Replacing cold water pipe in Hobby 600 (1 Viewer)

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
I have a Hobby 600, 2001 model and have problems with the cold water. There is a smell like rotten eggs coming from the cold water tap on the kitchen sink, no other one smells. Despite cleaning with proper cleaning products god knows how many times the problem keeps recurring. The only thing I can think is that somewhere in the pipe from the tank to the tap there is an accumulation of something causing the fouling of the water.
Has anybody any idea how easy it is to find the I assume manifold type thing where the water is directed to where it is needed after leaving the pump or has anybody any suggestions to stop this from happening without changing the actual waterpipe. It is only this one tap that does it and its got me flumoxed

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Do you use your shower?

Maybe water is sitting in the pipework and somehow getting into the kitchen cold water feed.

Tar Ten

Free Member
Jun 19, 2020
Elgin/ Morayshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600fse
Exp
im a noob
Hi,
I have just got a Hobby 600 x reg and have just been going through familiarisation of everything...
Have found that ( not my idea but found on quite a few threads ) flushing through with a white wine vinegar and water solution is excellent...

When I first tried everything out , water was going through the system however it had gunky black residue coming out of every tap and the shower with restricted flow...

I lifted the carpet and checked the water and waste tanks and these were really clean and non smelling( fixed the erratic level gauges at the same time) so put it down to just build up in the piping system....

Put 5 litres of vinegar into fresh water tank and filled up with about another 45 litres of water...... Flushed it through shower first and then each tap individually.. Loads of gunk came out and eventually ran clear...Had put a mesh over plug holes to stop bits going back into system each time... Let it sit for two days.... Flushed through again with same dilution and you could see more gunk coming out ( not as much but probably just accumulated residue...) then ran clear again a lot quicker...

Doing this also cleans your water tank as well... and once its in your waste tank do a nice drive to slosh it around your waste before draining as it also cleans off any build up on level sensors...

After that just flush through the system with normal fresh water a few times to get rid of the vinegar smell...

* Remove shower head and tap spray inserts if possible before flushing and with a bit of tape just 3/4 cover the holes with tape to cause a little restriction...*

I also did it through the Truma hot water system as it removes scale and build up as well....

The egg smell could be residual h2s from the bio breakdown of organic materials and human waste..
I am new to all this but do some vans have a cold water feed to there toilet where it could be possible a non return valve is goosed allowing the aroma back up through the water system???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
vectian
Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
Hi TarTen I've had mine 6 or 7 years and its a perennial problem waters fine weather gets warm and after 2 days of non use it smells. There's no sign of gunk, no smell from any other tap and the tank smells fine. All I can think is there's something in a bend in the plastic pipe to that tap that's causing it. Looks like its a look with an inspection camera to find out where things are

Tar Ten

Free Member
Jun 19, 2020
Elgin/ Morayshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600fse
Exp
im a noob
After a few days... on mine the gas valves for the cooker, fridge,heater and ext barbecue point are just under the sink...
could you have a tiny gas leak that just builds up and lingers

Dec 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We've got a 650, I've had the same problem with the kitchen tap cold water smell. Ended up replacing the kitchen tap (it was knackered anyway) and doing a few sanitations with puriclean, seems to have sorted the problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back