Peteandalex

Free Member
Sep 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 month
hi all just bought a dual battery 160w solar panel from sunstore solar I have a swift 530 lp fiat ducato motorhome can any help with how is the best way to route the cables to the batteries as the panel is near the rear of the roof on the door side of the roof and need cables to go to leisure and engine batteries any able to guide me

cheers

Pete

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Don't forget, you can route the wires forward in mini trunking bonded to the roof. Then bring through a gland into a suitable overhead locker. Conceal the wires from there in behind trim or via a matching mini trunking down to floor level and the batteries

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The solar wiring doesn't seem as straightforward as I thought. I've just had a kit delivered I was going to connect to the prewired solar wire in the cupboard over the sink (chausson flash 10). The drawback I knew about was that the battery is isolated from that wire unless the control panel is switched on it wouldn't have bothered me as we keep it on ehu at home so don't need the solar unless we are away.
I phoned the help desk at sunstore they say it's not a good idea as you are supposed to connect the battery first so the solar controller knows whether is charging a 12v or 24v battery and theres a small chance it will select the wrong one.
Has anyone experienced this? I suppose it also means the solar controller ought to be disconnected from the solar panel if the leisure battery is changed too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

Peteandalex

Free Member
Sep 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 month
Well went ahead and fitted and I had enough cable to route to both batteries happy days sun store were superb with fitting instructions and questions I fired at them I was able to live chat on a couple of occassions and message and answer via email on other questions really happy and all working as should regards

pete

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Well went ahead and fitted and I had enough cable to route to both batteries happy days sun store were superb with fitting instructions and questions I fired at them I was able to live chat on a couple of occassions and message and answer via email on other questions really happy and all working as should regards

pete
I've since looked at the booklet for the victron controller and it says the first time a battery is connected it selects the voltage automatically then it's fixed unless changed in the settings so according to that it should be fine!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back