Free Member
Dec 20, 2017
lancashire
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki 649
Exp
since 2014
Anyone ever mounted a quad bike rack on the back of their MH? I’ve seen one on the back of one similar to my MH before... but only once. Just wondered about any weight issues involved? Thanks

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Unless its a small engine quad dont think you are going to have the load capability to have one hung on rear rack , esp with regard to rear axle loading .
The average 200cc ATV weighs about 365 pounds.
HTSH :)

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I read that as a bike rack for four bikes.
Never imagined trying to carry a quad on the back of a van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I cant see any towbar/racks carrying that kind of weight, even if the van has that much spare payload.
Its a trailer you need I think.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
If you are in the Swift kontiki still they are bad enough already in certain conditions losing traction on the front drive wheels .
What you are thinking about would make the vehicle lethal in my opinion (y)

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The OP's van does have a tandem axle, as shown in the avatar.

However, would still be concerned about the weight taken off the front axle owing to the cantilever effect.

Think SV Tech apply a formula to check the effect of unsafe loading BETWEEN axles.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
The OP's van does have a tandem axle, as shown in the avatar.

However, would still be concerned about the weight taken off the front axle owing to the cantilever effect.

Think SV Tech apply a formula to check the effect of unsafe loading BETWEEN axles.
The kontiki we had was a tandem axle too !
They lose traction on driving wheels surprisingly easily on hills and especially on an incline with a camber if trying to either pull away or doing low speed manoeuvring (n)
Caught me out a few times (n)

OP
OP
holg8s

holg8s

Free Member
Dec 20, 2017
lancashire
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki 649
Exp
since 2014
Thanks for your replies. I was thinking the same with the weight issue. But I have definitely seen one on a rack before. Wonder how he did that eh! I think the trailer option is best also.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thanks for your replies. I was thinking the same with the weight issue. But I have definitely seen one on a rack before. Wonder how he did that eh! I think the trailer option is best also.
Because the vast majority wouldn't even have the thought of weight occur to them.The next % ,like my friend, bury there head in the sand.
I'm no longer amazed at some of the stuff posted for sale with huge ali back boxes on, ali chequer plate floors & side walls in garages, I've even seen recently one adapted with built in air compressor, pressure washer ,etc; & all being advertised as being able to be driven "on a B" licence. Yes but it still won't be legal.:D2
I'd be amazed at anyone who put an actual quad bike on a bike rack. I'd think after the first trip there would be serious loosening of the wall mountings.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back