Western Isles plan to levy tax on motorhome visitors (1 Viewer)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Sounds reasonable to me. Many motorhomers etc stock up at supermarkets on the mainland and wildcamp as much as possible. Their contributions to the local economies are likely to be relatively low and some of that will be taken up by the greater impact on local facilities.

It is perhaps not unreasonable for those who have an impact to contribute in return.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Watching this with interest as the Scottish Government are trying for legislation for the whole country.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
If it is just a tax then not good. If it does allow funding of extra amenities (as opposed to simply funding something already there), if at a sensible level then OK.

Authorities do need to balance the effect of any taxation and whether that would then deter the tourism that many in the area should be reliant on. We all know some arrive in an area an abuse it, without putting much into the local coffers, but others will in their travels support the local economies and that has to be encouraged.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thats what we pay taxes for already
Do the taxes you pay go towards the maintenance and repair of facilities and infrastructure in the Western Isles?

How much of the council tax you pay supports the services in the Islands that are being visited by hundreds or thousands of tourists each summer?

A small contribution to the costs might put a few folk off but it seems that they won't miss a few visitors but will appreciate the £.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Do the taxes you pay go towards the maintenance and repair of facilities and infrastructure in the Western Isles?

How much of the council tax you pay supports the services in the Islands that are being visited by hundreds or thousands of tourists each summer?

A small contribution to the costs might put a few folk off but it seems that they won't miss a few visitors but will appreciate the £.
Very likely to be the same percentage as is spent per capita everywhere else.
We don’t have this money grabbing by our Yorkshire Dales Authority. What makes the islanders so special?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I think this has been in the air for a long time (a year or two?). In fact I'm surprised they are only just getting round to consulting.

Provided it is a modest amount, it doesn't sound totally unreasonable. :unsure:

------------------------------------------------------------

Edit - Here we go - I knew I'd seen it somewhere. ;) 2017 !!

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
It’s an interesting question .., if it were extended beyond the Western Isles would I (a Scot) be taxed for visiting my holiday home? Would someone from one part of Scotland be taxed for visiting another part of Scotland? Once you add it in to all the anti-camping and anti-MHing tweets/fb posts it all adds up to a feeling of ‘let’s go elsewhere’. Hence we’re heading to France 🇫🇷 in October rather than the far north.

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No

Fuel duty vehicle excise duty levied across uk so yes we do already pay for the upkeep of highways so no why should we pay twice.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
It’s an interesting question .., if it were extended beyond the Western Isles would I (a Scot) be taxed for visiting my holiday home? Would someone from one part of Scotland be taxed for visiting another part of Scotland? Once you add it in to all the anti-camping and anti-MHing tweets/fb posts it all adds up to a feeling of ‘let’s go elsewhere’. Hence we’re heading to France 🇫🇷 in October rather than the far north.
my thoughts exactly , I'm a resident up here and already pay what I deem as extortionately high council tax for a relatively small house .
Why should I pay to visit another part of Scotland considering I've contributed for over 40 years up here .

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Taxes are rising on everything, with people arriving daily they all need houses, food and education and you have to pay for it.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Fuel duty vehicle excise duty levied across uk so yes we do already pay for the upkeep of highways so no why should we pay twice.
The contribution isn't just for roads and I guess that the allocation for the islands' roads didn't take into account the large number of extra vehicles hitting the roads each summer, especially over the last few years.

Reactions: hja
Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
Then they need to be more creative with the begging bowl to central government

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Then they need to be more creative with the begging bowl to central government
How would you phrase the question? Please CG, can we have some more money to provide more facilities and deal with the consequences of having lots of relatively well off motorhomers, visit us? The whole country can subsidise them....

Shouldn't those who use more pay more?

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Sounds reasonable to me. Many motorhomers etc stock up at supermarkets on the mainland and wildcamp as much as possible. Their contributions to the local economies are likely to be relatively low and some of that will be taken up by the greater impact on local facilities.

It is perhaps not unreasonable for those who have an impact to contribute in return.
That could be a bit of a generalisation, I am currently travelling around the Outer Hebrides and the camp sites are full each night with only a very small number of vans wild camping. You could argue that it is a problem for Mull where Tesco’s in Oban gets a hit before Motorhomers travel onto the island, but that is because there are no decent food shops on Mull to obtain a full basket, apart from the Co-Op at Tobermory and the Co-Ops credentials are suspect.
Personally we make a effort to call into the community shops and local producers, especially the sea food sellers and support the locals.

VandM

Free Member
Sep 15, 2021
Rousay, Orkney, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Vanners since 2010
Very likely to be the same percentage as is spent per capita everywhere else.
We don’t have this money grabbing by our Yorkshire Dales Authority. What makes the islanders so special?
We seriously need to look at the distribution of our taxes. Councils are only looking at this kind of measure because the budgets they may have enjoyed in the past have been utterly depleted.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We seriously need to look at the distribution of our taxes. Councils are only looking at this kind of measure because the budgets they may have enjoyed in the past have been utterly depleted.
I would hazard a guess that the U.K. tax take is disproportionately spent down south. I cannot in any way prove this but the likes of cross rail and HS2 seem to point in that direction.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
That could be a bit of a generalisation, I am currently travelling around the Outer Hebrides and the camp sites are full each night with only a very small number of vans wild camping. You could argue that it is a problem for Mull where Tesco’s in Oban gets a hit before Motorhomers travel onto the island, but that is because there are no decent food shops on Mull to obtain a full basket, apart from the Co-Op at Tobermory and the Co-Ops credentials are suspect.
Personally we make a effort to call into the community shops and local producers, especially the sea food sellers and support the locals.
It is a generalisation. But possibly applicable to many. We haven't been to the Outer Hebredes but saw similar things on Mull and Skye.

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Where does this end. A 'you need to pay to be here' tourist tax in every County of the UK depending on where your vehicle is registered. What if you are just passing through? Need a bit more detail on how it would operate but it looks to me like another revenue stream which perhaps will result in the opposite of what it is designed to achieve. We already have the parking Stazi now progressing to tourist Stazi; show me your papers!

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If they need the money to provide better facilities , how about providing the facilities and charging for them , finance is about as cheap as its going to be to be . Otherwise they are going to be in a position where they are charging for something they are saving up to provide , chicken -egg ?

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
It is a generalisation. But possibly applicable to many. We haven't been to the Outer Hebredes but saw similar things on Mull and Skye.
We were on Harris, Lewis earlier this year. Other than Stornaway there wasn’t really anywhere to buy food etc. This isn’t either a fault of the tourist or a fault of the locals. If there is nothing to buy tourists cannot spend. We tried in vain to find restaurants to eat in on Harris. We did find one at Uig Sands on Lewis (very nice) but I did spend well over £300 in the Harris Tweed shop.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back