Thetford fridge problem - photo attached (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
hi, and thanks for viewing this thread,

I have attached a photo of our fridge/freezer display. it appears to be showing a problem when on mains power as the blue light is flashing. I have checked the manual and it mentions fault codes. does that mean that the fault code being displayed is '1' (the number 1) along with a spanner? does the spanner indicate a fault or is it just part of the fault code and only comes on if there is a fault?

if the '1' does relate to a fault code - then the manual says - AC current is measured to be 75% of below normal current

does this point to a fault in the supply or to a fault in the fridge/freezer?

MH fridge issue.jpg

ive just found this link
Broken Link Removed

so I will start working through the suggestions !!

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I reckon your 240v element has packed up, happened to me when van was8 years old.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Are you on a site? On a few sites the power from the EHU is not strong enough to power the fridge. We have had this a couple of times during the last year or so. Does it work OK on gas?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
not on site - so will check supply first before I start ordering parts !

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I had the same issue at home once. All I did was disconnect from the supply and then reconnected again and it went back to working.

Never had the issue since so not sure whether it was just fluctuating supply or something else.

I have since bought one of these for when I was having issues with a heat pump tumble drier and needed to see what the voltage at the socket was doing (the engineer said it was due to low voltage - it wasn't and this proved it, so new drier supplied under warranty).

Amazon product ASIN B07GNPKHQ9

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I reckon your 240v element has packed up, happened to me when van was8 years old.
Same thing happened to ours, very easy to change & not expensive to buy either.
Deffo do-able for the DIY type.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
A failed heating element would certainly result in <75% current. If the ‘reset’ instruction above doesn’t work I’d be checking the a.c. Heating element.

Ian

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Mine was a bit fiddly to change, fridge required removal. Once out very straightforward. Renewed all the sealing foam with neoprene and made new secure fixings for the fridge.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Same code appeared on mine earlier this year on my way south for our winter break. Proved it wasn't the hookup voltage as it was the same wherever I connected to a mains supply. Bit of a nuisance but managed okay on gas - we rarely hookup anyway.

Had a similar fault earlier on the 12v element, changed it myself with no difficulty so once I'd returned home and bought the 240v element it took me about half an hour, which included removing and replacing the fridge as not possible to remove the elements in situ like it is in some installations.

Leisureshopdirect carry most models, they tend to be generic anyway, cost around £28 if I remember correctly. You'll need the model number, usually on a label low down at the back inside the fridge.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
thanks for all the responses, i have checked on a different 240v supply with the same result. i also powered it up on gas, then after a few hours switched it over to run on 240v and turned the thermostat down as soon as it needed a supply again, it showed the same fault. so it looks like the 240v heating element is faulty.

has anyone got photos etc of replacing the element and is it possible to replace from the outside vents?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I see you have the same van as me so I can tell you it's not possible to replace the element without taking the fridge out - there simply isn't enough room as an insulating jacket has to come off to get at the element. Before I started mine (the first timer with the 12v element) I did see a couple of photos but cannot now remember where - it may have been on one of the retailer sites, some of them have diagrams. But if it is of assistance I'll PM you with the procedure - it's straight forward although you might need a little help getting the fridge back in its hole. I did the job myself in less than an hour.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Thanks Terry, i have found something useful on youtube, so i will view that a few times. i am pretty hands on with stuff, so not phased (sorry for the sparky pun!) about giving it a go.

ps we met you on the funster stand and you gave us a sticker !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back