What's people's opinions in rotating tyres? Do you need to do it or not? Thanks

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Hard to rotate when they are directional although mine are not CP rated tyres just C

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hard to rotate when they are directional although mine are not CP rated tyres just C
You swop front to back.
On most of my vehicles if I swop front to back then you can get 50k miles out of them all. no swopping then front used to get changed twice & the back would need changing due to age/cracking but plenty of tread left.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
When we had a sorrento it’s awd and the manual said to swap front to back every 7,500 miles to keep the tyres the same size, as there was a sensor in the gearbox that’s messed up with different size tyres.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Swapping front to back is a complete No, No, as the best tyres should always be on the rear for safety.
I rotate my spare with the front tyres so then all 5 wear out at the same time. You need to do it regularly as you don't want one side nearly worn out with a new one on the other side.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Adding the spare into the mix is too complicated as it's on a steel and the others on alloys. Although the first change of the fronts I use the spare and one new tyre and the best of the removed ones goes on the spare.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Adding the spare into the mix is too complicated as it's on a steel and the others on alloys. Although the first change of the fronts I use the spare and one new tyre and the best of the removed ones goes on the spare.
That only applies if your spare is different to your rolling wheels, always best to have the same for a spare.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Swapping front to back is a complete No, No, as the best tyres should always be on the rear for safety.
That's interesting. For 50 years, ever since my first Mini, I've always ensured that the best tyres are on the front for best steering (and grip with front wheel drive). :unsure:

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
That's interesting. For 50 years, ever since my first Mini, I've always ensured that the best tyres are on the front for best steering (and grip with front wheel drive). :unsure:
Yes i always thought that too.. regardless of front or rear wheel drive surely for safety sake it's better to have good grip for steering (and braking) than at rear.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes i always thought that too.. regardless of front or rear wheel drive surely for safety sake it's better to have good grip for steering (and braking) than at rear.

It is understeer versus oversteer . If the best/new tyres are on the back & the front loses grip it understeers. If the best are on the front & the back lets go You've crashed unless a rally driver.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
You swop front to back.
On most of my vehicles if I swop front to back then you can get 50k miles out of them all. no swopping then front used to get changed twice & the back would need changing due to age/cracking but plenty of tread left.
They would be well past the recommendation to change before 6 years

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
It is understeer versus oversteer . If the best/new tyres are on the back & the front loses grip it understeers. If the best are on the front & the back lets go You've crashed unless a rally driver.
Correct....understeers straight into that brick wall you were safely going to miss

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A front wheel blow-out is easier to control than a rear with a tall and heavy vehicle. See also comments re under- and over-steer.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
The vitals of the vehicle handling and running are at the front, I always preferred a bit of oversteer with added under steer. And always use to swap fronts to back after 7-10k miles. If the tread is under 4mm I will not do it but if is 7mm left in front and the back is 9mm then I will swap. Understeer can loose the radiator, or worse come of the road in a ditch or soft verge. The back will only swing out if the tires are really shit and you race in the bends. Drive like you ride: in like a pussy out like a lion, and the back will follow you all the time.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I have to disagree with you there Gus.
If I lose the front (oversteer, running wide on a bend) I've lost steering (going face first into a ditch, wall, hedge or oncoming traffic). Plus braking effect is reduced as they're creeping sideways or locked.
If I lose the back I still have steering, can steer out of the skid and have a good chance of dragging the trailing rear of the car round the bend with the back end hanging out briefly. Worst case I end up going backwards (better protected by the seat back and headrest) into the verge/hedge or oncoming vehicles.

On the motorbike I never want the front to slide as I'll almost certainly be off. If the rear wheel hangs out (not uncommon for me) I can recover very much better. Speedway riders on cinders only briefly have the rear wheel in line with the front and losing the front is definitely not wanted.

The more I think about it (I don't very often) the more certain I am that having the best tyres on the front is essential.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Interesting articles, Lenny. I suppose one has to take notice of experts.
However (will he never give up?) all my vehicles have been front wheel drive except for my first, a 1936 Morris 8, 1939 MG Tourer and then a 1954 Moggy Minor, neither of which went fast enough to skid if not on ice or snow (which was great fun).
I think have ABS on my current 2014 car only and don't know what 'EPS' is so probably haven't missed it.
I've done a bit of rallying in Minis plus motocross and grass track with motorbikes and in spite of the experts I still feel happier with the best tyres on the front.
Just pig-headed I guess.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Decide that the tyre tread depth range between new & 3mm is safe.
Then rotate front to back on the schedule advised by the vehicle manufacturer - or not.
But do replace tyres when they're too old or tread depth is below 3mm.

Adjust the above if you're taking vehicle on snow covered roads and the tyres aren't winter tyres. et al

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
To be honest I am just grateful if they are black,round and have a nice pattern still around the outside. Haha

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline

From attached article

Also remember to use regular rotation between the axles, most often every 10,000 km, to keep all tyres in a similar condition and avoid uneven wear (when the starting point was 4 identical tyres).

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
3mm is absolute min on a heavy vehicle a legal requirement in a few countries in the winter, Germany for one.
Good point. I did revert to mentioning a typical value mentioned for cars rather than thinking of a motorhome.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Agreed front wheel drive does put more load on the wheels but in all honesty I just change all 4 when either the front or rear start getting low (3-4 mm) then each corner starts with a brand new tyre.

The exception to this was one of my cars had to have new-rear tyres every 5,000 Miles the rears were fairly expensive and the fronts I changed every 10,000 the irony was they are fairly cheap.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back