Replacing Carver Water Heater with Propex Malaga SE (1 Viewer)

RobWid

Free Member
Sep 25, 2018
Exmouth (at the mo?)
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2018
Hi

Just some thoughts in case anyone is planning to change/update their Carver water heater.

Having developed a split in my Carver water heater tank I was advised that the Propex Malaga SE was a direct replacement for the Carver and Henry water heaters.

So a few phone calls finally decided to purchase direct from Propex since they were so pleasant and helpful - even if not the cheapest.

All seems to work really well (only tested on electric so far) so no criticism there.

BUT be warned it was on my van at least (AutoSleeper Symbol) anything other than the direct replacement I was led to believe by those I asked.

The significant difference is that the Propex unit is intended to be fitted from inside the van whilst the Carver units is fitted from outside. The Propex unit is far too big to fit through the hole!

This meant firstly removing the sofa and cutting a large hole in the top of the unit. This is both to get the unit in and allow it to be serviced since unlike the Carver unit this can’t be done from the outside of the van.

Secondly the Propex unit was far to wide for the cupboard space I have in my van so the next task was to cut the side walls out.

The hose fittings are a long distance from the original Carver locations and so all had to be extended.

The Propex mountings meant that I had to make a new platform for the unit to sit on - had to line up with the existing hole in the van.

I couldn’t use the existing wiring and neither could I pull it down from the unit above the kitchen - 12v supply and controller - so new locations and power source had to be found.

The adaptor plate provided was great except the cutout was offfset and I needed it in the middle so had to make another.

So seems fine but was a great deal of work to fit in my van and I suppose just a word of caution to others that this might not be anything like a direct replacement for you.

I also think that servicing is going to be a real pain regarding access having to be from inside the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back