Solar Panel - does this sound right? (1 Viewer)

Asinfish

Free Member
Jun 29, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
i want to go to more rallies etc and I am thinking about fitting a solar panel to my 2012 Autocruise Alto van to improve the available power - therefore I would welcome any advice on what I am planning to do

I have a single Leisure Battery 110AH (Absorbed Glass Matt) - I will need to use the water pump, the lights,and Waeco CR80 Fridge (it doesn't work off gas). I have gas for cooking, water/room heating

I am not bothered about a TV and I don't need an inverter for other devices - I only need to ensure I can power my fridge and have power for charging iPad/Phones etc. So I was thinking of fitting a 120W solar panel to the existing battery and I just wanted to check whether this is the most cost effective solution or if you would suggest anything else.... ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well your biggest current draw there will be he CR80 compressor fridge, it can take around 2ah per hour from your batteries so that would be 48ah over a 24 hour period and a flat battery BUT we have to assume that spec is for while it is running and it will take a lot less especially overnight when it's cooler and you don't keep opening the door.

I would suggest that you spend a 24 hour period without EHU (even if it there for standby and you just don't use it) but with the fridge and normal stuff running and see how your single battery handles it, the voltage at the end of the period will tell you it's state of charge 12.7 being good and 12.2 about as far down as you want to go.

Sorry it's not a straight yes or no, for sure though a single 120w panel will go a long way to keeping your 110a battery charged and may well keep up with what the fridge uses.

Martin

OP
OP
A

Asinfish

Free Member
Jun 29, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Martin - I should have said that another reason I am considering this is because went camping overnight for 1 night without any EHU a few weeks ago and just had the water pump on, fridge and used the lights - About 4am the fridge started making noises and the control panel was flashing so I knew I had drained my power. However, I didn't really understand what was happening so I will do as you suggest and monitor the battery levels. Regards

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks Martin - I should have said that another reason I am considering this is because went camping overnight for 1 night without any EHU a few weeks ago and just had the water pump on, fridge and used the lights - About 4am the fridge started making noises and the control panel was flashing so I knew I had drained my power. However, I didn't really understand what was happening so I will do as you suggest and monitor the battery levels. Regards

OK the other way of reading the fridge consumption is that it is based on 2ah per hour being an average over the 24 hour period so then the 48ah per 24 hours would apply and your battery would be flat as you have experienced, even with a solar panel it would always be good to be able to survive one day with next to no output as the sun doesn't always shine so another battery as well might be the way to go.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back