Samsung printer install on Linux mint (1 Viewer)

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
Just bought a cheap refurb laptop with Mint installed for dicking about on the internet in the van.
Never used Linux before and am having a right job sussing out how to get a downloaded Samsung printer driver installed. No matter what I try, its a brick wall.
I am on the verge of giving up on it but thought one of you techno gods might know a simple step by step guide that I can have a look at.

Help!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
steve 6644 What model Samsung printer and Mint version do you have?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Gromett
Grommet may be able to help.
Sorry not had a printer in many years. Last time I installed printer was a label printer for Jim and it just worked.

It is worth pointing out that Linux tends to come with most if not all drivers built in and you don't need to download anything.

OP
OP
S
Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
steve 6644 What model Samsung printer and Mint version do you have?
Hi mate, its a Samsung Xpress 2026, I downloaded the drivers and I think they may even be the right ones;) but for the life of me I can't understand the methodology of installing them. I have watched tutorials, been on forums, engrossed the installed instructions.
I have a colossal skill set in the real 'old' world, but this crap is just so unintuitive and badly presented to newcomers to the system. Just my experience of course.

The Linux version is Mint 1.9 I think.

Cheers.

Steve.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The Linux version is Mint 1.9 I think.
Cheers.
Steve.

I've been using Mint for a few years now ( I'll bet yours is 19 ) and never had to download a driver. Two PCs, one laptop here, two printers and both just worked.

Is there anything in settings - printers ?

I love mint.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
cant help im afraid, but if i can butt in, has anyone got a chromebook to talk to a printer , i cant do it , i actually email anything i want to print to my phone then print it from there.
as an afterthought , that might work for you.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Try a generic driver, you may not get all the bells and whistles but it will print.

OP
OP
S
Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
cant help im afraid, but if i can butt in, has anyone got a chromebook to talk to a printer , i cant do it , i actually email anything i want to print to my phone then print it from there.
as an afterthought , that might work for you.
I've been using Mint for a few years now ( I'll bet yours is 19 ) and never had to download a driver. Two PCs, one laptop here, two printers and both just worked.

Is there anything in settings - printers ?

I love mint.

Your right it's Linux Mint 19 Mate (LTS) 64Bit
It shows lots of samsung printers in the lists but not my model. I did find the driver but I just don't know how to install the sodding thing.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It shows lots of samsung printers in the lists but not my model. I did find the driver but I just don't know how to install the sodding thing.

Live dangerously, try a few of the ones on offer.

I will admit I've never got the scanner on my all-in-one to scan under Linux. But I have printed A3 on the A4 printer.

There is a Driver Manager - don't know if that does printers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back