LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Off to Portugal for 3 weeks on Tuesday and fancy staying at some new (to us) campsites, staying 3 or 4 days on each possibles are:-

Turiscampo Lagos
Camping Alvor Portimao
Camping Monte Gordo

Anyone tried any of those 3? - recommendations?

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Try Camperstop Messines - lovely one in the countryside, very quiet. Lovely walks, some organised by the owner Andy. He also organises meals out, takes you in his vehicle for a couple of euros, even does shopping for you. There are hot showers, toilets and good emptying facilities and washing machine. Good price. Only downside, if you do not have solar or a generator, there is no electric hookup.

Enjoy your trip.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Off to Portugal for 3 weeks on Tuesday and fancy staying at some new (to us) campsites, staying 3 or 4 days on each possibles are:-

Turiscampo Lagos
Camping Alvor Portimao
Camping Monte Gordo

Anyone tried any of those 3? - recommendations?

No recommendations as such -but all good,i like lagos best,
Portimao is ok,and so is Monte Gordo.
we have not been there for over a year now ,someone will be along to give you an update---enjoy!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Just left Turiscampo after 3 weeks been there twice before. Great site with increasingly good facilities, Restaurant and bar is enjoyable with either their buffet or a la carte. The only downside is it is a bit out of the way, you can cycle to Luz or even Lagos if you are energetic, but hiring a car offers more exploring opportunities.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Just thought it has a large snow bird population at this time of year so if you want a Delux pitch (water and drain) book online now. They are flexible when you get there. Also 6 amp in the price, 10 amp available but extra but the guy who unlocks the box wont ask.

Deleted User
Camping Milfontes on the Alentejo coast, site is 'Portuguese' but OK and in a nice area.

Not stopped at Turiscampo for many years but gets good reviews these days.

Camping Alvor is OK, not stopped there but looked round a couple of times, I think it may be in the ACSI discount scheme but not sure. We would have no qualms about stopping there.

Camping Monte Gordo, again have never stopped there but pass by fairly often, good location close to Monte Gordo (touristy, beach) and Vila Real do Santo Antonio (Portuguese, ferry to Ayamonte, Spain).

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Thank for all the replies so far - as an aside anyone know if the Orbital site at Quarteira is still open? - last time we were there there were rumours that it was going to be sold for building land. I think we also stayed at an Aire close to there - a big car park where a market was held once a week.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Thank for all the replies so far - as an aside anyone know if the Orbital site at Quarteira is still open? - last time we were there there were rumours that it was going to be sold for building land. I think we also stayed at an Aire close to there - a big car park where a market was held once a week.
Heard it was shutting end Oct for the reason you said.

toledo

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2011
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Life Member
Just done 2weeks to expensive not very good ares weather now got bad so moving down to Spain

Deleted User
Just done 2weeks to expensive not very good ares weather now got bad so moving down to Spain

What was too expensive?

Which aires were not very good?

Weather good in Tavira and set fair for next week

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Turiscampo is the best run site we have ever stayed at bar none.....................

The Tincas

toledo

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2011
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Life Member
The beer food expensive DIESEL 1.25 a litre

Deleted User
The beer food expensive DIESEL 1.25 a litre

In the local bars in Conceicao a 33cl bottle of Sagres is 90c or at the posh place €1, Prato do dia varies from €5 to €7.50 usually including wine and coffee.

Branded beers such as Sagres or Super Bock are expensive at full price but the supermarkets always have one or other on offer, usually works out around €1.50 a litre or there is always Aldi or Lidl cheap beers at around 90c/litre.

Bought a chicken in the supermarket for €1.48 a kilo, on offer from the ridiculously exorbitant normal price of €1.98/k. Lamb chops on offer at €8.99/k.

Diesel in Tavira is €1.18, cheap place in Ayamonte (Spain) is around €1.09, hardly enough to make me change my plans.

If you think those prices are expensive try Italy or France , Italy Diesel €1.30 to €1.50.

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
@matamoros - do you happen to know if the rumours of the imminent closure of the orbital site at Quarteira are true - we have stayed there last year and the year before and both times we were told it was to close soon for building development! - no mention of closure on their website!:confused:

Deleted User
@matamoros - do you happen to know if the rumours of the imminent closure of the orbital site at Quarteira are true - we have stayed there last year and the year before and both times we were told it was to close soon for building development! - no mention of closure on their website!:confused:

I'm sorry I don't, we don't venture over that way much but one thing I can say is that rumours of the imminent closure of that site have been around for about 15 years that I know of.

BTW you never mentioned Camping Ria Formosa at Cabanas in your list, have you something against us:)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years

Stayed there around 2007 and it was supposed to be closing then.:LOL:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
We went to camping Alvor. Really nice site 13euros a night on acci. If you go there. Go upstairs to the bar. and ask for sausage Baggett. They have real English bangers in them. So many we could not finish them.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
In the local bars in Conceicao a 33cl bottle of Sagres is 90c or at the posh place €1, Prato do dia varies from €5 to €7.50 usually including wine and coffee.

Branded beers such as Sagres or Super Bock are expensive at full price but the supermarkets always have one or other on offer, usually works out around €1.50 a litre or there is always Aldi or Lidl cheap beers at around 90c/litre.

Bought a chicken in the supermarket for €1.48 a kilo, on offer from the ridiculously exorbitant normal price of €1.98/k. Lamb chops on offer at €8.99/k.

Diesel in Tavira is €1.18, cheap place in Ayamonte (Spain) is around €1.09, hardly enough to make me change my plans.

If you think those prices are expensive try Italy or France , Italy Diesel €1.30 to €1.50.

Agree prices are in general very reasonable. A group of went out for dinner last week and for three courses and drink it was about 8 a head. Drink can very cheap at under a euro for drinkable wine and beer. A 400 or 500 ml beer ranges from 2 to 3 euros ina bar. Yes diesel is not as cheap as it used to be but I filled up last week for 1.149 a litre though BP charges 1.299. Best prices are at Jumbo or Intermarche but there are a few chains selling at around the 1.20 point. The biggest plus though is at least 10 degrees warmer than the UK and the people are wonderful.

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I'm sorry I don't, we don't venture over that way much but one thing I can say is that rumours of the imminent closure of that site have been around for about 15 years that I know of.

BTW you never mentioned Camping Ria Formosa at Cabanas in your list, have you something against us:)

Have stayed there - but prefer

Parque de Campismo Fuzeta

Love it there - that can't be too far from your neck of the woods!

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp

Deleted User
Have stayed there - but prefer

Parque de Campismo Fuzeta

Love it there - that can't be too far from your neck of the woods!

No it's not far we regularly take our bikes on the train to Fuzeta, cycle to Olhao and either have lunch there or back in Fuzeta. We looked at that site when we were siting our 5'er but at the time it was very crowded and it would have been difficult to get on, like the location though.

We sold a Hymer caravan to a Frenchman last year and we towed it over to that site for him to leave on there, it looked a lot tidier than when we looked previously and the manager was very friendly.

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
No it's not far we regularly take our bikes on the train to Fuzeta, cycle to Olhao and either have lunch there or back in Fuzeta. We looked at that site when we were siting our 5'er but at the time it was very crowded and it would have been difficult to get on, like the location though.

We sold a Hymer caravan to a Frenchman last year and we towed it over to that site for him to leave on there, it looked a lot tidier than when we looked previously and the manager was very friendly.

The site is very popular with the French - usually about 60% to 70% french vans when we have been there and like the one at Ria Formosa can be pretty full in the winter but it seems to have a more "equitable" balance of nationality s! :)

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp

The site is very popular with the French - usually about 60% to 70% french vans when we have been there and like the one at Ria Formosa can be pretty full in the winter but it seems to have a more "equitable" balance of nationality s! :)

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
Now in Portugal - a good 2 day trip down!

As the boat arrived in Santander at 1830 and I was not keen to drive too far in Spain at night we stopped at an Aire at Aguilla de Campoo, about an hour travelling, for the 1st night - a reasonable Aire but nothing special. 2nd night stayed at Camping Caceres (we have used it as a stopover before) it is a lovely site about 300 miles further South from Aguilla de Campoo.

Then today after an other 250 miles arrived at Camping de Monte Gordo just in Portugal. Nice looking site from the outside - way "over the top" security would have done "Stalag Luft" proud! - went in to the site on foot to find a decent pitch and the nice looks from the outside faded significantly!! - The site has a really scruffy appearance, not helped by the many very scruffy permanently sited but unoccupied vans on site - (probably about 75% of the total site occupancy) a quick look at the toilets - very scruffy! - all in all the only way I can think of to describe the site is - SCRUFFY!!! ;)

We did not stay so moved on to a site we like a lot at Fuseta and when we pitched Sarah switched on the coffee machine and it tripped the electric - I went to the box to reset it and our next door neighbour ( a gnarled ratty looking Frenchman) came roaring out of his awning where he had been watching TV and sped off in the direction of reception gesticulating wildly and mouthing all sorts of unintelligible rantings!! Within 2 minutes the Receptionist arrived with a key for the box to reset the trip closely followed by a very unhappy Monsieur le Frog, still mouthing his displeasure at the English on general and me in particular!! :cautious:

However with electricity now restored and me duly admonished peace returned to pitch No C24 at Camping Fuseta - for all of 5 minutes!!!!! - I went outside with the intention of going to the camp cafe when this gargantuan female harridan shot out of her awning with surprising alacrity (given her age and ample girth) and then proceeded to loudly berate me about their lack of electricity amongst other insulting comments - shock horror I thought we had tripped the electric again but no his TV was working ok and our electrics were still on!!! :confused:

What the said harridan did not know is that I have a reasonable command of the French language and informed her that indeed we had tripped the electric on arrival but all was fine and dandy now and I told her that the French were normally a polite nation but that she and her husband were definitely an exception to the rule and they both were downright rude!!

At this her face fell a mile (or should I say Kilometre) and she scuttled back in to her awning akin to a crab scuttling back to its hole!! :D

Welcome to Portugal and enjoy your holiday!!!! :( ;)

Deleted User
Now in Portugal - a good 2 day trip down!

As the boat arrived in Santander at 1830 and I was not keen to drive too far in Spain at night we stopped at an Aire at Aguilla de Campoo, about an hour travelling, for the 1st night - a reasonable Aire but nothing special. 2nd night stayed at Camping Caceres (we have used it as a stopover before) it is a lovely site about 300 miles further South from Aguilla de Campoo.

Then today after an other 250 miles arrived at Camping de Monte Gordo just in Portugal. Nice looking site from the outside - way "over the top" security would have done "Stalag Luft" proud! - went in to the site on foot to find a decent pitch and the nice looks from the outside faded significantly!! - The site has a really scruffy appearance, not helped by the many very scruffy permanently sited but unoccupied vans on site - (probably about 75% of the total site occupancy) a quick look at the toilets - very scruffy! - all in all the only way I can think of to describe the site is - SCRUFFY!!! ;)

We did not stay so moved on to a site we like a lot at Fuseta and when we pitched Sarah switched on the coffee machine and it tripped the electric - I went to the box to reset it and our next door neighbour ( a gnarled ratty looking Frenchman) came roaring out of his awning where he had been watching TV and sped off in the direction of reception gesticulating wildly and mouthing all sorts of unintelligible rantings!! Within 2 minutes the Receptionist arrived with a key for the box to reset the trip closely followed by a very unhappy Monsieur le Frog, still mouthing his displeasure at the English on general and me in particular!! :cautious:

However with electricity now restored and me duly admonished peace returned to pitch No C24 at Camping Fuseta - for all of 5 minutes!!!!! - I went outside with the intention of going to the camp cafe when this gargantuan female harridan shot out of her awning with surprising alacrity (given her age and ample girth) and then proceeded to loudly berate me about their lack of electricity amongst other insulting comments - shock horror I thought we had tripped the electric again but no his TV was working ok and our electrics were still on!!! :confused:

What the said harridan did not know is that I have a reasonable command of the French language and informed her that indeed we had tripped the electric on arrival but all was fine and dandy now and I told her that the French were normally a polite nation but that she and her husband were definitely an exception to the rule and they both were downright rude!!

At this her face fell a mile (or should I say Kilometre) and she scuttled back in to her awning akin to a crab scuttling back to its hole!! :D

Welcome to Portugal and enjoy your holiday!!!! :( ;)

We had the same experience with the security at Monte Gordo about 6 years ago, they wouldn't even let us through the gate with the pickup, that was enough for us and we have never looked round inside.

The last time we cycled past it did look a little neater than in previous years but I suppose all things are relative.

How long are you at Fuzeta? We may be over there in the next week or two.

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
We had the same experience with the security at Monte Gordo about 6 years ago, they wouldn't even let us through the gate with the pickup, that was enough for us and we have never looked round inside.

The last time we cycled past it did look a little neater than in previous years but I suppose all things are relative.

How long are you at Fuzeta? We may be over there in the next week or two.

We will probably only be here a couple of days, if my wife had her way we'd be on the road now after the reception from our neighbours, they are sitting in their awning now with several friends sticking pins in our effigies!! ;)

Deleted User
Tut tut.......sounds like you strayed away from the Algarve into some of the real Portugal.......

Agh the real Portugal........you mean where the Portuguese live
?
In the blocks of flats around Lisbon, other cities and towns and even to be found in places on the Algarve.

Or do you mean the vision of rural tranquility that visitors seek where the people are dirt poor and live in quaint tumbledown hovels so that visitors can say they have seen the real Portugal!:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back