Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
Soda bread made with plain flour,bicarb,salt,approx plain coconut yoghurt.
image.jpg

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Nice! I keep meaning to make a ryebread, but I’m a little low on rye flour right now and prefer to keep it for my sourdough starter. At least ryebread does not require kneeding!
It was nice although the sandwich was quite an odd shape :giggle:, we were using our last bit of rye flour and it took a lot of yeast . Now concerned about yeast supplies as we have just started our last tin.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Now concerned about yeast supplies as we have just started our last tin.

Gluten free yeast has been in short supply for a while (one of the reasons I stopped making bread). Martin said there was some gluten containing yeast in Sainsbury yesterday. I had yeast on the shopping list but there was nothing suitable.

There appears to be plenty of "Fermipan" yeast on ebay (not suitable for people who are wheat / gluten intolerant)

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I'm never beyond experimentation, so I've tried a 'gateau aux pommes' found on a French FB link last evening.
Just out of the oven and the knife test makes me think it might be a bit dense. Mashed with custard will sort that....;)
apple cake (1280x720).jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Yesterday was baking day here at Puddle Manor ......... we had an excess of eggs (or is that an eggess?). Our 6 hens have produced 4 or 5 eggs each day for a week or more. Some have gone to neighbours but I was still left with 15 eggs.

So creme brulee, sausage and onion quiche, custard tart and a few biscuits were made yesterday. Sorry no photos :(

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I'm never beyond experimentation, so I've tried a 'gateau aux pommes' found on a French FB link last evening.
Just out of the oven and the knife test makes me think it might be a bit dense. Mashed with custard will sort that....;)

Update: As suspected, custard accompaniment is on the menu this evening. I think Chinese flour has been used - it tastes rubbery....:imoutahere:

I'll try again next week and use Mary Berry's sponge recipe for the base:unsure:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
C'mon DBK let's have a 'crumb' shot!
It wasn't a great success, despite three types of flour it lacks flavour and didn't rise well. But it did make nice toast for my poached eggs this morning. :)

IMG_20200402_164231.jpg

But she has made a ginger cake this afternoon. It was made from a kit she bought in Tesco. Not something she would do normally but they had no self-raising flour although they did have cake kits. Of course you can make your own self-raising flour by adding baking powder to plain flour and she might try that for any other cakes.

IMG_20200402_164537.jpg

The white loaf she made will have to wait as it has gone into the freezer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
It wasn't a great success, despite three types of flour it lacks flavour and didn't rise well. But it did make nice toast for my poached eggs this morning. :)

View attachment 374153

I'd say it looks great! I don't like too many holes in SD as the butter tends to fall through! You say 3 types of flour......... what percentage of each? How much starter to flour did she use and was it white or rye starter? Also did she retard it over night as that helps flavour to mature.

I like to use dark rye for my starter and usually add 20% starter to flour and sometimes like to include an extra 10% rye to the dry flour.....this gives a total of 20% rye which is good for taste but still allows you to use other flour with higher gluten levels :smiley:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'd say it looks great! I don't like too many holes in SD as the butter tends to fall through! You say 3 types of flour......... what percentage of each? How much starter to flour did she use and was it white or rye starter? Also did she retard it over night as that helps flavour to mature.

I like to use dark rye for my starter and usually add 20% starter to flour and sometimes like to include an extra 10% rye to the dry flour.....this gives a total of 20% rye which is good for taste but still allows you to use other flour with higher gluten levels :smiley:
It was about half white, perhaps a third wholemeal then the remainder rye. The starter was her normal white one.

Not sure about any other details and she will get suspicious if I ask but it wasn't kept overnight. I did suggest putting it in the fridge but she didn't try this. I've made a good pizza dough this way, using only a tiny amount of yeast and proving in the fridge for up to 4 days. :)

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
It wasn't a great success, despite three types of flour it lacks flavour and didn't rise well. But it did make nice toast for my poached eggs this morning :giggle:

I normally make my bread at home here as a drive to the boulanger each day wouldn't be very green at all. From time to time, I get an inexplicable failure with my regular loaf. I use a breadmaker and have found that the wholemeal program gives me a nice, airy, well-risen 500g loaf most of the time, using a mix of 2/3 multi-cereal and 1/3 type 55 bread flour. That's enough for me for a couple of days or so. I never vary the ingredients or method but just occasionally, it turns out looking like a housebrick (complete with frog:giggle:) as if it's collapsed in on itself. This might happen a couple of times on the trot. Trying a different sachet of yeast or even bottled water makes no difference, so I'm never sure of the cause. A third loaf, and all is back to normal. Strange...

The failures are no good for cucumber sarnies but makes smashing, chewy toast!(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
DBK What I've witnessed while shopping is that plain flour is harder to find than self raising. :rolleyes:
It must vary, our eldest son managed to buy some bread flour - which he has donated to his Mum. :)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Oh this one was a lovely surprise! I decided to mix things up a little this morning...... so this Sodabread is a bit of Wholemeal Spelt, a bit of extra course Wholemeal and a bit of white Spelt........ and then the liquid was half water half milk and a couple of teaspoons of cider vinegar. To ‘bake’ it I still used the fry pan on the hob but used a glass lid to keep more heat and moisture in.......the result was less cooking time (8 mins a side) and a really light and fluffy crumb with a super sold crust........result???

1EBF83CB-412B-4DF1-8CC3-CAA5F4AE35ED.jpeg
F838B9E4-E325-4AB5-BA5E-AC625F42EB63.jpeg
42E60C2C-B84F-44B1-B101-38D39B8B7094.jpeg

With butter n Fig jam ......mmmmmm ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Oh this one was a lovely surprise! I decided to mix things up a little this morning...... so this Sodabread is a bit of Wholemeal Spelt, a bit of extra course Wholemeal and a bit of white Spelt........ and then the liquid was half water half milk and a couple of teaspoons of cider vinegar. To ‘bake’ it I still used the fry pan on the hob but used a glass lid to keep more heat and moisture in.......the result was less cooking time (8 mins a side) and a really light and fluffy crumb with a super sold crust........result???

View attachment 374350View attachment 374351View attachment 374353

With butter n Fig jam ......mmmmmm ?
A MH friendly recipe too for those without an oven.

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
Great Family Bake Off (GFBO)
We have done a GFBO within the family using messenger video call, contestants etc as follows:
Granddaughter(11yrs) /grandson (8yrs)-Yorkshire Cheesecake
Daughter-Cheshire - Banana loaf
Sister in law -Derbyshire - Rainbow cake
My wife - Devon - Jam sponge
Mother (88yrs)-Lancashire - Victoria sponge

Paul Hollywood, alright then my son judged the final offerings and we expected some favouritism toward grandchildren before the verdict. However Star Baker was sister in law with Rainbow cake, quite apt as she is a nurse in a hospital.

Offerings below..... ha.. ha, my mum could not quite get hang of taking photo and sending to us all, so we have a baked IPad case!!!!
IMG_2129.JPG
IMG_2128.JPG
IMG_2131.JPG
IMG_2142.JPG

Next week we are doing a CoronaVision, songs now being considered. Waiting to live the dream again. SMUDGER55
IMG_2130.JPG

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
?Do you have to use cream of Tartar in soda bread or will self-raising flour do

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 615 af
Exp
2 weeks
Lovely baked goods on here to drool over! Heres Mr Dobbster's coffee and walnut cake.

Note: probably best to dissolve coffee granules before adding to buttercream as takes a long time to sieve them out.........
#stillyummythough

AnnK

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
North West
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 580pr
Exp
Since 2016
Here's my effort, they are oat, banana, chocolate chip & peanut butter muffins
20200405_150417.jpg

Don't know what they taste like yet ::bigsmile:

Edit: just tried one & they were actually yummy.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back