Very disappointed with Comfort (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I've been with Comfort Insurance for 9 years without a claim and just rec'd a renewal invitation which is a £60 increase on the expiring year's premium (in spite of covering only 600 miles in the past year).
Looking back I noticed that in the past 3 years their premiums have increased by more than £100 (£268 to £384).
I was just about to renew when I had second thoughts and since I don't faff about grovelling with insurers I had no intention of spending time calling them (pressing buttons, hanging on for ages in a queue, listening to their recorded disclaimer messages etc.) to query their renewal quote. Just out of casual interest I went on the CAMC website and have renewed with them for £230, saving £150 vs the Comfort renewal premium.
Same motorhome, exactly the same cover (foreign travel, windscreen, personal belongings, legal protection etc.) and no changes whatsoever to my personal details.

First time in 15 years of membership that I've used any of the CAMC products or services except for an occasional night or two on a CL and I've just saved 2 years CAMC membership subscriptions.

Last edited:

Deleted User
Did you consider breakdown? I've found the big clubs don't include this as it's with another company and can work out more in total.

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Did you consider breakdown? I've found the big clubs don't include this as it's with another company and can work out more in total.
I've never needed breakdown cover with any policy as I have cover under my Nationwide FlexPlus account for my m/h, two cars and four motorbikes for a total cost of £13.50 a month which covers them all, home and abroad ........and many more benefits than just breakdown cover.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
The FCA is onto "price walking" from the start of next year.
https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-r...-loyalty-penalty-home-motor-insurance-markets
In an article in the Financial Times recently it was suggested that some insurers might increase renewal premiums more than before in readiness for the changes. I am not suggesting that this is what Comfort have done.
The article also suggested that premiums should have become lower in any event because of restrictions on claims for whiplash.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Same experience we had with camc. We saved over £200 because of the size/weight of the van, we had ro take separate breakdown cover, rac came out best and also included free c&c membership, taking that onto account we still saved about £100 and also got the membership included.

Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
In my opinion
Comfort are so slow and don’t answer email
I will not be renewing my policy when it’s due period !!

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Hmm. Interesting post and crazy how different people's perceptions and treatment appear to be. I renewed with Comfort this year (second year of policy) despite a 30% price increase which, on enquiry, was attributed to the fact that I put a bicycle pedal through the rear screen of a car visiting my next door neighbour (after 1500 trouble free miles around Europe). I was expecting an increase even though I had heard nothing about the claim which was, as the policy requires, reported to Aviva who underwrite Comfort.

Whenever I call anyone where I am expecting the old multi-button screening process and musical interludes, I make a note of the time that the first connection is made, then the time of first actual person I talk to and then the time the call concludes. I called Comfort at 09:45 and was speaking to a real person by 09:47 who happily logged in to the insurance database to give me full details of the (frankly fraudulent) claim made by the neighbour's visitor (£2184 - which I will be contacting Aviva about). The call ended by 09:55 - hardly the slow and unhelpful service that others appear to have had).

Because they were so polite and helpful and because I was expecting an increase anyway, I decided to renew rather than go through the hassle of getting further quotes, explaining the "accident" (the bicycle was on a rear mounted rack by the way, I wasn't doing stunts in the road) and starting afresh with another insurer. Next year however, having been told that the increases related to the claim will reduce over time and should be cone by year 3 (even though the claim remains on file for 5 years) I may think differently.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Comfort wouldn't insure me because I keep the van in the same yard as my lorries even though I don't have an office in the yard they classed it as my place of work and they won't insure vans stored at the work place

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
mh and toad been insured with camc for last 5 years goes up slightly each year, just renewed mh £235. Comfort quoted £550 for mh because its on a Ford, and then could not be bothered to quote for toad. Blows the 50 quid membership out of the water. Also use their mayday breakdown, to cover 4 vehicles and 2 trailers. Uk only suits us with no size or weight restriction.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I've been with Comfort Insurance for 9 years without a claim and just rec'd a renewal invitation which is a £60 increase on the expiring year's premium (in spite of covering only 600 miles in the past year).
Looking back I noticed that in the past 3 years their premiums have increased by more than £100 (£268 to £384).
I was just about to renew when I had second thoughts and since I don't faff about grovelling with insurers I had no intention of spending time calling them (pressing buttons, hanging on for ages in a queue, listening to their recorded disclaimer messages etc.) to query their renewal quote. Just out of casual interest I went on the CAMC website and have renewed with them for £230, saving £150 vs the Comfort renewal premium.
Same motorhome, exactly the same cover (foreign travel, windscreen, personal belongings, legal protection etc.) and no changes whatsoever to my personal details.

First time in 15 years of membership that I've used any of the CAMC products or services except for an occasional night or two on a CL and I've just saved 2 years CAMC membership subscriptions.
Well, it looks like you're subsidising all these other bug..., Funsters! :whistle2:

Mine actually went down this year with Comfort only £20 mind but ok with me..

My premium with Comfort also reduced this year, just renewed this week. (y)

My comfort renewal went down £40 this year , i changed MoHo’s mid policy, new van cost 20k more but smaller in size , I’m happy

My premium with Comfort went down this time as well so I am quite happy 👍

I did the reverse a couple of years back and moved from C&MC to Comfort and have found them (both) to be efficient with quote \ premium process. As for claims, don't know as :)pray:) never had to make one.

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Well, it looks like you're subsidising all these other bug..., Funsters! :whistle2:
I wouldn't normally bother to change insurers for say a ten or twenty quid rise in the renewal premium but I've saved a mighty £150 after making a 10 minute effort to change from Comfort to CAMC. However, maybe the CAMC (they use Devitt brokers) are still giving the traditional and expected 'new business' discount and they haven't yet discontinued it and started to load their renewals to pre-empt the new FCA ruling that precludes them from offering better rates to new customers than they offer to existing customers upon renewal.

Like most folk I'm accustomed to the faff of having to shop around and get a better rate for all my insurances at renewal time so I'll be interested to see the CAMC renewal quote in a year's time and the renewal quotes for my other insurances. I'm not holding my breath and I anticipate having to shop around again.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Like most folk I'm accustomed to the faff of having to shop around and get a better rate for all my insurances at renewal time so I'll be interested to see the CAMC renewal quote in a year's time and the renewal quotes for my other insurances. I'm not holding my breath and I anticipate having to shop around again.
They used to be just like all the rest. That's the reason I changed from C&MC, the renewal premium plus significant increase in storage rates.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know I keep on about this, but for the last three years my nfu insurance has actually gone down , not by much but different than going up. It's now £285.
Down from £300.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back