Truma LevelControl - Initial Impressions / Review (1 Viewer)

Apr 16, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718EB
Exp
8 years
Here is my initial impressions and review of the new Truma LevelControl devices for reporting the level of gas in your bottles.

Configuratiom

Truma iNet System, 2 x 6kg Gaslow refillable LPG cylinders, 2 x Tuma LevelControl devices, Truma iOS iPhone App

I recently replaced my gas setup of 2 x standard replaceable butane bottles (Calor type) to 2 x GasLow LPG Refillable bottles after finding it impossible to get replacements while in France. We got quite low at one point. I had seen the Truma LevelControl devices and felt they were a worthy investment.

https://www.truma.com/int/en/products/truma-caravan-rv-gas-fittings/truma-levelcontrol.html

Out of the Box

Packaging is excellent and the required 2 x AAA batteries were supplied in the box. The instructions are clear and simple and the devices feel solid but are quite light. With the magnetic mounting method this lightness is a benefit but they look and feel a quality product.

Power Up and Setup

The fitting of the batteries is easy and not too fiddly. The battery compartment is accessible once the cover screw is removed. Once done, you open up the App on your phone and press the button on the LevelControl device. It's very simple to get the devices connected to the App by navigating to the recognised Devices and selecting it. Once done you can choose your gas bottle type from the standard although limited list and name it to what you want. I used "Front Cyl" and "Rear Cyl" respectively. I chose to pick a bespoke 6kg bottle of no particular make. No reason other than there was no 'GasLow' to select from the list. No issue.

Attaching to the Bottle

I positioned each device under the respective cylinders (as per the instructions) which magnetically attached with a strong pull. They are very well designed to fit the curvature of the bottle underside. The width of the devices was excellent with no overlap or protrusion beyond the width of the bottle or the underside floor line. Meaning they don't touch the floor. There are metal bottle labels (again magnetic) that you stick on the side of the bottles to remind you (or a service engineer) the LevelControl devices are in place. Very useful too if you use replaceable bottles rather than refillable!

If you have aluminium bottles, there are some clips to attach the devices to this bottle type. Also there are some risers for use with some certain other bottle types (probably alu and non-uk types) to stop the devices standing proud.

App Status

Once the devices are attached to the bottles the App shows both devices in the Status screen. Very clear and as you use some gas, it shows the level drops accordingly. I believe the app will send you a message when the bottles get to a low level. But of course you can see the level whenever you refer to the Status screen.

The level representation is clear and it seems to try and predict how many days/hours of gas you have left. I'm not sure yet how accurate that is yet though.

When you go into the Status screen, sometimes the level reading is not showing - only the scale bar is there. But if you go back in again it comes up every time. I think thats just a bluetooth thing and going into the Status screen before it's had time to read the device.

Battery Utilsation

I've had the devices for a couple of months. I think the batteries will last about 12 months in total with good quality batteries. The ones that come in the box are not necessarily high quality but are non leak and certainly good enough to get you going. I'm still using the originals and they are lasting ok.

Resillience

I had a look at the devices after a while after installation and some really wet weather driving. They seem fine and are still working well. My bottles stand in the gas cupboard with a 'mesh' type floor and are therefore open to the elements. Therefore, so are the LevelControl devices.

Conclusion

I think these devices are well made, resilient and accurate. They are a great addition to your piece of mind and work well with the Truma iNet system and the Truma App. Recommended.

Attachments

• IMG_3711.jpg
    IMG_3711.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_3712.jpg
    IMG_3712.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 146

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Saw these at the October NEC Show & looked a neat accessory but very expensive at the moment especially if you don't have the right kind of Truma controller. Understand that the price may decrease once it is no longer a new "launch" product. This Dometic GC100 pen is a cheaper option (£30 or less) for checking gas bottle levels https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/pr...s-detectors/dometic-gaschecker-gc-100-_-30582 which might be worth considering too.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I have a small IR thermometer, infra red. If you are using gas then there is a temp difference at the level of the liquid lpg. Its easy to find this using the ir thermometer. If using gas heating very easy, if just the fridge running then harder. From about a fiver on ebay. No good for checking a cylinder that is not in use as whole cylinder is at same temp.
Also handy for checking tyre temps.....
And if her wine is correct temp....
Ps this is on plastic cylinders but guess it will work on steel too.
Pps, its manual, you have to go out in the cold!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Saw these at the October NEC Show & looked a neat accessory but very expensive at the moment especially if you don't have the right kind of Truma controller. Understand that the price may decrease once it is no longer a new "launch" product. This Dometic GC100 pen is a cheaper option (£30 or less) for checking gas bottle levels https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/pr...s-detectors/dometic-gaschecker-gc-100-_-30582 which might be worth considering too.
Just to add for info. - £135 at NEC Show or "deal" at £450 with controller!

OP
OP
W
Apr 16, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718EB
Exp
8 years
Wow Gerry. Good spot. I never saw that in the paper instructions. I'll take another look. Also I didn't see that in the online sections either.

I've contacted Truma to confirm this is in fact the case and why they won't work with refillables. I'll let you know what they say.

Thx for pointing it out.

OP
OP
W
Apr 16, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718EB
Exp
8 years
Email from Truma....

Thank you for your email, I have checked with the engineers and if your refillable bottle has a float in it (Gaslow use two types of bottle, one with a float one without) then the Level control would not operate correctly as the float would interrupt the Ultrasound reading that it takes.

...looks like I need to find out which cylinders I have. With or without a float.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I remember a guy at a show saying his ultrasonic sensor with not work with Gaslow, they get a "ping" off the float inside.

"Not suitable for plastic gas cylinders, refillable gas cylinders, gas tanks or butane cylinders (Campingaz)"

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Just in case of interest to anyone - recent mailshot from Truma:
trans.gif

trans.gif

trans.gif

trans.gif
Winter Newsletter 2017
trans.gif

trans.gif

md_1016009.jpg

Merry Christmas from Truma Limited
trans.gif

Truma can now help you to answer a question that may sound familiar on your travels: How much gas is left in your gas bottle? The Truma LevelControl displays the level of your bottle via the Truma app and is the latest addition to the Truma iNet system. Also in this newsletter: Special launch price for LevelControl set extended, watch how we battled sub-zero conditions with Bailey on their Arctic Adventure and a new heat alarm feature on the Truma App. We hope you are planning your New Year Winter adventure over a cup of hot chocolate!
Enjoy your read :)

Your Truma Limited Team

trans.gif

Making life easier
LevelControl Set Introductory offer extended

trans.gif

trans.gif

The LevelControl measures by ultrasound how much gas is in your gas bottle and transmits the data to the iNet Box, which sends it to the Truma app. So you can check your gas level from wherever you are - on a winters walk or whilst in the pub next to a roaring fire! A "must have" for every caravanner or motorhomer! As part of our launch we are offering the iNet system and LevelControl for £275 valid until 30.04.2018. Purchase from your local dealer.

Video for info. :

trans.gif

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Sooner have a refillable bottle rather than a level sensor and calor. As you can refill if partly empty no need for an accurate gague.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
At nearly £300 for an item of doubtful usefulness I couldn't describe it as a must-have as Truma do. I have two 11kg Alugas with the usual inaccurate gauges, and if one becomes empty I just fill up at the next opportunity. I don't need to know exactly how much gas I have.

OP
OP
W
Apr 16, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718EB
Exp
8 years
The LevelControl itself is £129. I don't know why Truma are marketing the solution to those that do not already have an iNet device. It's mad to think you would spend £300 on iNet + LevelControl. I only think it's got any traction in the market if you already have the iNet box.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
From the title I was expecting leveling jacks similar to E&P.:xgrin:

The iNet product seems to be a bit of a joke at £25 might be interesting but not at £300. It was first marketed to go with the Combi heater, whats the point, the Combi has a timer on it if you want a warm van when you get back from a walk just set the timer.

OP
OP
W
Apr 16, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718EB
Exp
8 years
I have the iNet. It came with the van. Works brilliantly and allows remote control of equipment and devices.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back