Cliffandger Grand Tour (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Deutz are now just engine makers I think*, the Volvo group (the one that doesn't make cars but makes trucks and owns the bit of Renault which also makes truck - but not cars**) are the main shareholder.

*But there might be another company with the same name selling fire trucks!

**keep up at the back. They also own the Nissan which doesn't make cars either. :)

I'm trying to - but not succeeding:LOL:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Where are you both now? Been quiet and I'm missing the laughs and updates....come on get to work on this blog...what you thought you were on holiday?!:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well HELLO AGAIN My Funster Fans!! We are now sat at Gravelines with my Mifi working, so I can at LAST catch up. The sun has tried to break through and this is the view from the van - not a beach I know, but still boats and water.......
image.jpeg

To catch up then.

We left Austria, after paying the most expensive ACSI rate yet - €46 for two nights stay at a €17 site! Most sites we stayed at added extra taxes to the bill, but that was ridiculous!

We drove out of the land of the Sound of Music and Apfel Strudel in brilliant sunshine...... Oh yeah, like that's ever going to happen........
image.jpeg

We drove to Ulm, as previously recorded.

As I previously posted, there were disappointments all round I'm afraid. We didn't find the Deutz factory, (but that's maybe because we didn't look - sorry Phil @Taran_Las) and as I said, I didn't climb the church steps.

After having it recommended by our Stellplatz neighbours, and getting really excited, we DIDN'T visit the Erwin Hymer museum..... :( 'We' thought it was too far to do the 60km south and then back up again, and I have to admit, after researching it online, we wouldn't have been able to do it justice with the time we had.

We've decided that it's a visit we should do with @Mousy and @Mr Mousy, if only to rise to the challenge of convincing Martin that his life, (not to mention his MoHo) is definitely not complete.....:rofl:
image.jpeg

The day before we had walked around Ulm, but I have to say I wasn't impressed - apparently it had been flattened in WW2, but had been rebuilt to original designs, which is all well and good, but I think it makes it all a bit twee and false. Just me, but there you are. Our neighbours on the Stellplatz told us the Fisherman's Quarter was still original, but I had my doubts.....
image.jpeg

It had the tallest church in the world, but it's right in the middle of the shopping centre, and yet again, covered in scaffold! :mad:
image.jpeg

We decided instead to head to the Mosel area, and spend a couple of days there instead.

Our first stop was at a campercontact stop right on the river. As it was a Saturday, we had envisaged parking up, and then wandering along the Mosel in the evening sunshine, from one Biergarten to the next. Well it's all well and good to imagine, but sometimes the 'actual' throws a spanner in the works!

We rolled up at 'Weinbau Otto' (now I know you're all picturing a jolly, possibly bearded, probably rotund mein host - I know I was!) and the first impression was good.....
image.png

The sign said to pay the requisite €5 at the Weinstube Otto, at the top of the lane. 'Great' I thought, I can sample a cheeky Riesling while I pay, and have a bit of Anglo-German Banter with mein host....

The moss on the path and the overhanging branches that brushed the ground should have told me that it was a path not often trod (and the next morning we did infact witness the 'dance of the wanting to pay but not really' by two ladies from the Netherlands ....

1. Having packed the van, a walk up to the sign, which is in German....
2. A quick study of it, scratching of head to signify non understanding.....
3. A look up the lane, to see if anyone has clocked 'em.....
4. A quick (but still casual looking with hands behind back) walk back to the van, where the engine is running, and into gear and away with €5 still in pocket!

I on the other other hand walked up the path. Slipping on the moss, and fighting my way through the bush, I arrived at Otto's Wine Bar. Or what had been Otto's Wine Bar in the dim and distant past. The sign was still there, but it was clear that the wine bar had closed its doors a long time ago! :(

Being of a very honest disposition I knocked on the door, which set off the barking of what sounded like the dog from hell. I assumed the position of a 100 metre sprinter, ready to run if the dog came for me, and waited for the door to be opened.

Otto's cousin Onslow answered the door, complete with tattoos and string vest - he held out his hand and said '5 euros' - no 'bitte or danke' and certainly not the Anglo-German, Riesling fueled banter I had imagined - but I wasn't hanging around to be eaten by a very big Rottweiler, so I handed the money over and heard the door slam behind me as I beat a hasty retreat!

We were up early the next day to get to Bernkastel early enough to spend the day there. Why Bernkastel I hear you ask?

Now it wasn't planned this way, but I had another 'reminiscent moment'. I had been on a 'jolly' with two girlfriends back in 1986, so it was the 30th anniversary of my trip to Bernkastel.

The trip was described as a 'wine tasting' experience, and we stayed in a lovely guesthouse, whose owner had his own small vineyard behind his house. This is typical of the Mosel where there are 100s of family owned tiny vineyards, instead of the industrial sized outfits of France.

Now Sandra and Jean had obviously misread the description of the trip, and just used it as an excuse to drink a lot of wine and get very drunk. I on the other hand took it far more seriously and took a pen and note paper with me when we went down into the cellar for the 'experience'!

The astonishment on their faces was matched only by the look of sheer pleasure on the winemaker's face when he realised he actually had a willing pupil to whom he could explain the merits of each wine, instead of just pouring it, getting us all drunk, and cleaning up the mess later!

I still have the notes in my kitchen cupboard, (admittedly the writing gets a bit more difficult to read, the further through the notes you get) but they have stood me in good stead - I know my Spatlese from my Eiswein, and my Mit Pradikat from my Qualitatswein, whereas all Sandra and Jean got from the experience were very thick heads the next day - I remember asking them if they wanted a copy of my notes - I can't repeat their reply here.......

Anyway I digress - Bernkastel - I THINK our guesthouse was somewhere on the main road, but once again I can't really remember.....
image.jpeg

The vineyard on the hills behind the town is the Bernkastel Doctor vineyard.

The Bernkasteler Doctor is only 8.1 acres in size but it’s place in the wine world is legendarily grand. In the 13th century, the Archbishop of Trier was in this area of the Mosel Valley when he bacame deathly ill. After countless cures didn’t work, he was poured Riesling from a humble flask from this vineyard and was cured. From then on, it became known as “The Doctor”. Today, it is the most expensive agricultural land in all of Germany.

We walked into town, and although we bought some Riesling, we didn't buy any 'doctor' - 'how much!!!!' you hear him say.... What did I tell you girls......

Anyway, a pretty town, but yet again, too many souvenir shops...

image.png

image.jpeg

I have no idea what this signifies, but there seem to be pretzels and pigs involved, and no-one seems to be rubbing any of them for luck......!

I was intrigued by one shop though - Selling underpants with famous faces on them - the men's pants with Henry VIII were bad enough,
image.png

But.......

Part 2 in a bit......

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Yes please can't wait!! Hilarious ! Pants with famous people on the mind boggles!!:LOL:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Loving it, of course we are up for a hymer museum trip although I could be seriously tempted by a souvenir from the Carthargo factory down the road.

Those pants are intriguing, I can just see Martin saying "tonight Matthew I'm going to be Henry the eighth" might spice up our love life no end Ger. Who would you like Cliff to be?:rofl:

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Before I continue with Part 2.... @Mousy - no hesitation with that one....
image.jpeg

But back to my story and the other pair of pants in the shop...

Now SOME would say it's where she belongs..... ;)
image.png

I'm saying nuffin!

So, after having a quick walk around Bernkastel, and a coffee and weird pretzel type bread with bacon lardons and cheese thingy, we got back in the van and headed for Camping Echternacherbruck, on the border (literally) with Luxembourg.

The campsite is right on the river, and our pitch was lovely - big, with cut grass, overlooking the river and €17 - as advertised on the book!

The washing up stations left a bit to be desired though......
image.jpeg

and as with every European camp site we've visited, there are pitches being used as permanent 'static' caravan pitches, albeit with 'touring' vans, with burgeoning awnings and temporary sheds covering every inch of the pitch.

but this lady chose to 'say it with flowers'.....
image.png

GET ORF MY LAND!!!

Her neighbour was still awaiting delivery of the van, but they had already prepared the pitch....
image.png

We had the bonus of a lovely afternoon to sit out in the sunshine, before Cliff got the bikes off the van to cycle into Echternach. @Mousy Dawn, you won't be surprised to know that he's been nursing a slow puncture throughout the whole holiday, but no amount of pumping the tyre up that day would get us to Echternach, so the bikes went back on the van, and we walked over the bridge and into Luxembourg. It took all of 10 minutes!

There was a music festival at full swing when we wandered into the town square with the worst singers I think I have ever heard on the main stage! All I can say is that it doesn't take much to make Luxembourgers happy, because they were clapping and dancing along, and I can only think they must have been family and friends supporting the choir!

We walked around what is a lovely town, and will definitely visit again when we are back this way.

We drove through Luxembourg stopping to fill the tank with diesel, but unfortunately not at 89c but at 95c, which is still cheaper than anywhere else.

We had picked an Aires from Campercontact - which I have to say has been a brilliant resource to have on the iPad.

The Aires was in Bellum, on the side of a canal, with the odd HUGE barge chugging up and down throughout the evening.
image.jpeg

This one was so big I couldn't for the cockpit in!

Most of the barges seemed to have a man and a lady in the cockpit, with a lovely homely look in the cabin - net curtains and table lamps in the windows - I think if they are doing it as a life/career choice, they have chosen well!

We moved off this morning and after topping up with, wine, beer, salami, hamburgers, and real French butter, we drove to Gravelines. Not our usual last night stop, but as we were heading from the Belgian side, we thought we'd give it a go.

We like the Aires, and have wandered around the town, which we have to say has quite a depressed feel about it. It was absolutely dead - but that's typical of most provincial French towns! We wanted to eat out on the last night, but nothing seemed very inspirational, so we got a takeaway donor kebab and chips :eek: and went back to the van to enjoy the evening sunset.

As we walked back we saw about 20 immigrants sitting on a wall, which we haven't seen outside of Calais until now. But we saw a line of people sitting on the banks of the canal at Bellum this morning, so they could have been casual labour being dropped off after a days work, waiting for the bus back to the jungle - I can't say.

image.jpeg

Well, we are going to be up early and at the tunnel before the troublemakers get up, so I will send this post now. But before I go....

Now, I couldn't work out if this was a school or an old age people's home - but either way - who wouldn't want a fire escape like this!
image.jpeg

Oh and one for @Taran_Las you Phil....
image.png

Porsche museum and a happy face!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Great last thread of holiday! I like the outdoor washing up facilities ! If it's raining just leave it and return later!!:LOL:
Safe journey home and a big THANK YOU for taking the time to post your humorous threads and photos!! Enjoyed them immensely and inspired Rob to think about Croatia as a destination!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Before I continue with Part 2.... @Mousy - no hesitation with that one....
View attachment 111855

But back to my story and the other pair of pants in the shop...

Now SOME would say it's where she belongs..... ;)
View attachment 111856
I'm saying nuffin!

So, after having a quick walk around Bernkastel, and a coffee and weird pretzel type bread with bacon lardons and cheese thingy, we got back in the van and headed for Camping Echternacherbruck, on the border (literally) with Luxembourg.

The campsite is right on the river, and our pitch was lovely - big, with cut grass, overlooking the river and €17 - as advertised on the book!

The washing up stations left a bit to be desired though......
View attachment 111857

and as with every European camp site we've visited, there are pitches being used as permanent 'static' caravan pitches, albeit with 'touring' vans, with burgeoning awnings and temporary sheds covering every inch of the pitch.

but this lady chose to 'say it with flowers'.....
View attachment 111859
GET ORF MY LAND!!!

Her neighbour was still awaiting delivery of the van, but they had already prepared the pitch....
View attachment 111860

We had the bonus of a lovely afternoon to sit out in the sunshine, before Cliff got the bikes off the van to cycle into Echternach. @Mousy Dawn, you won't be surprised to know that he's been nursing a slow puncture throughout the whole holiday, but no amount of pumping the tyre up that day would get us to Echternach, so the bikes went back on the van, and we walked over the bridge and into Luxembourg. It took all of 10 minutes!

There was a music festival at full swing when we wandered into the town square with the worst singers I think I have ever heard on the main stage! All I can say is that it doesn't take much to make Luxembourgers happy, because they were clapping and dancing along, and I can only think they must have been family and friends supporting the choir!

We walked around what is a lovely town, and will definitely visit again when we are back this way.

We drove through Luxembourg stopping to fill the tank with diesel, but unfortunately not at 89c but at 95c, which is still cheaper than anywhere else.

We had picked an Aires from Campercontact - which I have to say has been a brilliant resource to have on the iPad.

The Aires was in Bellum, on the side of a canal, with the odd HUGE barge chugging up and down throughout the evening.
View attachment 111861
This one was so big I couldn't for the cockpit in!

Most of the barges seemed to have a man and a lady in the cockpit, with a lovely homely look in the cabin - net curtains and table lamps in the windows - I think if they are doing it as a life/career choice, they have chosen well!

We moved off this morning and after topping up with, wine, beer, salami, hamburgers, and real French butter, we drove to Gravelines. Not our usual last night stop, but as we were heading from the Belgian side, we thought we'd give it a go.

We like the Aires, and have wandered around the town, which we have to say has quite a depressed feel about it. It was absolutely dead - but that's typical of most provincial French towns! We wanted to eat out on the last night, but nothing seemed very inspirational, so we got a takeaway donor kebab and chips :eek: and went back to the van to enjoy the evening sunset.

As we walked back we saw about 20 immigrants sitting on a wall, which we haven't seen outside of Calais until now. But we saw a line of people sitting on the banks of the canal at Bellum this morning, so they could have been casual labour being dropped off after a days work, waiting for the bus back to the jungle - I can't say.

View attachment 111870

Well, we are going to be up early and at the tunnel before the troublemakers get up, so I will send this post now. But before I go....

Now, I couldn't work out if this was a school or an old age people's home - but either way - who wouldn't want a fire escape like this!
View attachment 111871

Oh and one for @Taran_Las you Phil....
View attachment 111872
Porsche museum and a happy face!
You sometimes see barges where they bring their car along, just sitting on the deck. A sort of nautical equivalent of a toad.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
L
You sometimes see barges where they bring their car along, just sitting on the deck. A sort of nautical equivalent of a toad.
Loved to watch them on the Moselle ,BMW cars ,bikes ,penned in children, plants etc lovely seeing them passing by .

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We saw one huge barge go past with a car, a boat, a motorbike and push bikes on the top - a real belt and braces bargee!

Reactions: DBK

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I'm still reeling from the thought of you in bed Ger, with wolverine :eek:

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I'm still reeling from the thought of you in bed Ger, with wolverine :eek:
I have never heard of a wolverine - I have only ever thought of him as Jean Valjean!

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Have enjoyed your daily updates & photos (y) so thank you! Looking forward to your next adventures & hope to get off on one or two of our own soon :)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I wanted to ask Ger - does the God who oversees the churches in 'Yugoslavia' still get offended by anyone's knees? I know he wasn't the same one as oversees the churches in Malta for instance, since he was only offended by men's knees, not ladies ones.

I found it terribly confusing because I thought all parts of the human body, male and female, were created by Him (in theory - Garden of Eden, Adam to begin with and then what He wrought out of that one rib)

I've never noticed that the churches in various other countries have the same strictures and wondered if it had now been relaxed where you've just been?

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I wanted to ask Ger - does the God who oversees the churches in 'Yugoslavia' still get offended by anyone's knees? I know he wasn't the same one as oversees the churches in Malta for instance, since he was only offended by men's knees, not ladies ones.

I found it terribly confusing because I thought all parts of the human body, male and female, were created by Him (in theory - Garden of Eden, Adam to begin with and then what He wrought out of that one rib)

I've never noticed that the churches in various other countries have the same strictures and wondered if it had now been relaxed where you've just been?
Hi Jenny,

I must admit I don't ever expose my knees in churches (or most other places for that matter - they are not a pretty sight), so couldn't say if He would be offended - we saw the occasional visitor with sleeveless tops and shorts wandering around the churches so I think it may all be much more relaxed. And as you say, and as they would have us believe, all was created by Him anyway!

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
L

Loved to watch them on the Moselle ,BMW cars ,bikes ,penned in children, plants etc lovely seeing them passing by .
I remember seeing them on the Rhine with the play pens on deck with the children paying happily and the washing blowing in the breeze just like a garden but on the deck of a barge .....used to sit watching them go past wondering what would be on the next one.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
@jumartoo @Anthea M - Judith and Anthea - thank you for those kind words - those who have met me know that my pen compensates for the slight (I wish :() hesitancy of my tongue........
Isn't there a saying "the pen is mightier than the voice" that's for you Ger but when you sing that's amazing!!! ( didn't see the uke in later photos was it on holiday too or did the sunbed baggers ban it?!!:ROFLMAO:...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back