Share your opinions on these brands please! (1 Viewer)

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
So, we're in a bit of a "first-world problem" scenario. We want to upgrade to a newer and more spacious van with more room for our kids and our rather big dog. We're torn between a rear twin (converts into huge double) with drop down double low-profile or an A-class with a similar layout. Whilst we do care very well for our current van, we aren't at all precious about it..wet dog...wet muddy boots etc all fine as long as we can clear it up nicely later on. We have an 11 year old boy and a 15 year old girl, so feel they should have their own beds..hence the layout. We've been to look at a number of vans now and i'll brifly sum up what we've looked at and why we have decided against it, then say what's left and ask your opinions on the manufacturers.
Chausson - Nice layouts but hated the dark wood on the VIP Premium line and all the stickers over screw-holes. Made it felt rather cheap for the money we need to spend.
Roller-Team - Very flashy but all the wood feels and looks cheap. Having seen a good few after a season of use, they don't seem to hold together very well at all.
Dethleffs - Gorgeous interior, simply beautiful. Poor design for the rear wardrobes and a lack of useful storage means it's a no-go for us.
Weinsberg - Nice looks. Great storage. No central table available in low-profiles and seats not particularly comfortable for the kids. Nope.
Knauss - Same as above pretty much.

Currently looking at Pilote and Eura Mobil. Im aware that Eura Mobil have a very good reputation for quality and seem to age and hold their value very well, but does anyone have first hand experience of them? Anything I should know?

Pilote - Don't really know much about them. Would love some opinions and thoughts from people more knowledgeable than myself.

Many thanks for anything and everything as always!

Joe

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Once you get to any of those decent brands i think i'd focus on layout and your exact needs rather than brand A being better than brand B, i personally think they're much of a muchness.

So instead of location, location, location i believe it's layout, layout, layout...

Upvote 1

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We had a Pilote it was good quality, we changed it only because the electric bed got stuck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Joe.

We have a Euramobil Terrestra which is nearing 4 years old. Generally really pleased with it but had several issues with the habitation door and other bits and other things that two trips to the dealer (130 miles away) failed to fix. Eventually arranged to drive to the factory who were absolutely brilliant doing everything in a day.

Can't really complain about the dealer as there were a few delays getting spares whereas the factory had them on the shelf.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Sorry, I'll try and make myself clearer as I think I've not explained myself very well. If one layout is better then that would, of course, trump most other things. The Dethleffs was excluded for that reason. We have seen one Pilote this morning and are going to see a few Eura-Mobil at the weekend, but I don't really know too much about the brands themselves and was just asking for other users experience with them :)

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
As above again. While new base vehicle continue to improve, the construction and material used in modern vans is getting lighter, cheaper and less durable imo.
Happy hunting
Not always the case with the development of new construction materials, better insulation and lighter as well as bring the cost down.
Quite surprised some are still using timber as the internal constuction system.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Oh, I would also love to hear from any Adria owners as well as the Matrix Access layout also looks to fit the bill as well!

Upvote 0

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Not always the case with the development of new construction materials, better insulation and lighter as well as bring the cost down.
Quite surprised some are still using timber as the internal constuction system.
Yes, now all built down to a price rather than up to a quality!! Plus they are hamstrung by the 3500kg licence limit in the UK and Europe.

So as a dealer once told me: most folk and the hire industry buyers want a 7.5m van that weighs under 3500 kgs. Lighter chassis, furniture etc are the only way to achieve it.

Upvote 0

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
Similar to your your family needs and wish list we’ve gone for Bürstner 728 G drop down bed for us and rear twins for kids so we dont tip toe round sleeping kids but older kids perhaps some sort of divider ?

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
😥😓 Sorry, I don’t know much about the vans to which you refer. Other than they all have their weaknesses but you’ll find that they go up and down in quality depending on year of manufacture......as has been mentioned.

Also worth you looking at Rapido. ;)

Upvote 0

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We owned a Eura mobil 9m tag fiat A class for 2 1/2 years and it was a great machine and loved having it. However it did seem to wear badly on the internal fittings plus the cupboard and drawer door catch’s are a nightmare as they love to open on corners (not what you would expect for a 100k plus motorhome).
Also the leisure battery set up and sound surround system where inadequate.
The fiat engine with comformatic gearbox on a 9m tag axle was a dream combo and such a lovely drive.
It had great storage options with a huge garage but this was the top model.
So if buying second hand just give it a good internal inspection and a test drive, if buying new hopefully you live close to the dealer to sort out all the snags that could possibly occur.
Hope that helps and it wasn’t too negative.
All motorhomes I think will come with some measure of compromise.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Yes, now all built down to a price rather than up to a quality!! Plus they are hamstrung by the 3500kg licence limit in the UK and Europe.

So as a dealer once told me: most folk and the hire industry buyers want a 7.5m van that weighs under 3500 kgs. Lighter chassis, furniture etc are the only way to achieve it.
Brave quoting a dealer! I get some of your point particularly around the 3.5 watershed but in terms of materials take the America’s Cup, or F1, new technology, stronger, lighter, better performance than we have ever had previously. Product development is essential and called progress which doesn’t mean making something not as good a quality as previously.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020

Yes, we have certainly noticed a huge difference in the materials being used on modern vans compared to our twenty year old Burstner!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
All motorhomes I think will come with some measure of compromise
Couldn't agree more and this is what we keep quoting to each other. We know that something won't be "perfect" and the game is to find the van with as many "perfects" as possible with the smallest amount of "oh buggers" !!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Brave quoting a dealer! I get some of your point particularly around the 3.5 watershed but in terms of materials take the America’s Cup, or F1, new technology, stronger, lighter, better performance than we have ever had previously. Product development is essential and called progress which doesn’t mean making something not as good a quality as previously.
In one of our videos about good vs older vans, you can hear me repeatedly slamming one of our kitchen drawers open and shut. No modern van (save perhaps the Morello / N&Bs) would make that kind of solid "THUNK" sound!!

Upvote 0

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Couldn't agree more and this is what we keep quoting to each other. We know that something won't be "perfect" and the game is to find the van with as many "perfects" as possible with the smallest amount of "oh buggers" !!
Unfortunately for our bank balance the solution was a morelo.

Upvote 0

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
We had Dethleffs I1 A class bought brand new in 2017, and it was badly designed and built, got rid of it after 9 months, just could not face going anywhere in it every time we went somewhere something broke or fell off, changed it for a Rollerteam Pegaso and it's been pretty much faultless, pleasent to drive and virtually rattle free, and seems to be well screwed together.

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
We have a Le Voyageur 7.8gjf. Just us and two dogs most of the time.
We also take our grandson and granddaughter too, the twin beds at the rear are ideal, front drop down bed too. The shower and toilet can be completely shut of from the rear beds and hab area.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
In one of our videos about good vs older vans, you can hear me repeatedly slamming one of our kitchen drawers open and shut. No modern van (save perhaps the Morello / N&Bs) would make that kind of solid "THUNK" sound!!
You should have self closers like ours.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Exactly the same as I've felt about my motorhomes, boats and garden sheds; the perfect ones are 6' longer than the ones I've got.

Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
We are on our second Pilote as we were very happy with the first (P716P) we P/X for a G740 A Class which we love.
We like the lighting and also the seats and beds are extremely comfortable and due to the fact that we had very few problems we were happy to stick with the brand. Massive table at the front of the G740 which mean't moving around was an issue but we removed and replaced with a Lugun leg and table top (works really well). I think the quality of the units/cupboards seem good and modern for the price.

I'm no expert this is our second MH and both have been Pilote so I can't really compare to other brands.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
We are on our second Pilote as we were very happy with the first (P716P) we P/X for a G740 A Class which we love.
We like the lighting and also the seats and beds are extremely comfortable and due to the fact that we had very few problems we were happy to stick with the brand. Massive table at the front of the G740 which mean't moving around was an issue but we removed and replaced with a Lugun leg and table top (works really well). I think the quality of the units/cupboards seem good and modern for the price.

I'm no expert this is our second MH and both have been Pilote so I can't really compare to other brands.
We went to look at the G740 today. Very nice machine with the only downside is that the headroom in the rear bedroom (in the queen bed model) was a little limited for me as the floor raises up about 4 inches at that point. It also made the shower a bit of a bugger to use with my 6'4" frame!

Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
We went to look at the G740 today. Very nice machine with the only downside is that the headroom in the rear bedroom (in the queen bed model) was a little limited for me as the floor raises up about 4 inches at that point. It also made the shower a bit of a bugger to use with my 6'4" frame!
Not a problem for us but yes I can see your issue!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back