Tarifa and Cadiz looking for recommendations? (1 Viewer)

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hiya

Can anyone suggest a safe "Fur lined thong" or Aire in Tarifa and Cadiz. This is our first time here, so any must sees, or tips would be very welcome too. We are a convoy of three motorhomes, so we are unlikely to be able to get into small aires.

We got a ferry to Santander and drove down the coast from Barcelona to here (Fuengirola), Cadiz will be our furthest point before heading up to Seville and Cordoba, and then home via the elephant Aire.

It has been an amazing trip so far, love the tapas, and the wine, and the history and the beaches. I even loved Beni for Christmas. Spain has been a delight, although the Costa del Sol is my least favourite bit so far. I am even considering if it beats Portugal into second place.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Tarifa has some great campsites the coast Northwards to Cadiz has to be the most beautiful and unspoilt coastline in Spain. There is some wild camping but not a lot of aires. Camping Rio Jara on the beach just to North of Tarifa is a favourite of ours.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As above, aires a bit few and far between. There are several campsites just north of Tarifa and in Cadiz area Camping Las Dunas at Puerto de Santa Maria is convenient for the ferry to Cadiz and the sherry bodegas of course. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
There is a small seafront aire, with half a dozen or so places, just east of Cadiz town on the beach road. I'd planned to stop there in April last year but managed to damage my water tank pipework on a very high kerb reversing onto the bay. Most places were occupied so the chances of 3 bays being available is a bit iffy.

I'll second DBK's suggestion re Camping Las Dunas, just over the bay, which I went to to get the repairs done. The catamaran ferry makes Cadiz very convenient. Nice site, good facilities and ACSI €18/night.

Reactions: DBK
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Football club at Gib is a good bet for 3 euros/night and plenty of space, you can also stop for free outside Carlos's behind Carrefour at Palmones.

There are plenty of wildcampers around Tarifa but no guarantees. There are 3 places listed on CC for cadiz, we have previously used the one mentioned without an issue but the other 2 are carparks so payable and you do have to plan your stays a bit - read the reviews on Camper Contact.

Las Dunas is OK but no views and the boat doesnt run if its too windy.

On the way back Merida is amazing - Parking Amphitheatro

And the new free one at Palencia widely discussed on here is the bets Fl.T Ive seen so far

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Tarifa has an aire up the (gentle) hill past Mercadona and then on rhs follow downhill and you will see it, again rhs. At this time of year, water is disconnected but it is free parking.
To visit beautiful Cadiz, we park at the Port carpark. €3 for 24 hours BUT YOU MUST TAKE THE TICKET TO THE ATTENDANT after taking it from the entrance machine and parking up to avoid the hourly rate. Will be noisy due to port workings but for us it is okay. Avoid weekends as I believe that a nearby disco keeps everyone awake. (The local brass band practices daily between 8 and 11 ish pm but a nice spectacle... as long as the players are not beginners!) Lol the city is but 15 minutes’ walk.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
There was lots of vans wilding on the carting track just up the road from Rio Jara. Some quite long stayers looked like they had been there for months.
Nice aire at Monesterio on the way back up between Seville and Caceres.(y)(y)(y)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
For Cadiz we used the ACSI discount card site at El Puerto de Santa Maria on the other side of the bay (ACSI No 3033), and caught the regular ferry into Cadiz itself. It is called Camping Playa Las Dunas de San Anton. I suspect that would be the most likely place to be able to get 3 spaces in the area. It was an OK site and a 10 minute walk to catch the ferry, which was a nice way to arrive in Cadiz. But beware of arriving or leaving on a Sunday. The usual way in and out is blocked by a big market and it is easy to get caught in the narrow streets of the main town while you are looking for the way out. Got that T shirt.

There was a car park in El Puerto that you could stay overnight on, Campercontact No 44583, but it does not have any facilities. We didn't stay because it looked noisy with the main road very close. And looking at recent reviews it may not accept motorhomes anymore.

While you are in that neck of the woods you should try to visit the "cowboy" town of El Rocio, which is well worth it to see the wild horses wading through the shallow lakes. The town has dirt roads and the houses and businesses have hitching rails outside for the horses. A couple of places you can stay for a night or two for free, but no facilities. The camp site on the edge of town is good though, and again in ACSI, No 3034

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
A couple of places you can stay for a night or two for free, but no facilities
The stopping places in El Rocio are parking only and no overnighting. La Aldea is a nice site and a stones throw into the village, it’s actually in Doñana national park lots of great birding all around but you really need transport to get you out to the wetlands near Isla Mayor.(y)(y)(y)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The stopping places in El Rocio are parking only and no overnighting. La Aldea is a nice site and a stones throw into the village, it’s actually in Doñana national park lots of great birding all around but you really need transport to get you out to the wetlands near Isla Mayor.(y)(y)(y)
This time of year there seems to be no problem stopping for a night or two at the car park on the opposite side of the main road (the only tarmacced one!) to the car park near the church (to the right of Bar La Guindilla). Some have even managed to stay on the car park near the church for a night or two as long as they pay the car parking attendant the daily fee. We wanted to stay for a few days so went to the campsite

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
This time of year there seems to be no problem stopping for a night or two at the car park on the opposite side of the main road (the only tarmacced one!) to the car park near the church (to the right of Bar La Guindilla). Some have even managed to stay on the car park near the church for a night or two as long as they pay the car parking attendant the daily fee. We wanted to stay for a few days so went to the campsite
There are now signs at the main roundabout saying no sleeping in motorhomes overnight we are here now and have been for last three weeks there is a daytime park next to the police station and again signs stating no overnighting. I suppose if you’re prepared to take a chance and risk a fine then that’s up to you:) but I wouldn’t recommend it, especially three vans.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back