Sat Navs (1 Viewer)

May 13, 2020
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 675
Exp
couple of years and loving it
I was surprised to see ournew MH wasn’t supplied with sat nav! (New to me, 2016 Swift) So first job is sort this out. Question is what are my options. I have a portable Tom Tom but this isn’t specific to MH travel or is there something I can

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
They’re expensive but honestly, buy a motorhome specific one. I have a Garmin 760 Lmt or something like that. We used my motorbike one for a couple of years. That was fun. The motorhome specific ones come with the ability to input your length, width, height and weight. This helps, a lot. They also come with campsites etc already installed. I have Garmin because I find it more intuitive than Tom Tom. It also has Basecamp which lets you plan routes on the laptop and then install them onto you sat nav.

Upvote 0

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Tom Tom truck 6000 -free for life map updates... never let me down (he says touching wood)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
I would also recommend the Garmin Camper, I have used various different sat navs over the years and stick to Garmins now because of Basecamp. I prefer some of the onscreen options on the TomTom but I find the ability to use Basecamp on a laptop to easily set routes up, and add your own way markers/POI far outweighs the advantage of having how many miles to destinations displayed (TomTom) as opposed to arrival time (Garmin). The Garmin routing can be a bit pessimistic sometimes, avoiding roads I know there are no issues with driving down in the MH, but from personal experience it is no worse or better then the TomTom Camper in that respect.
There are many here who use one of the many Chinese truck sat navs from eBay and they can be great, I had an XTrons android head unit with a built in sat nav and it was pretty good, only issues I had with it were that it took forever to recalculate if I decided a turning it was directing me down looked a bit tight and carried on past it. It would spend a good 5 minutes telling me to turn round. And it would regularly recalculate the route I was on to basically take me back to the start and start the whole route over again when we stopped for a break. Bit of a pain but OK when you know it can happen.
Many others use Google maps on tablets, which is another way to go, especially if you have a reasonable sized tablet with a GPS receiver.
Whichever you decide the thing to remember is that the mapping software is only ever as good as the information supplied to the company supplying the maps, so if the information doesn't contain width details on a specific road then the mapping software can direct you down unsuitable roads if they happen to be the shortest/quickest route. There is a particular site we often use in the Peak District that if you follow the sat nav route to, from just about all directions, it will route you every time via a road that is almost unsuitable for cars let alone MHs. So it is always worthwhile taking time with a decent map book or Google maps/Earth taking a look at the routes they give you especially out in the wilds.

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Tomtom camper, let's you put height, weight width speed etc. Displays distance & arrival time plus whatever poi's you set it to display. Lifetime maps & updates without connection to computer, plus a lot more.
DP

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Garmin camper we have a 770 LTM-D able to put in differing van profiles. I believe there is an 880 now😊👍

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
....... and add your own way markers/POI far outweighs the advantage of having how many miles to destinations displayed (TomTom) as opposed to arrival time (Garmin). ...........
I use Basecamp as well and I'm pretty sure I've got our 760 Camper set-up to display time and distance to next waypoint and time and distance to destination.

Upvote 0

Pit

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Rapido 962M
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I recently bought the Garmin Camper 780 with the optional Garmin BC 30 reversing camera as I don't want to have multiple screens when one will do the job of two. It is also compatible with the Garmin BC 40 which is truly wireless as it runs on two AA batteries, were as the BC 30 will require wiring into the the reversing light or switch in the gear box.
I have had Tom Toms for over 15 years and have got fed up with the length of time and failed updates. My Car couldn't be updated at all. had the Dealer sort it out in the end. to say that VW use Tom Tom for their maps they are shockingly rubbish. So any long journeys now in the car to places I am not familiar with will be using the Garmin.

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I bought a TomTom with free maps for life about 5 years ago. They now no longer support it. Bloody rip off merchants. Although it is good for a spare. I have now bought a Floureon for trucks £31. But they are now £38 on EBay

Upvote 0

Peterd

Free Member
Jul 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
I've got the Garmin for my Adria Twin with a BC40 reversing camera but I have a Tom Tom app on my mobile just in case. Never met a GPS app that got it right every or most of the time. Nothing quite like travelling 5km down a road that comes to a bridge with a height limit just over 2m. No warning along the road, just came to the bridge. I've also set up an action camera in my rear window just in case the BC40 decides not to work.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back