Somewhere to stay near Badminton House (1 Viewer)

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I've left it too late to book a camping pitch for the Badminton 3 (well, 5) day event this year :(.

I've had a bit of a Google and can't find any sites nearby. Although I'd be happier to be in the MH, I'll be camping with a friend (who'd really rather be in a B&B), so we're really looking for something near enough to make her feel it's worth camping, if we're going to have to drive each day. We've camped onsite in the past, and it would only have been a space in a field in the grounds anyway, so I'm not looking for advanced facilities!

The postcode is GL9 1DF

I don't suppose anybody has any ideas? We'd be looking to stay from Fri 3 May to Mon 6th (2019).

Thanks
Julie

OP
OP
juwlz

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
There's actually a really well appointed CL 4 miles away - but of course it's fully booked. I have managed to book another C&MC CL for the extended weekend though.

In case it helps anybody else, the crowd-sourced website was MUCH more useful that the club's own CL search, and can also be used to find MoHo-friendly car parks and pub stopovers. It doesn't search by post code, but you can choose a point on the map to home in on. And it doesn't cost anything, even to log in and save your own lists. Of course, it's heavily funded by advertising.

There's also an Android app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kal.searchforsites.searchforsites
and an iOS app https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/searchforsites/id1391657133?mt=8

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I didn’t reply because I had no information to offer .... it’s years since we went to Badminton .... pre children, pre careeer change (to teaching hence impossible now), pre campervan. We stayed in a B&B and had an amazing time. We had no idea about the steeple chase. And the early morning vetting outside the House .... Ian Stark had ridden the cross country with one stirrup as his leather broke early in .... imagine the groans as his horse was pulled up unsound at the vetting ....
Enjoy! Hope you get great weather xx

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
As you can imagine, the roads around are pretty much gridlocked at arrival and leaving times.
Hopefully your campsite hosts will be able to advise on best way in.

OP
OP
juwlz

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Local B&Bs were sold out too @Grianan - no big surprise there.

'Im indoors doesn't do horses, and the dates haven't been great for my horse-loving friend in recent years. We'd only have been able to get there for Sat & Sun. But this year it's Bank Holiday weekend again, AND my friend's day off has changed to Friday this year (and she thinks she might be able to manage to get away early on Thursday too), so we'll get there in time for all 3 phases, and we know we'll enjoy it. (I bought our tickets, including Sunday Grandstand seats for the showjumping phase, as soon as I'd booked the CL and we knew we'd have somewhere to sleep!)

Of course, we'll be hoping it won't be typical Bank Holiday weather :D. But even if it is, we'll just have to dress appropriately for it.

Competition and the trade stands don't get going until at least an hour after gates open each morning, so our plan will be to just get up and go early enough to arrive just before gates open, and THEN pack everything up properly and have breakfast in the MoHo when we get there. The joys of taking your own facilities with you (y).

Onsite MoHo camping at Badminton is £250 for the 5 day season pass, which also includes admission for two. This compares with £30 for a parking season ticket + £60 each for admission = £150 (at earlybird prices), so Badminton's own camping (with just a tap in a field and some portaloos, but within walking distance of the event) works out at £100. Our site will cost us £36 for 3 nights (with hookup), so we'll save some money for the inconvenience of having to travel each day, even after we've covered the petrol for 10 miles each way.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
That sounds like a great plan, I’m sure you will be able to beat the traffic that way.
Fingers crossed for the weather, I’ve only been once just because of the traffic, but it’s tempting now to go with the van like you very early and leave late.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun