Qs for all members new to Motorhoming (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
There seem to have been a lot of members joining MHF in the last year. Some of them have been motohoming before, but many are new to MHs.

Of those new to MHs may I ask some questions please?

When did you first start thinking about buying a MH?

How long before definitely deciding to buy?

What was your camping experience, if any, before, e.g. tents, caravans etc.?

How long was it from decision to actually buying one, or commiting a deposit?

What was the primary reason for the decision to buy? And any seccondary reasons?

How long have you had the MH now?

Since taking delivery has your experience changed from the expectations you had?

I and many others might be interested in your answers.

Thanks to those who respond.

Geoff

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Hi Geoff, I have listed my responses to your questions below:

When did you first start thinking about buying a MH? Started seriously thinking about it in June 2019 after 24 years of hoping.

How long before definitely deciding to buy? We spent 2 months deciding what was important the van should have. Visted a multitude of dealers, as well as the motorhome exhibitions at the NEC between Aug 19 and Feb 20, finally putting down deposit end Feb 2020.

What was your camping experience, if any, before, e.g. tents, caravans etc.? Camping a few times, hired VW for a long weekend.

How long was it from decision to actually buying one, or commiting a deposit? 8 months

What was the primary reason for the decision to buy? And any seccondary reasons? Wanted to travel. Never had chance when younger, started work at 16. Unhappiness at work was major reason, so sold house and went full timing.

How long have you had the MH now? 5 months, full time since beginning Sept

Since taking delivery has your experience changed from the expectations you had? Other than enjoying it more than we thought, no, we love the freedom even though we have been 'stuck on a lovely site in lovely Cornwall for the past month

Dave

May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Here goes -

When did you first start thinking about buying a MH? - for a long while for when I retired

How long before definitely deciding to buy? Went for our first look and bought dame dsy

What was your camping experience, if any, before, - very little but tried MH when young followed by camping tripd

How long was it from decision to actually buying one, or commiting a deposit? A few hours

What was the primary reason for the decision to buy? - alway planned to do
and met someone like minded

How long have you had the MH now? Second one in 8 months

Since taking delivery has your experience changed from the expectations you had? - yes, planning to go full time ASAP

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
About 20 years ago when we first rented

We bought within 2 months of deciding to buy

Very little camping. Maybe a week in the 60s. We did hire a caravan to tow in the early 70s.

As above 2 months

The inconvenience of sorting out a rental and the worry if the rental was damaged

4 months

No, in fact it's convinced us to upgrade early next year.

Trust above is of use.

Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
When did you first start thinking about buying a MH?

I'd always liked motorhomes and used to go skiing with a friend who had one but didn't really think it suited us to buy one. I think Jo and I made the decision to move from caravan to motorhome when we eventually realised we could make a MH work for us and have more freedom compared to a caravan.

How long before definitely deciding to buy?

About a month

What was your camping experience, if any, before, e.g. tents, caravans etc.?

All sizes and types of tents, camplet trailer tent and a caravan

How long was it from decision to actually buying one, or commiting a deposit?

Just under a week...:whistle2:

What was the primary reason for the decision to buy? And any seccondary reasons?

We figured we would go away more often compared to the caravan. We could also have more freedom when travelling Europe and also meant we could use it for ski holidays.

How long have you had the MH now?

Just a couple of months

Since taking delivery has your experience changed from the expectations you had?

Although we've not owned the Hymer for long we can already see it will exceed our expectations. It also confirms we should have bought one sooner! 🙂

Jake

Gixer

Free Member
Dec 16, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
2018 Chausson EB
Exp
None
Hope these answers are useful :

When did you first start thinking about buying a MH? About 3 years ago

How long before definitely deciding to buy? About 2 years ago

What was your camping experience, if any, before, e.g. tents, caravans etc.? Camping in tents

How long was it from decision to actually buying one, or commiting a deposit? Took about 2 years to find what we agreed on and buy

What was the primary reason for the decision to buy? And any seccondary reasons? We retired and felt it was the best option for lots of travelling

How long have you had the MH now? 2 months [in lockdown !!]

Since taking delivery has your experience changed from the expectations you had? Not had chance to use it so can't really comment

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Marmite

Free Member
Jun 14, 2020
SW Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6757
Exp
A...started considering around 5 years ago
B....2 years ago
C...18 years caravanning ,..same van
D...2 years
E...family grown up and we still liked travelling. Wanted to make it more about the journey than destination once we retired
F...deposit paid in February but picked up MH 6 months ago after lockdown 1
G...just as we had anticipated

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back