LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
About to have an alarm and CCTV installed, the alarm/trigger will be sent to mobile phones via wifi, I was therefore thinking that a power failure would cause the wifi to fail and therefore the cctv and alarm would be useless..

As a matter of interest and your expert opinion what size USP would be suitable to keep a BT router going? Im assuming that the CCTV and alarm may have battery backup/

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
The alarm should have a battery backup so you need only to provide power for the NVR and Router, something simple like an APC BE325 would do, but unless you router and NVR are close to each other you’ll either need a long cable run or 2 units.

Smaller used units are normally easy to find on ebay as people buy them and then decide they want to connect more items connected. Also check the battery size as smaller units won’t work for too long off mains.

Unless you suffer lots of power cuts I’d think you don’t need to worry.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
About to have an alarm and CCTV installed, the alarm/trigger will be sent to mobile phones via wifi, I was therefore thinking that a power failure would cause the wifi to fail and therefore the cctv and alarm would be useless..

As a matter of interest and your expert opinion what size USP would be suitable to keep a BT router going? Im assuming that the CCTV and alarm may have battery backup/
I use APC UPS, they provide a range of solutions, I have one of these it supports a small NAS, Router, hugh bridge, NVR. There is an option to connect an alarm cable between the UPS and in my case the NAS which gives an alarm and power status of the batteries when there is a power failure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The alarm should have a battery backup so you need only to provide power for the NVR and Router, something simple like an APC BE325 would do, but unless you router and NVR are close to each other you’ll either need a long cable run or 2 units.

Smaller used units are normally easy to find on ebay as people buy them and then decide they want to connect more items connected. Also check the battery size as smaller units won’t work for too long off mains.

Unless you suffer lots of power cuts I’d think you don’t need to worry.

Lol looks like we both like the APC solutions(y):cool:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Funny, never even considered this problem before.

Now I'm going to have to go worry about something else............................:banghead:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Funny, never even considered this problem before.

Now I'm going to have to go worry about something else............................:banghead:
Only purchased mine to protect the NAS hard drives, a sudden power fail can cause the disc's to be damaged, when you think a 6TB drive costs around £150 and I have 4 of them in my NAS the 'power chute' feature means that the NAS will do a soft shut down in case of a power fail and protect £600 of disc's

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back