Windows Explorer closing (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Recently I've had Windows Explorer closing unexpectedly, it reopens fine but it's a worry..

Recently the hard drive replaced by Sony and full factory reinstall done.

Running Vista Business with AVG anti virus

I've ran Malwarebytes with nothing found

Ran PC Tools Registry Mechanic

Defraged

I've consulted windows and Sony's knowledge base and tried a few things from there but it still happens, not frequently but it can be really annoying ..

Any other hints or tips to try or software that could fix it ?

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, What version are you running, and i assume you mean windows internet explorer, not windows file manager which is sometimes called windows explorer, have you checked for updates as i think there is a beta edition which may help, other than that i had a similar problem and switched to firefox and even though i have always been a Microsoft supporter i must admit firefox does seem to be reliable

Link Removed

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I hate IE jim, it always seems to be crashing, have you tried Firefox? I find it rock solid with some great add-ons

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Jim

Is there anything specific that you are doing when it decides to close, as i have only just recently changed over to Vista and the explorer in it is a lot less stable in my opinion than explorer was in XP,

I has closed down on me a number of times which i have put down to me rather than explorer itself but thinking about it now you have raised the question i think perhaps my version also has that trate,

I don't think its a virus or spy-ware problem as i run scans regular with Avast and S&D and while S&D picks up some cookie problems from time to time i clear them regular so i don't think its anything other than perhaps a Microsoft problem that hasn't been notified as not many people use the explorer.

Hope that make sense

Braunston

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi, Jim

Is there anything specific that you are doing when it decides to close, as i have only just recently changed over to Vista and the explorer in it is a lot less stable in my opinion than explorer was in XP,

I has closed down on me a number of times which i have put down to me rather than explorer itself but thinking about it now you have raised the question i think perhaps my version also has that trate,

I don't think its a virus or spy-ware problem as i run scans regular with Avast and S&D and while S&D picks up some cookie problems from time to time i clear them regular so i don't think its anything other than perhaps a Microsoft problem that hasn't been notified as not many people use the explorer.

Hope that make sense

Braunston

Hi
I would agree that it's more likely a Microsoft bug than anything else.. I'm not doing anything in particular when it decides to close.. you get the usual alert box, to either restart or close and report to Microsoft, which I've done, but so far no solution is forthcoming ..

I don't understand why you say not many people use the Explorer.. it's the only program for navigating the computer .. unless they keep everything on the desk top ... or at we at cross purposes ?

Jim

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi Jim

It might have something to do with AVG anti virus. When I loaded it with vista I found all sorts of problems. I use avast free - sits much better

stew

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim

It might have something to do with AVG anti virus. When I loaded it with vista I found all sorts of problems. I use avast free - sits much better

stew

Hi Stew

thanks for suggestion but Jan's Dell lappy is running Vista and AVG with no issues.. so that doesn't look likely .. strange isn't it .. :RollEyes:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Jim

Most people i know use the desktop icons for starting their programs or use the "Start" "All Programs" to start them, and then use the options within the opened programs to access their files, if they have ipods etc they normally use the apple software for transferring files to and from, the only time i use it myself is to copy and paste files to and from memory chips etc and if those files are music files i normally use microsoft's media centre, why/how do you use it ?

Braunston

are you running S&D as sometimes I get an error/conflict with "teatimer" which needs a restart.

Hi
I would agree that it's more likely a Microsoft bug than anything else.. I'm not doing anything in particular when it decides to close.. you get the usual alert box, to either restart or close and report to Microsoft, which I've done, but so far no solution is forthcoming ..

I don't understand why you say not many people use the Explorer.. it's the only program for navigating the computer .. unless they keep everything on the desk top ... or at we at cross purposes ?

Jim

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back