Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
Hi David,

Interesting & inspiring reading which has negated, almost completely, most of the apprehensions I had over going to remote(ish) places in th UK an 8m + MH.
Thanks and safe home.

Spud

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello all, yesterday was truly a grey day, it started with an email from my accountant, telling me I owed more than I even thought I earnt last year in tax, and to be paid by 31st January, that is the reason I decided to head home and sort things out

Then the day itself was just about as grey as the weather has been, none of the blue skies, no more snow, just miserable matching my own emotions

So planned my return route, had an early night ready for an early start today

That was a lucky thing for the 2 blokes who decided to clear the road in front of my MH at 7:45 this morning, had I been asleep and in the mood I had gone to bed in they might have wished they hadn't started quite so early or so close to me

But is was a new day and I felt 200% better already and the sun was just coming up

Just water to sort out before leaving, the loo had held on till this morning before beeping again, very obliging, so poured a half kettle of water over the service tap on my pitch, bingo, despite still being -5 it came to life. Pulled my hose reel from the garage, unrolled, connected, nothing, rechecked tap, all OK there, now I had not expected my hose reel to freeze inside the garage, no wonder the toilet flush had frozen. No problem I carry a watering can just for this, so put 4 cans full in, more than enough for 2 more nights on way home

Then round to dump contents of tanks, now had the 2 snow clearers used their time better they might have uncovered the drain, but no they decided to scrape the road right outside 2 of only 4 residents at 7:45, but today was still looking up and I didn't want a row, so out with the bucket I carry just for these times.

Toilet first, so I can at least swill the bucket with grey water when finished, I now know the toilet holds about 4 buckets full when it beeps, I did 5 buckets but not too close to the top to avoid slopping :LOL:, then moved to the grey, now some of you may recall my proud moment a few months ago, 'mending' my valve, technically I fitted another further down the line when my sliding valve failed. I have the luxury of heated grey water (at least I think I do) there is a coil symbol on my controller when it goes cold, I think that is what is happening, I dread to think how many Amps that takes and I appear to have no off option. Anyway, my replacement valve would appear to be too far down the line to benefit from the heating, and is frozen solid, luckily the tank is only 25% full, so no worry there either

So we leave Grantown for the second and last time this trip, I am sure we will be back

Today is going to be OK (y):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
From Grantown I had planned to head to Lossiemouth, for no reason at all, it sounds nice, quite Scottish maybe, I saw a post last month where someone was parked there and I thought I would take a look

The drive down was nice, following the river Spey to Elgin, Lossiemouth appears to be really nice, as you drive down the road from Elgin there is a church on the hill top that looks nearly continental, sorry I didn't get a photo, in fairness we didn't really look right round, but say sand dunes off to the east that looked good

Then I followed my nose and found a car park by Moray Golf Course on the sea front, no obvious signage restricting over nighting and somewhere I would feel quite happy to stop over at, but not for us today, but we took some photos (have you noticed Lola is now helping!!)

IMG_0313.JPG
IMG_0309.JPG
IMG_0321.JPG

Then off for lunch and a funster meet up, thanks @camocam1, nice to meet you, great lunch and no washing up (y)(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
"and then....."

I went skating on the loch! Hopefully not or you will never finish this great trip report.

I was too quick! Good for you, never seen one in the flesh. There are many other birds worth searching out up there, Cross Bills, snow buntings, sea eagles. I must go back to Scotland.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
So now decide to head a little further south, I was going to overnight here, but it is really cold still and forecast to be the coldest spot in the country tonight, so get ready to leave and get this

IMG_0337.JPG

So am now parked up on the A9 southbound some where in the middle of nowhere, goodness only knows where the internet access has come from, reflecting on my 2 weeks away and realising life is pretty good

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Oh, and most of you know I have a broken fridge door, it also has a light that works far less often than it doesn't, parked up tonight at a real jaunty angle on the edge of the snow, you would definitely have to use ramps to stay and sleep comfortably and the bloody light works!!

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Yippee for the timely arrival of the tit. A beautiful little bird.

As usual beautiful photos. Thanks.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Really glad you managed to get to see the elusive crested tit
It was good to meet up with you and Lola who I have to say is a really lovely dog and many thanks for taking the time out to pop in past for lunch for which you were most welcome.
Hopefully see you again some time with Bev at a rally somewhere
And for those of you who have just been thinking about heading North of the Border come on get up here you will all be made very welcome !!!

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Great trip with smashing photos, I'm going to really miss this thread when you get home.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Good morning, wherever I am there is still a lot of snow, I am definitely south of Dalwhinnie and still north of Blair Atholl, I suspect more or less opposite where I parked on my way up, so pretty close to the Drumochter pass, hence the snow I guess

The lay by has been ploughed through, but nowhere near to full width, we have had a bit of grid lock with lorries overnight and this morning, but it is al sorting itself out now

I left my heating on last night, gas obviously, Lola is a very perceptive dog, bordering on a nuisance at a times, she really does not like beeps and alarms, like yesterday when I caught the test on our CO monitor when I stored it away for travelling, she managed to squeeze herself in front of my drivers seat and up against the pedals, I thought I was going to have to open the cab door to let her out that way, but she did reverse into the passenger area and came out when I stopped the alarm

I digress (nothing new) last night I was aware of a Lola type noise but not a normal one, a whimper, now last night bless her she really struggled to find somewhere for a wee, with the ploughing the lay by has 18" sides, she did jump on top and immediately sank, so leapt off again quickly, I know she did have a wee but possibly she may now be asking to go out for another

So I get up and notice flashing lights, a blue white light that I had not seen before, not blue enough to be the police, but it turned out we have run out of gas and the Alde controller is flashing to tell me and cause concern to my dog. It is 5:10 and a few things stop me changing the gas (we don't have auto changeover, or any internal switching) but at least I know we have a full bottle, stopping me is that fact that it is still very dark, very cold and more importantly the gas locker is on our nearside and neatly parked up against the snow wall, so turn off heating, taking note that it was 17C at 5:10, the set temp was 18C so it hadn't been off for long

Back to bed and lay there thinking all sorts, sorting out all my problems (I wish) telling myself I will never get back to sleep now, then the alarm goes off at 07:00. Amazingly some of the lorries are still parked up very asleep, while others wait for the double parked ones to wake up and move. But at last I can now pull forwards and get to the locker and therefore more importantly have cup of coffee no. 1

I am also pleased with the insulation of the MH, despite being -5 outside the internal temp only went down to 14C in 2 hours, but still very glad heating is back on, although I am running the engine this morning, far more effective (probably not efficient) and I have got my inverter plugged in again!!! being more careful now though

First photo was my last taken last night as I rejoined the A9, then the lay by this morning, a few of you already know Lola, but those that don't her she is not a small dog, that snow wall is half way between my knee and waist and it is flat snow not just piled up by the plough, it must be quite a game keeping the A9 open

IMG_0350.JPG
IMG_0356.JPG

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Once again David thank you for your posts bringing the journey to life for us, so pleased you got to see the a Crested Tit, no more than you deserved. Keep it coming. :Smile:

Deleted User
This has been a fantastic posting and enjoyed reading every bit of it. You are in my favourite part of the country and am extremely jealous but I will be up that way in March so not too long to wait.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hi David,

I too have enjoyed reading your 'blog'........

Regarding the gas running out ........................ Shall I say I feel a little smug here? I have an auto changeover on my system and all the soothsayers out there have said 'waste of time and money' blah blah blah.................. and my reply has always been that one day it will run out at the most inconvenient time........ then it's worth every penny :p

I feel vindicated :D (but not at your expense :oops:)

Drive safe and well done finding the Crested Tit

(y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David,

I too have enjoyed reading your 'blog'........

Regarding the gas running out ........................ Shall I say I feel a little smug here? I have an auto changeover on my system and all the soothsayers out there have said 'waste of time and money' blah blah blah.................. and my reply has always been that one day it will run out at the most inconvenient time........ then it's worth every penny :p

I feel vindicated :D (but not at your expense :oops:)

Drive safe and well done finding the Crested Tit

(y)

But do you know your auto change has happened, otherwise when your heating goes of at 5:00 it stays off until you can find some more gas? At least I am reasonably confident I have that unused cylinder waiting to be connected, but watch this space!! :D:D

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Found Lola her bit of grass not covered in snow, stopped at Kinross Services, M90 J6, quite possibly the worst signed of any services I have ever stopped at, (south bound at least) but a great safe dog walking area beside and beyond where lorries and motorhomes are directed to park (actually they direct caravans here not MH's) but I hope they meant me as well, get ready for the parking ticket!!

One more night, then home to a bigger bed, log burner, loads of room, water on tap and of course my beloved Bev, I have missed her, it is nicer to do things together, but I am not sure she would have coped with the windy nights at all well

Looking forward to the next one already, just need to work out where and when

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Thanks David for all your posts and pictures of your trip. Really enjoyed following your trip. (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You must be half Scottish, giving directions by distilleries.

Like so many others I've really enjoyed reading about your trip.

Have a safe trip home,
Brendan

Hello and thanks Brendan

I don't like whisky, a long story for another day, but yesterday driving from Grantown down to Elgin I was staggered both by the number of distilleries, but as much by the fact that I hadn't even heard of the whisky by name

I think I saw a sign with a whisky tour reference so presume there are a few up there

I have enjoyed sharing the trip and have been really pleased that a good few of you enjoyed as well

See you soon again somewhere hopefully

Chester is our first rally of the year

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back