138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Using Tom Tom maps with IGO Nextgen Software. Yesterday we headed for the Pyrenees. I set Dashboard Doris for Jaca and off we went. Route seemed slightly different but put it down to starting from different Aire. We drove on and started climbing. Still the route seemed different. We pulled over to check only to find out we were going over the top via a totally different route. We had a great time seeing wild horses and flocks of sheep guarded by Pyrenean mountain dogs. We eventually crossed into Spain and saw signs for Jaca. Realising we would be going back on ourselves we found a new stop over in Huesca. It’s a really nice stop lots of other MH here.

After we arrived I had a look at the route and eventually realised that the Tom Tom maps don’t show the Sommeport Tunnel. Not surprised we came a different way. Switched over to HERE maps instead and put in the reverse route and it takes you via the tunnel and a few Km shorter route.

Been using Tom Tom maps as they are more accurate at home and seem to have all our local 20mph speed limits on them. So back to HERE maps.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Used here maps for a few years now since they were already on my old Nokia phone, but this last couple of years we have moved to Google maps, I know all the stuff about them taking over and getting your info and stuff but really of no concern to me and it's left here far behind.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I've never been totally confident with any electronic navigation device so always have a quick check before I set off that it isn't doing anything stupid - like once taking me through Central London when I forgot to turn off the avoid tolls feature on the way to Folkestone.

On a trip the "navigator" always has a map open and if I think the satnav is doing something a bit odd I ask her to check on the map. Sometimes though, as the OP, we've found a much nicer, if slightly longer, route. But we're usually in no hurry..................

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I have come to the conclusion that for me personally I need to have Truck SatNav (I use Sygic) which is 'OK' and certainly helps with weights and bridge heights but also essential to have Google Maps running as well on my phone because it's routing around traffic etc is WAY better.

Total overkill but Sygic has let me down on route calls numerous times

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I supect that your TT maps are very old. Nevet heard of IGO Nextgen. Where did you get it from? Certainly the TT maps used by Sygic had the Somport tunnel on them when I went that way a couple of years ago. But Sygic use up to date TT maps.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Anyone used the app Nav gen or Waze. Saw them on Apple apps?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have always cast an eye over any route that a SatNav calculates, just to be sure and to get a picture in my minds eye. I find it very useful that most SatNavs have a compass function on the display to show which direction you are traveling in as I am so used to reading maps.

Nov 9, 2012
Paignton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1995
I am very surprised i have been through the Somport tunnel for many years both ways using TOMTOM maps.

John

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
ARE we talking Maps, OR the actual T-T Satnav mapping.? The T-T sat nav (device) shows the (correct?) route. I have found several errors in maps though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back