Upgrade iMac Fusion Drive to SSD (1 Viewer)

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
Finally swapped out our (slow) Fusion drive today in our 5 year old iMac for an Samsung 870 1TB SSD.

Thought I’d let anyone thinking of doing this the gotcha I came across. Followed various guides on uTube to remove the screen etc., the problem I had was our Mac is using Big Sur. None of the cloning tools I used worked to begin with. What did eventually work was SuperDuper! beta version 3.5. With the move to Big Sur Apple have changed how you can clone a disk!

Boot up is blisteringly fast now, as is visiting web pages and opening files, well worth the effort if you Mac is getting slow and doesn’t have an SSD inside.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I'm running my iMac (2013 vintage) from a Samsung 1TB SSD externally, connected via a USB port. I needed to do something as the internal hard drive was becoming flaky and I didn't fancy taking the machine to bits. You're right, the increase in speed is amazing! I haven't "upgraded" to Big Sur yet.

There's an advantage to having the drive removable: when going away I can put the drive in the safe, so all data is secure. A burglar is welcome to the 8-year old hardware :LOL:

OP
OP
I2C

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
Cavs you can create (in effect) an encrypted folder/volume (did this years ago so forgotten how I created them) and store personal files in them, it'll be protected by a password. I wouldn't encrypt the whole disk, makes running certain applications very slow, e.g. digital media.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Cavs you can create (in effect) an encrypted folder/volume (did this years ago so forgotten how I created them) and store personal files in them, it'll be protected by a password. I wouldn't encrypt the whole disk, makes running certain applications very slow, e.g. digital media.
You’re right, but I was just mentioning an incidental benefit of something I had already done. The external photos and back up discs also go in the safe - very handy.

Reactions: I2C

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back