also a good walk,and has a couple of good restaurants.
Can't tell you if it's legal to stay overnight at these two,but I don't recall seeing any anti signs and I don't think you would have a problem this time of year.
There are also some wilder areas if you go up to Aljezur and then head west to the Atlantic.
It's certainly not difficult to get away from tourist ares.....10 mins driving and you're heading for the hills,half an hour and you're on the fantastic west coast,nowt between you and Trumpland,save the briney.
Hope you have a fantastic time in Portugal,we always do,and one day we'll be doing the trip you are now planning.
Pod.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back