Touring in Belgium / Holland - Any Tips? (1 Viewer)

MartMaeve

Free Member
May 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just starting out..
Hello funsters,

Looking at spending a couple of weeks (possibly up to 3) bimbling around in Belgium and Holland, travelling up from Calais. We just wondered if anyone would care to share any tips or hints that might make it extra special for us in our relatively new life with our Hymer and 2 children under 5?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

All the best!

Martin & Maeve

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Are you planning on staying on Aires or campsites?
Download Campercontact and take a map
Have you got a route in mind?
If you do a search on here, Techno visited Holland a couple of years ago and documented his travels which may give you some ideas.
The roads in Belgium are bone shakers and some of the driving standards is, erm fast.
But I’m sure you’ll love it

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
There's a nice Aire at Peruwelz on the canal pathway, good for cycling but not much in the town. 6 euros with elecky, toilets and showers and restaurant bar next door. Check out for motorway repairs there have been some reports of lengthy delays. The Belgium motorways are of poor quality at the best of times. Have you thought about nipping across to Luxembourg. Some great sites and a really nice clean country with cheap fuel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

IandJ

Free Member
Oct 6, 2017
Funster No
I am sure the children would love Efteling. We really enjoyed Texel off the North coast (20 minute ferry) from Den Helder, which is also an interesting place for an overnight stop. You don't say when you intend to travel but if it's the main holiday period I would certainly look at booking if you want to be in a particular location.

OP
OP
MartMaeve

MartMaeve

Free Member
May 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just starting out..
Thanks Gavlad, we are new to funstering, and have no experience of aires, and very little of campsites (in this country or anywhere else). Will definitely have a look at Techno's journal. I have some continental driving experience so am not worried by the thought of keeping up with our exotic cousins ;)

OP
OP
MartMaeve

MartMaeve

Free Member
May 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just starting out..
I am sure the children would love Efteling. We really enjoyed Texel off the North coast (20 minute ferry) from Den Helder, which is also an interesting place for an overnight stop. You don't say when you intend to travel but if it's the main holiday period I would certainly look at booking if you want to be in a particular location.
It will be the three weeks at the end of July / start of August I think. Efteling definitely looks like somewhere my two would have a ball!

Are there good places to stay with a motorhome in that region?

M

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
There's a nice Aire at Peruwelz on the canal pathway, good for cycling but not much in the town. 6 euros with elecky, toilets and showers and restaurant bar next door. Check out for motorway repairs there have been some reports of lengthy delays. The Belgium motorways are of poor quality at the best of times. Have you thought about nipping across to Luxembourg. Some great sites and a really nice clean country with cheap fuel.
Plus a €1 for water but has a plastic tap which has had its thread stripped long walk to town not much open

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Thanks Gavlad, we are new to funstering, and have no experience of aires, and very little of campsites (in this country or anywhere else). Will definitely have a look at Techno's journal. I have some continental driving experience so am not worried by the thought of keeping up with our exotic cousins ;)
I'm sure you'll be fine. And if you get stuck, just log onto here and ask as someone will be able to help you I would imagine.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Couple of places in Belgium , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strépy-Thieu_boat_lift
there is a big carpark , and other side of village is a free aire , acess thru Village is easy (I took my 12mtr RV thru)
http://www.grotte-de-han.be/en has a campsite at parc :)
Last week the village was shut off as whole centre of village dug up should be ok in a couple of weeks had to do a 3 point turn next time we are there will try to get a tour around the in.bev brewery no services at aire

Feb 19, 2015
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just back from a month touring around Netherlands and Belgium and had a great time although we didn't have children to entertain. Efteling as mentioned above is a good shout as is Lelystad and Zane Schans as there are a few child friendly attractions. Otherwise there is lots of easy cycling and quaint villages and towns with English widely spoken to a very good standard its an easy place to holiday. Campercontact was our default for Aire and site selection and it was pretty accurate for descriptions and star ratings.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Since 2008
Camping Memling, just outside Brugge, proper campsite with good facilities, bus stop just outside site and easy access to Brugge centre (15 minutes). I would say if you're just starting out in a MH, especially with young children, you don't want to be learning the quirks of Aires, better to get the hang of the whole experience with hook up, drainage, water, playgrounds etc, plus on hand help the first trip away. I would hate for you to get the wrong impression of MH'ing in Europe with a few dodgy Aires, I would look at spending a decent amount and get to a proper site with good facilities, especially for the kids, because in my experience, if you keep the little guys happy, that's half the battle!

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Since 2008
BTW, Camping Memling is a great site for a couple of days exploring Brugge, but definitely book a couple of proper, fully serviced sites, swimming pool and playground for the wee ones, onsite or nearby food places (I know the purists on here will probably scoff, but they're probably all old and crusty!), yes it'll cost a bit, but seeing the kids happy can make a holiday.

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
Please take your family to Ypres and show them the sacrifices their ancestors made to ensure you have the life you now live.

And many of the roads are so bumpy that you may need cushions to absorb the shock.

(y)

IandJ

Free Member
Oct 6, 2017
Funster No
It will be the three weeks at the end of July / start of August I think. Efteling definitely looks like somewhere my two would have a ball!

Are there good places to stay with a motorhome in that region?

M

The closest place we stopped to Efteling was about 20 miles away, nice Aire

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back