Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I tried to buy a package off those satint guys for two straight days, kept getting through to support and not sales, promised half a dozen call backs that never happened. Then 5 full days after I signed with http://www.broadbandeverywhere.co.uk/ they called and asked why I called and could they help :doh: satelliteinternet.co.uk = Useless

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
I have looked at doing this for a while, but not already having a satellite dish on the MH it would still be quite expensive. Might look out for a second hand sat dish, get that fitted then find someone to add the extra LNB for internet.

Other option may be to go for a tripod mounted dish, not as convenient but a lot cheaper.

Not too bothered about satellite TV.

Hopefully if anyone goes through the DIY process they will update us to how they get on and up to date costs etc.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That sounds very good compared to Jim's £60 who are you with?
Steve
Jim's was a special unlimited deal for the period he was away. It is a lot less normally. You can get cheaper unlimited deals but they only work off-peak.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
I tried to buy a package off those satint guys for two straight days, kept getting through to support and not sales, promised half a dozen call backs that never happened. Then 5 full days after I signed with http://www.broadbandeverywhere.co.uk/ they called and asked why I called and could they help :doh: satelliteinternet.co.uk = Useless

I found satelliteinternet.co.uk the same, several messages and promises of phone calls back but nothing. I percivered because I felt they offered the equipment and package I wanted. I paid around £450 for the equipment and connection fee. And pay £29.95 a month for 10g, 8.5 download 1.5 upload, if you use your data you can restart your package early or there's a follow on allowance of 50g but at very slow speeds. I'm on a rolling 1 month contract.

Ive set mine up on a pole above the van, but would be fine on a tripod on the ground ( only comes with mount so you would have to spend money on chosen poles etc) We stay at a site 3-4 weeks and have been using it since August this year. Bit of a faff setting up as I have to remove the actual dish to allow me to fold it flat. But done it plenty of times and from start to finish takes about 20mins. Not as quick as a press of a button but works for us.

Speeds do vary during the day. With evening being the slowest. We're in Kent at the moment and are getting between 3.5-7.5mbs depending on time of day.
We were in the highlands a few weeks ago and this being closer to the edge of the zone 4 footprint speeds a little lower at 1.5-3.5 but as we've lived on the isle of mull and 1.5 was the norm that was just fine.

For us it works just fine. We're on a CL in Kent at the moment with poor Mobil coverage so no chance of 3G or more. We do have a mifi as optional use if required.

Shawn

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I found satelliteinternet.co.uk the same, several messages and promises of phone calls back but nothing. I percivered because I felt they offered the equipment and package I wanted. I paid around £450 for the equipment and connection fee. And pay £29.95 a month for 10g, 8.5 download 1.5 upload, if you use your data you can restart your package early or there's a follow on allowance of 50g but at very slow speeds. I'm on a rolling 1 month contract.
Shawn
That sounds just the job for me, I am really struggling to find where to buy the kit, modem & iLNB but I was reading on their website that they would not allow a dish not supplied by them so maybe buy theirs for £450 even if I don't use their dish, bit of a waste though.
Any chance of a photo of your set up so I can see what sort of iLNB they use. This dish below is exactly the same as mine and that is the sort of sideways iLNB I need so the dish can close down properly. it is also the same as the one @seanoo has on his home made setup which he managed to buy seconhand.
Steve
Sat Dish.jpg
17271-50d85dc78c9dcbfd317ae5a117f8f036.jpg

Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
That sounds just the job for me, I am really struggling to find where to buy the kit, modem & iLNB but I was reading on their website that they would not allow a dish not supplied by them so maybe buy theirs for £450 even if I don't use their dish, bit of a waste though.
Any chance of a photo of your set up so I can see what sort of iLNB they use. This dish below is exactly the same as mine and that is the sort of sideways iLNB I need so the dish can close down properly. it is also the same as the one @seanoo has on his home made setup which he managed to buy seconhand.
Steve

Hello Steve, only just back at the van so no photo tonight I'm afraid. When I go on to my laptop later this evening I should have the user manual that came with the kit, I'll send it to you. There are I think 4 different iLNBs for different zones etc. The position of the iLNB is adjustable depending where you are and what direction you need to point the dish.
I use dishpointer.com to get the exact settings for the dish. We normally know where we are staying next so before I pack down the dish I get the new settings for the next place. Made that mistake once, got there no phone signal for 3G so had to drive back up the road to get a signal to check the settings then back to site to set the dish up.

I'll dig out the information for you later and a couple of photos tomorrow.

Shawn

Reactions: Jim
Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Hello Steve, only just back at the van so no photo tonight I'm afraid. When I go on to my laptop later this evening I should have the user manual that came with the kit, I'll send it to you. There are I think 4 different iLNBs for different zones etc. The position of the iLNB is adjustable depending where you are and what direction you need to point the dish.
I use dishpointer.com to get the exact settings for the dish. We normally know where we are staying next so before I pack down the dish I get the new settings for the next place. Made that mistake once, got there no phone signal for 3G so had to drive back up the road to get a signal to check the settings then back to site to set the dish up.

I'll dig out the information for you later and a couple of photos tomorrow.

Shawn
hi shawn , there is only one type of ilnb used with the different zones and the position can stay flat {as in the little picture in the post above} pretty much all over europe except when i get down to southern spain then it needs a little adjusting.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Sorry that was a different company, SatADSL. I have looked at so many over the last few days.
Steve
hi steve , if i were you i would buy the hardware from satellite internet (beyondsl). £299 for the lot. can you get into the settings on your teleco dish? providing you can select astra 3 as a search satellite in your teleco system and enter any strong astra 3 horizontal transponder (lyngsat) then your dish will use the ilnb as a standard lnb. cheers sean

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
..... I think 4 different iLNBs for different zones etc. The position of the iLNB is adjustable depending where you are and what direction you need to point the dish......
Shawn
I think you must be on the Ka band which gives a higher speed but smaller footprints so not so good for the whole of Europe. I am not too interested in high speed, never had it, but would like the whole of Europe without fiddling so am looking at using the Ku band from Astra2 or Astra3.
Steve

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes the whole of Europe without messing about too much is what we wanted. My Oyster Internet finds it quickly. If I take the time to tell it where we are located, it finds it in just minute or two. So quick in fact, we'll stop for coffee at a rest stop and in the time it takes to boil the kettle, were logged on and on the Internet. Just what I need. :)

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
hi steve , if i were you i would buy the hardware from satellite internet (beyondsl). £299 for the lot. can you get into the settings on your teleco dish? providing you can select astra 3 as a search satellite in your teleco system and enter any strong astra 3 horizontal transponder (lyngsat) then your dish will use the ilnb as a standard lnb. cheers sean
Hi Sean,
That's interesting if I am reading it right, that the iLNB will double as a standard one. So the double one is just to have TV and Internet at the same time.
However I would think it best to reduce connections to increase signal and have the iLNB only connected to the modem and use the standard modem for doing the seeking. The www.satelliteinternet.co.uk site seems to be broken at the moment and they haven't answered my email question after three days yet. And I looked yesterday and couldn't find a way of buying just iLNB's & Modem.
Steve

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Yes the whole of Europe without messing about too much is what we wanted. My Oyster Internet finds it quickly. If I take the time to tell it where we are located, it finds it in just minute or two. So quick in fact, we'll stop for coffee at a rest stop and in the time it takes to boil the kettle, were logged on and on the Internet. Just what I need. :)
Yes just what I am looking for Jim, is this the dish you have with the same iLNB as I am looking for? Does it have the ordinary LNB as in the pictures I posted above or just uses the iLNB?
If so it may be worth seeing if @eddievanbitz can get them as a spare because as you found satelliteinternet.co.uk who seem to sell the kit are not good at responding to emails, haven't tried ringing them yet though.
Steve
oyster_internet_hdtv_small.jpg

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The older systems used two LNB's One was interactive for the (two way) and the other was passive, receive only for the TV

The current Oyster system uses a single interactive LNB

Spares are obviously available, but with a good warranty, price isn't mentioned and I would imagine that as Oyster buy the LNB in, that a "supply only" price would be astronomical though, even if you could find a company to supply one.

The hardware is made by Newtec, so I would suggest that this is the best way forward

http://www.newtec.eu/products/satellite-terminals

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The older systems used two LNB's One was interactive for the (two way) and the other was passive, receive only for the TV

Spares are obviously available, but with a good warranty, price isn't mentioned and I would imagine that as Oyster buy the LNB in, that a "supply only" price would be astronomical though, even if you could find a company to supply one.

The hardware is made by Newtec, so I would suggest that this is the best way forward

Thank you, a quick Google found this company selling the bits, it gives an indication of price but I have of course no experience of the supplier. But this one is Ka band - and they have no stock.
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970

Thanks for that Eddie, really appreciated. I didn't contact you directly because I don't think it fair to bother a business unless I am fairly sure they will get business and earn from it.
If you have a minute could you let me know the model number of that particular iLNB and modem for the Ku band please. Because the shape is important for the folding dish.
Then I can contact Newtec for a supplier in the UK hopefully.
Thanks again for your trouble.
Steve

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thank you, a quick Google found this company selling the bits, it gives an indication of price but I have of course no experience of the supplier. But this one is Ka band - and they have no stock.
Broken Link Removed

to techy for me the DIY approach, but how about this for less then £110

Broken Link Removed

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
to techy for me the DIY approach, but how about this for less then £110

Broken Link Removed
Thanks but that uses the Ka band which is ok for a static system and very fast, if you pay enough, but not the best for mobile use because the footprint doesn't cover the whole of Europe.
Steve

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Broken Link Removed
Thanks DBK,
I found that company the other day but their website would not load so I forgot about them, it loaded today so after your reminder I have emailed them to see if they do the Ku band kit.
Steve

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Broken Link Removed

That link offers a portable Newtec system. There is no "part" number for the iLNB as such as it is bought in from Newtec, and I would guess that we would simply order a iLNB for the Oyster Internet system should one fail.

We normally keep one in stock but ironically installed one yesterday for a young family off on their travels and needed it for home education and running their business whilst away.

The next system we install I will scrutinise the iLNB and see if there is a Newtec part number anywhere on it

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks for your time Eddie, glad you are busy, I have emailed Newtec so just waiting to see what they have to say. If they reply!
Steve

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Broken Link Removed

That link offers a portable Newtec system. There is no "part" number for the iLNB as such as it is bought in from Newtec, and I would guess that we would simply order a iLNB for the Oyster Internet system should one fail.

We normally keep one in stock but ironically installed one yesterday for a young family off on their travels and needed it for home education and running their business whilst away.

The next system we install I will scrutinise the iLNB and see if there is a Newtec part number anywhere on it

Think plenty of folks would like to have you retro fit internet system onto there existing oyster sat tv systems if you could swing it!(y)

Andy

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
SatelliteInternet just got back to me, they can provide all the equipment I want to set up the Camper and home with Satellite Broadband for just under £400 delivered to France, which includes two iLNB's and their £50 set-up fee. And just choose the package I want from £16 per month upwards. I just need to move the modem from home to camper when I go away and would get Internet throughout Europe all year round. And if I ditch my landline which costs me about €23 per month. I could get an unlimited voip package with a phone number for about £16 per month and basically free calls out and receive throughout Europe.
Sounds like this could be a very good move if it all works out ok.
Steve :D(y)

Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I think you must be on the Ka band which gives a higher speed but smaller footprints so not so good for the whole of Europe. I am not too interested in high speed, never had it, but would like the whole of Europe without fiddling so am looking at using the Ku band from Astra2 or Astra3.
Steve

Hello Steve. We are on the Ku band on Astra3 as per the attached link (if it works that is)
Broken Link Removed
The footprint shows as not covering much of Portugal and southern Spain but from what I've heard you can pick it up, hope so as we're heading south soon.

Things didn't go to plan today so didn't get the photo as discussed and i hadn't got a copy of the manual on my laptop, I do still have the hard copy so if you do want a look I'll scan it and send it. but from what I've read it looks like you may have got sorted. Well done for making contact with sat-internet, you must have been this weeks lucky customer pulled from the tumbler:clap:

Let me know if you do need anything.

Shawn.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
I think (as a non-techie) I am getting my head around the options available. Would be grateful for any input if i have missed / misunderstood anything.

Not having a sat system at the moment, my options seem to be.

a) Pay approx £3500 for an all singing all dancing Oyster system that would give me TV (Freeview part way into France at most) plus satellite internet based on whichever package I sign up to. Total cost approx £3500 + monthly subscription.

b) Find and have fitted a second hand sat dish (maybe £1000).
Purchase kit from Satellite Internet as mentioned above for about £3-400. Take iLNB and have it fitted to dish alongside the TV LNB. Total approx £1400 +monthly subscription.

c) Purchase kit from satellite internet for £3-400 and rig it up on tripod to be used outside MH. Total cost £400 + monthly subscription.

Thanks

Steve

Deleted User
@Old age travellers thanks for that information, can I ask that you keep us updated please. (If you decide to go ahead with your conversion)

I have an oyster II sat in my garage which I wasn't going to fit to the new van (due to the poor new TV footprint) but if I can convert it for circa £400 to a sat internet dish I'll probably go for it.

I'm thinking that one contract for broadband whilst home or away (we have unused sky dish bolted to the house) would mean we could cancel our current provider meaning just one bill.

In effect "free internet" whilst away (y)

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hello Steve. We are on the Ku band on Astra3 as per the attached link (if it works that is)
Broken Link Removed
The footprint shows as not covering much of Portugal and southern Spain but from what I've heard you can pick it up, hope so as we're heading south soon.

Things didn't go to plan today so didn't get the photo as discussed and i hadn't got a copy of the manual on my laptop, I do still have the hard copy so if you do want a look I'll scan it and send it. but from what I've read it looks like you may have got sorted. Well done for making contact with sat-internet, you must have been this weeks lucky customer pulled from the tumbler:clap:

Let me know if you do need anything.

Shawn.
Hi Shawn,
My mistake, I didn't realise the Ku band had zones so mistook it for the Ka band which has many zones just to cover Europe.
A picture would still be nice of the kit that Sat-Internet supplies and also the diameter of the iLNB boss if you can measure it because if it is different to the 40mm of the normal LNB I will have to make a new clamp or try and find one somewhere to fit my Teleco dish. Don't worry about scanning the manual.
It is a shame if S-I's customer service is so bad as they seem to have the best offer by far.
@Jim reported earlier in the thread that he was getting good internet in the Algarve on the Ku band, so hopefully the same for you.
Thanks for the help.
Steve

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I think (as a non-techie) I am getting my head around the options available. Would be grateful for any input if i have missed / misunderstood anything.

Not having a sat system at the moment, my options seem to be.

a) Pay approx £3500 for an all singing all dancing Oyster system that would give me TV (Freeview part way into France at most) plus satellite internet based on whichever package I sign up to. Total cost approx £3500 + monthly subscription.

b) Find and have fitted a second hand sat dish (maybe £1000).
Purchase kit from Satellite Internet as mentioned above for about £3-400. Take iLNB and have it fitted to dish alongside the TV LNB. Total approx £1400 +monthly subscription.

c) Purchase kit from satellite internet for £3-400 and rig it up on tripod to be used outside MH. Total cost £400 + monthly subscription.

Thanks

Steve
Good summing up Encantador,
Except for B & C the one off kit cost from S-I for delivery to mainland UK is £329 for a one month contract or £289 for 12 month I am adding an extra iLNB so as to have it at home as well which costs an extra £90.
And C would also include those the same as me who already have a fairly redundant automatic system on their van, as long as they can get the search criteria from the manufacturer to search and lock on to Astra 3 and are able to fit a new twin shotgun cable to the rotating dish mechanism. Which is my project for today. If you can't fit a twin cable then you can't use an interactive LNB for two way communication with the satellite.
@mickyc the last part is important for you to check, search criteria and twin cable. Sky dish if it is the squashed type won't work, but the kit from S-I comes with a dish and special cable. to replace your existing one so total cost as for me £379 with a 12 month contract.
Steve

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back