Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well following Keith's escapades at the weekend, I was forced into taking a "real" look at my tyres, and it came as no great shock to discover that they were well overdue for a change, I had been putting it of since the purchase of the RV given that they had only done 23000 miles, but the signs were there for all to see, the tread areas were as new but the sidewalls left an awful lot to be desired, with cracking visible on all tyres, the rears being the worst,the front showed early signs and will kept as reasonable spares, possibly carried on the Moroccan trip, but if anyone wants to buy one off me in Morocco, they will be thousands of pound each:ROFLMAO:
After biting the bullet, 6 new shiny Firestones arrived at my Garage door today, the first difference i noticed was how oily and plyable the rubber was on the new tyres.
compared with the old, which are very dry and hard, I cant however find a manf date on the new ones, has this practice ceased?
Any hoo, help will now be reqd to Carry the RV to the next meet, as due to cost :Eeek:these tyres aren't seeing Tarmac, ever!!!!
Geo

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Fitted 6 new Good Year tyres to the RV last year - all dated - thought it was a legal requirement now - are they UK sourced?

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
UK sourced? yes, and made in the good ole US of A???????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just changed first tyre, dont know what they normaly charge but it aint enough:Wacko:
Geo

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
I do hope the cost of these tyres came out of your baccy allowance and not Pammy's clothing allowance :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
No Sharon, Baccy allowance safe, Pammy's donated half her Gin allowance
Just read your chineese tyre thread, please tell me Nan Hook is a little town in America:ROFLMAO:
Geo

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Talking about tyres i had one blow out on me at the weekend on M5 motorway,clocking about 65 mph when it let go.
been keeping an eye on my tyres for deterioration couldn't see any
anybody heard of Maxmiler tyres just replaced my blown one with one, came highly recommended from my local tyre shop that i've used for years

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
Geo Said "No Sharon, Baccy allowance safe, Pammy's donated half her Gin allowance"

After last weekend's hangover, I told you, NO MORE BOOZE so that means you can have the full allowance. So then, just to weigh it all up...

I no longer smoke (gave up August 10th this year)
I no longer eat (lost 3 stone over the last year)
I no longer drink :cry:

Just don't expect me to give up sh*****g! that would be just too much to bear:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Pam

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
shouting? you can say shouting :roflmto:

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
News to me:Eeek: I thought she gave that up 20 years ago
Geo

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
You will get enough puffing and blowing fitting those tyres mate, don't worry :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Nice one Geo.....

Keith

motoroamin

Free Member
Aug 12, 2007
North Notts
Funster No
MH
As available
Exp
Involved with Caravans and Motorhomes over 15 years
And here's a pic of the sort of cracking you can get with ageing tyres:

tyre-cracking.jpg

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Time to change John, but be weary of the chinese imports. :winky:

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well after fitting the two fronts I decided on leaving the rears till Saturday, and spent time researching the correct tyre pressures to suit the RV,
I found and underwent a 3 hr American coarse on Matched tyre mounting:Cool:
only to discover that according to the tyre manufactures I had fitted the front two totally wrong:Doh:
there are carefully laid down procedures for fitting RV tyres, and the UK method is somewhat lacking compared to the time and checks carried out using the US methods, so come Saturday the fronts came off again and all 6 were remounted the US way,still cant find a definitive answer to tyre pressure,
during the change over I discovered a flat i didn't know i had, o/s/rear inner only19lbs and the o/s/rear outer had what i thought was a cut, but in fact turned out to be separation of the top cap due to overloading and over heating, caused by the inner being flat and the outer carrying all the load, the RV in rel terms only needed 4 tyres as it turned out, one inner and one front tyre were unaffected by cracking and are very good spares the other front has minimal cracks and may well run on for a few more miles, the remaining three show clear and unmistakable signs of UV/age fatigue, comparing the remaining tread depth with the new tyres it was clear these type of tyres are good for 100,000 miles and then can be re grooved, but for the fatigue these tyres had another 75000 mile left in them, very frustrating, you may scoff if in the future you see me actually using the UV protectors that came with the RV here in the UK, I will be happy to explain their use verses the cost of replacement
Geo
Rather than just bin the three tyres with cracking is any one desperate for a spare
I would be happy the fit them to my own as a get you home fix, but not recomended for prolonged use (225x70x19.5)
UK Premier Tyre Fitter:thumb:

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
there are carefully laid down procedures for fitting RV tyres, and the UK method is somewhat lacking compared to the time and checks carried out using the US methods, so come Saturday the fronts came off again and all 6 were remounted the US way,

Hi Geo, I have worked with comercial tyres for more years than I care to remember, but I am not sure what you are worried about with the fitment of your front tyres. What do they do in the USA that we dont?

If anyone needs there own tyres fitting in the North east I could help them out no problem and possably get the front balanced if required too.

Richard...

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Geo
sounds like you bought directional tyres that can only go on one way
come on mate share the info :Smile:

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
No nothing so sinister as directional tyres, Normal RV type (Firestone) Dot marked, Manf March 07, not Chinese, as far as I'm aware commercial tyres in this country are just fitted ie thrown on, Do you do anything different Richard than you would with a normal car tyre??

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I was led to believe they had balance marks on the carcass and a definate way to fit to the rim.

I know from Motorcycle tyres this IS the case.

Please let us know?

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
OK but don't tell Richard
yes the tyres and the rims are marked also front wheel mounting positions and were to place marks, also rear wheel positions marks are placed opposite one another as with the valves, How many RVs have you seen with both valve extensions coming out the same hole in the wheel ?
the marking differ and is a long winded system if you want the full breakdown i will write it up
but not to night
It may be a load of US claptrap anyone know better:Cool:
Geo

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Thanks Geo,

I thought I'd lost it for a minute. ::bigsmile:

My RV Valves come out opposite each other as I would expect..I hope that's right.

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
How many RVs have you seen with both valve extensions coming out the same hole in the wheel ?
the marking differ and is a long winded system if you want the full breakdown i will write it up
but not to night
It may be a load of US claptrap anyone know better:Cool:
Geo

Errrrr Mine........... Best you have a lazy day tomorrow writing this all up matey.....
Thanks for the info ::bigsmile:

Keith

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
It may be a load of US claptrap anyone know better
Geo

Might well be, but you kever know. My guess would be on older tyres before balance patch's were fitted there might have been some reason to fit the tyres so the heavy marker is opposite the heavey marker on the rim. I can only speak of Michelin and Goodyear tyres and neither of them have these markers on. The main reason valves are fitted opposite on the rears is more to do with ease of fitting valve extensions ( some rims have 5 holes in them so it would be impossable to fit them opposite)

I would just put them on with plenty lube inflate them and thats it. Our lads fit 200+ tyres a day to bus and coach rims and we have very few problems (honest) I would not worry to much about rim and tyre markers, if you do get and vibration problems they could be easy balanced.

I would doubt any UK tyre fitter would know what you were talking about if you asked them about the markings. Dont worry just get them on.

Richard

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back