LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Anybody had their Fiat Ducato engine remapped. Thinking of getting mine done so I will have more torque for towing, making life easier on the hills etc.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
was always against remapping.

but had to have some work done on the ECU. so they remapped
from 130 bhp and 320Nm torque

after remapping

180 bhp and 420 Nm torque

not sure i notice the 50 bhp but the extra 100 Nm torque is very noticeable..... smother, stronger on hills, fuel economy a smidgin better by around 1.5 MPG.

one of the best things i have done.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Ive had my car re mapped and its brilliant however don't think i would have the MH done as too much potential strain on the clutch and drive train.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Ive had my car re mapped and its brilliant however don't think i would have the MH done as too much potential strain on the clutch and drive train.

I had similar thoughts but having driven it now for over a year with the additional torque and BHP i have changed my mind; I think that unless you grab the gears slam the foot down and "drive it like you stole it"! there is little extra strain IMHO.
but when you need the extra torque in towing or on steep hills what a difference, you are not up and down the gears as much so arguably less strain on clutch and gearbox.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
was always against remapping.

but had to have some work done on the ECU. so they remapped
from 130 bhp and 320Nm torque

after remapping

180 bhp and 420 Nm torque

not sure i notice the 50 bhp but the extra 100 Nm torque is very noticeable..... smother, stronger on hills, fuel economy a smidgin better by around 1.5 MPG.

one of the best things i have done.

Hi phil...what was the cost if you dont mind me asking? We have been looking into this too..

Kev

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I had similar thoughts but having driven it now for over a year with the additional torque and BHP i have changed my mind; I think that unless you grab the gears slam the foot down and "drive it like you stole it"! there is little extra strain IMHO.
but when you need the extra torque in towing or on steep hills what a difference, you are not up and down the gears as much so arguably less strain on clutch and gearbox.

This is what my mechanic was saying. He is a genuine guy who has looked after our cars for years. He has done his VW T5 because he tows a boat and said how much better it was. He has also done a lot of motorhomes. I never drive my motorhome like I stole it and am always gentle on gears etc.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi phil...what was the cost if you dont mind me asking? We have been looking into this too..

Kev

i had other work done with it and i got as part of the package so its difficult to say actually what the remapping itself cost.
the total bill was £500, but i needed work done on the EGR valve and on the Particulate filter sensors.
not had any issues with any of them since and very pleased with the change in performance.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I still worry about the clutch. They are not very good and can fail on a standard Ducato at 35,000 miles

the strain through your clutch is when it is being engaged and disengaged ( unless you have a V12, 750 bhp monster :)) so my logic is if you change gear smoothly there is no greater risk than before mapping and if you have to change gear less through better torque then thats a plus.

BUT...

i guess its like everything in life .. we pays our money, and make our choices based on what we think is the right thing to do or suits our lifestyle or current needs.

There is no right or wrong in this just choice.

i travel without a spare wheel, many people would not consider doing that.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
@Phill D
This has been raised many times before, and I have read with interest, as I am doing now. May I ask how old and what mileage your van has covered? The reason I ask this is that I feel that those who are still under The Fiat Warranty, or have not fully run in their engines say 15K plus would be best advised not to do this, just in case of a warranty claim.
I take it that your EGR needed de-sooting, which is a common problem on many diesel engines.
Some did report clutch slip in top gear up hills with clutch fully engaged, but they must have clocked up a few miles before that happened.
Good luck hope all goes well, I am sure some will question the 50 extra BHP increase,;) but we shall see.(y)
Les

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We have had a Steinbauer Power Module fitted. It’s a plug and play so easily removed. It gives us extra torque when we need it.
Mick at SAPs fitted it for us.
I am not sure that I have spelt it correctly but I’m not going out in the dark to look.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
@Phill D
This has been raised many times before, and I have read with interest, as I am doing now. May I ask how old and what mileage your van has covered? The reason I ask this is that I feel that those who are still under The Fiat Warranty, or have not fully run in their engines say 15K plus would be best advised not to do this, just in case of a warranty claim.
I take it that your EGR needed de-sooting, which is a common problem on many diesel engines.
Some did report clutch slip in top gear up hills with clutch fully engaged, but they must have clocked up a few miles before that happened.
Good luck hope all goes well, I am sure some will question the 50 extra BHP increase,;) but we shall see.(y)
Les

i certainly would not do this when in warranty.

my van is a 2012 had it from new. in the first few years we were only doing around 3K miles and although i drive what i consider normally i dont stick to 50 mph on motorways i think the low miles had an adverse effect on the ERG which was not badly sooted but stuck occassionaly the main problem i had was that i went through 3 DPF sensors in less than 3 years ( outside warranty :( ) no issue with the DPF itself ( although there would have been had i not got this sorted i am sure ).

it has now done 30K miles; this last 2 years done around 15K and around 8k since the remap.

no sign of any clutch slip as yet :rolleyes::oops: i'm worried i said that now.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
My would slip when I tried to use more torque up hill instead of changing down
Silly question but..If it shows signs of slipping when in a high gear...Normally that would indicate a worn clutch any way. Having worked all of my life in the heavy traction unit and Fork lift truck dept Field service with Caterpillar and John Deere and McCormick tractors ..the simplest test on any small vehicle to determine clutch faults was to put it into a high gear and try to pull away. If it stalled it was ok. If it slipped and then took up drive...it was ermmmm...buggered or due to be ! :whistle:

Kev

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Had mine 2.3 remapped last year 2009 40k miles. Can tell the difference on hills, less gear changing and mpg has improved by 10%.
I got a quantum technician to do mine who was recommended by a fellow Rapido owner who's had 2 done.
I was sat on the fence as whether would be worth it, took the plunge and glad I did.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Silly question but..If it shows signs of slipping when in a high gear...Normally that would indicate a worn clutch any way.

Yep it was on its way out at 35k and I had to nurse it back from South Germany. These are not the most robust clutch and that's why I pointed it out.
Pulling 3.5+ tonnes permanently is not going to help towards a long life clutch - even for a commercial van.
Asking it to cope with extra HP/torque can only make it worse. IMHO:Eeek:

sorry,, is that a statement of fact or you feel would be your luck?

I'm not not sure what you mean.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Did my older 2.8JTD 3 years ago, a big difference in torque - a distinct improvement. I'd do it again on another vehicle without hesitation. That was also with Quantum, via a local remapping company.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Yep it was on its way out at 35k and I had to nurse it back from South Germany. These are not the most robust clutch and that's why I pointed it out.
Pulling 3.5+ tonnes permanently is not going to help towards a long life clutch - even for a commercial van.
Asking it to cope with extra HP/torque can only make it worse. IMHO:Eeek:

I'm not not sure what you mean.

you've answered me Alex it was a statement of fact that your clutch was slipping thanks

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Did my older 2.8JTD 3 years ago, a big difference in torque - a distinct improvement

Totally different engine -- totally different clutch?

Mine seemed to have masses more torque as standard - compared to the 2.3 multijet.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Just booked ours in with Quantum Too at Stoke . Ours is on the 12th so hopefully ...all will be ok for our travelling ? Fingers crossed.
Being quoted £250. Quite chuffed with that to be honest

Kev

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Anyone had a 2.2 2015-on Peugeot boxer done? Wouldn’t mind 150bhp on mine(y)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
according to the Avon tuning web site a 2.2 2015 110bhp boxer can be remapped upto 180bhp and 420 Nm torque
Blummin eck, just looked on quantum site 200bhp 419nm torque!!
Will my turbo and clutch cope with that??

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
guess its down to how you drive it.... if you ride the clutch it wont last toooo long, and if you drive italian style ;) or as if youve stolen it you may have a few issues .

but IMHO if you drive normally and smoothly you should have few issues but you will notice the torque difference when driving that is for sure,

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
My current an is a 2004 2.8JTD and I found in the paperwork a receipt for a re-map. I wasn't to sure about this, after hearing the clutch horror stories on here, but it's been fine on our trips so far.

However last time out the clutch started slipping a bit on a long steep hill.

My van has the high ratio 5th gear (whereas the last van didn't) so my theory is that it's the high ratio of 5th that's causing the slippage - and the low ratio is OK.. Thinking of getting 5th gear changed...

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i would say if your clutch is slipping on long steep hills then its worn, if a clutch is fully engaged in good order and there is not excessive ( and i mean alot of power being transmitted ) power trying to drag a lot of weight then it should be fine.
as i have posted earlier the damage to clutches is mostly done when the clutch is being used i.e. pulling off, changing gear, maneuvering ( particularly reverse ) when you foot is on the clutch pedal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back