Travelling to Scottish Islands (1 Viewer)

Sep 6, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Low-profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Good Evening All

We were due to leave on the 14th Sept for France for 3-4 weeks and after much deliberation have decided not to go. Have now decided to go up to Scotland and do the WC 300 around Dumfries and Galloway. If weather is favourable we will then go over to Arran and then possibly Mull and up to Skye. I was looking on the CalMac sight at ferry options and it said if travelling in a motorhome you must have campsites booked. W wilel be using a mix of campsites and wild camping. We do not want to book to much in advance so we can stay flexible. The question is do the ferry operators actual check that you have site bookings?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
As far as I know, yes. They are actively discouraging wild camping as no details of visitors can be taken.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
The CalMac site says that they are required to inform sellers that they should have a booked pitch but that they will not be requesting sight of the booking.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Calmac will not ask for proof of any bookings. I know this from experience. Some routes are especially busy, Ardrossan-Brodick is at certain times of the day or week so booking is advisable if you know your plans but they will still allow turn up and go if they have space.

OP
OP
theapples
Sep 6, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Low-profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for all the replies/information. At least I now know I can keep my plans flexible.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks for all the replies/information. At least I now know I can keep my plans flexible.
Please remember the rationale behind the requirement to provide details. The Islands have minimal health services and will be seriously impacted by transmission of CV19 hence the reason for trying to maintain some form of track and trace. Serious injury \ illness frequently means airlift to a mainland hospital.
Whilst you desire flexibility please also consider the implications on the local communities this may bring.(y)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
A few years ago on North Uist I had reason to visit the doctor. He prescribed some drugs and told me that should my condition deteriorate I should go to hospital. When I looked surprised he said they would send a helicopter for me. Thankfully I made a swift and full recovery.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
We hope to be able to visit the isles in late October, but the current timetables only run to the 18th Oct. Does anyone here (who might be local-ish) know when CalMac usually release the timetable for late Oct/winter?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
A few years ago on North Uist I had reason to visit the doctor. He prescribed some drugs and told me that should my condition deteriorate I should go to hospital. When I looked surprised he said they would send a helicopter for me. Thankfully I made a swift and full recovery.
Yip, it's not just a 999 call and the ambulance arrives in 5-10 minutes!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We hope to be able to visit the isles in late October, but the current timetables only run to the 18th Oct. Does anyone here (who might be local-ish) know when CalMac usually release the timetable for late Oct/winter?
Timing will be based around CV19 developments and Scottish Government advice.
Current timetable (15 July to 18 October) was issued on 2 July. If it was me I'd be working on Winter timetable (probably with REF pricing) out in early October but .......................?

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Great thread, we’re going up to Scotland next Wednesday and over to Harris on the Friday for a few nights. We’re going to wild camp at hushinish for at least one of those nights and I was wondering how we could show the ferry people this. After reading this thread it would appear that we won’t need to. Once again motorhomefun comes to the rescue.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
and potentially impacts the local population?:rolleyes:
What like anyone travelling to anywhere does? I sincerely hope you never ever go anywhere except your house because if you do then you impact on others but I suspect you don’t stay in your house all day every day. I suspect you think it’s ok for you to go to other places than your own house but not others.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
What like anyone travelling to anywhere does? I sincerely hope you never ever go anywhere except your house because if you do then you impact on others but I suspect you don’t stay in your house all day every day. I suspect you think it’s ok for you to go to other places than your own house but not others.
Is your closest hospital a helicopter \ aircraft ride away?
Yes we've been away but not to an area where that would be required as we understand the potential implications for the local residents. Had been thinking about the Hebrides (after Orkney last year) but would "no way" be doing in the near future as we've got respect for the potential implications on the locals.

ps Scotland only

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Is your closest hospital a helicopter \ aircraft ride away?
Yes we've been away but not to an area where that would be required as we understand the potential implications for the local residents. Had been thinking about the Hebrides (after Orkney last year) but would "no way" be doing in the near future as we've got respect for the potential implications on the locals.
Why would I need a helicopter ride? I don’t have Covid. Yes I have been tested. What about travelling there any other time? What if the traveller has a cardiac problem? Or a traffic accident? What about needing a hospital then? They are much more likely than needing a helicopter because of Covid but then you know that. I’ve not heard about anyone needing emergency admission because of Covid have you?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Why would I need a helicopter ride? I don’t have Covid. Yes I have been tested. What about travelling there any other time? What if the traveller has a cardiac problem? Or a traffic accident? What about needing a hospital then? They are much more likely than needing a helicopter because of Covid but then you know that. I’ve not heard about anyone needing emergency admission because of Covid have you?
When were you tested? Will it be current at time of your proposed travel?
Agreed, cardiac, traffic and even child birth patients get airlifted to the mainland for treatment but is adding further potential requirements sensible?
Are you aware that some of the islands allegedly don't even have medical oxygen supplies?
Yes, people have been airlifted to our local hospital for Covid treatment.

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
I think wild camping is better for than congregating on sites.

Will be setting off for Scotland on the 18th and will be avoiding campsites as much as possible to minimise any contact.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I think wild camping is better for than congregating on sites.

Will be setting off for Scotland on the 18th and will be avoiding campsites as much as possible to minimise any contact.
What are the implications on track and trace? We've been on a couple of sites and managed very effectively.

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
glenn2926
We are just back from the Hebrides. We were advised by Calmac to book all of the ferry crossings due to the restricted numbers allowed. No need to show or communicate site bookings.
We stayed at Cliff Beach, Hushinis and Luskentyre.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Been back a week after spending 10 days in the Outer Hebrides. Never any mention of having to prebook sites. Infact there are some places where the local communities ask for donations for wild camping there, by paypal in some cases.

Just go and don't worry about it, there are not many people to come into contact with in most cases. I wouldn't have said there were not too many motorhomes when we were there.

Calmac have reduced service and space so I would ensure that you have at least to ferry to and from the main land booked. The inter Island ferries were not full and you stayed in the vehicle.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
glenn2926
We are just back from the Hebrides. We were advised by Calmac to book all of the ferry crossings due to the restricted numbers allowed. No need to show or communicate site bookings.
We stayed at Cliff Beach, Hushinis and Luskentyre.
Thanks for the info We will be travelling up to Dumfries and Galloway, then Up to Dunbar after then we want to go to either Orkney and Shetland or the Outer Hebrides. We will make a decision once we get to Dunbar. Interestingly Shetland camps sites you cannot book you just turn up as most are community owned with no one person to contact, so not sure how we can prove site bookings.

Rosco

Free Member
May 17, 2020
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Please remember the rationale behind the requirement to provide details. The Islands have minimal health services and will be seriously impacted by transmission of CV19 hence the reason for trying to maintain some form of track and trace. Serious injury \ illness frequently means airlift to a mainland hospital.
Whilst you desire flexibility please also consider the implications on the local communities this may bring.(y)
Many people don’t realise that it’s not about them but the impact that they may have on other people lives especially in the remote region, just stop and think sometimes if the shoe was on the other foot the impact it may have. 👍

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Many people don’t realise that it’s not about them but the impact that they may have on other people lives especially in the remote region, just stop and think sometimes if the shoe was on the other foot the impact it may have. 👍
I understand what you are saying, but I have spoken to islanders, watched Promote Shetland and Calmacs own videos and all are saying come and visit we want you spend money with us.
normal social distancing systems are in place and they are ready for us.
travelling In a motorhome, is a socially distanced existence so I feel confident that we will be careful and should not cause anyone to catch anything from us as currently we do not have the virus.
Most of the cases are in urban locations, many in ethnic heavy areas or groups of idiots ie 300 at a country house in Midlothian, apart from one site at Dunbar we will be well away from all that.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
If your go through on the A713 give us a wave as you go past our home.(y)
So long as people play by the rules everyone should be happy.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I understand what you are saying, but I have spoken to islanders, watched Promote Shetland and Calmacs own videos and all are saying come and visit we want you spend.......

We are very active with elements of the Shetland community (all different islands) and I'll say now that a huge majority of islanders would rather have the camper/motorhome/non-island folk banished until the virus has gone away.

The only people that really want the holiday folk to visit is the very small business community who are in a desperate financial situation and need the cash before they fold.

Also, the Promote Shetland site is like a self licking lollipop and doesn't reflect the majority of the local opinion but, that said, it wouldn't be sporting for Promote Shetland to reflect the true voice of the local islanders.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
We are very active with elements of the Shetland community (all different islands) and I'll say now that a huge majority of islanders would rather have the camper/motorhome/non-island folk banished until the virus has gone away.

The only people that really want the holiday folk to visit is the very small business community who are in a desperate financial situation and need the cash before they fold.

Also, the Promote Shetland site is like a self licking lollipop and doesn't reflect the majority of the local opinion but, that said, it wouldn't be sporting for Promote Shetland to reflect the true voice of the local islanders.
Fear of the unknown is powerful but not always rational.
Banishment until the virus has gone ? This virus isn’t going anywhere soon so would you rather those businesses fold, don’t think that’s very fair to them. We are living in a new regime, we have to be careful, but the only way to kill this virus would be everyone stays inside and no-one goes out, that isn’t going to happen is it. My contacts in Shetland are telling me come up in October, so all things equal we will try.
You may think I am being selfish, but no, I have been an accessor of risk for 40 years, this is another risk to consider.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back