Please give this enterprising man your support (1 Viewer)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
definitely got the right idea

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
thanks Joy
been involved with encouraging, promoting etc right down the line
haven't been for a stay yet but if the weather's decent over winter I might drop across
lovely area of Cairngorm around Kingussie/ Aviemore/ Boat of Garten (but very built-up compared with here ::bigsmile: )

Goaty McGoatface :rofl:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
He has both, separate entities on the same croft
Can also do a waste stop-&-drop
Sorry, I misread it as the CL and Aire being one and the same, may fault.

So, if he has a Highland Council approved Aire he must have a caravan site licence (that's the only "approval" a couuncil can grant).
So he is calling his caravan site an aire then. Basically the same as many existing sites that have a CL field alongside :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
An exempted site can be called anything you like. CL, CS, FCL, Aire, Nightstop. We have certificated quite a few "Aires"
I realise that Jim but his text starts "We are a new Motor Caravanners Club Certified Location Site as well as a Highland Council approved Aire / Airigh with Motorhome Service Point."
I had originally misread that the two were the same.
Only when I re-read it after being corrected do I see that he has the CL and a licensed site (which he calls an aire).

It struck me because, time after time, when I have suggested that anyone who wants to open an aire only need obtain a site licence I have been told that an aire is something different, not a caravan site :giggle:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It struck me because, time after time, when I have suggested that anyone who wants to open an aire only need obtain a site licence I have been told that an aire is something different, not a caravan site

Lot's of Aires in the UK are in fact exempted locations. We have exempted a few. They call themselves Aires because it better reflects the kind of campsite they want to be. One or two-night stopovers, or just paying for water and toilet dump.

In my opinion, any Aire that operates outside an exemption is risking a planning enforcement visit.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
he has the CL and a licensed site (which he calls an aire).
The aire has its certificate from MCC (I believe this is the case, pre-MF involvment?) and is approved by - rather than licenced by - Highland Council under its relaxation of planning rules and promotion of a network of private aires which it wants to brand as Àirigh (Scots Gaelic for 'shieling').

This relaxation was Highland Council's response to the crazy influx of motorhomes due to covid staycations - rather than banning, Highland set about welcoming.

The CL at Croila Croft is on a grassed area and accepts caravans and tents as well as motorhomes. The Àirigh is for motorhomes only and is on hardstanding.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The aire has its certificate from MCC (I believe this is the case, pre-MF involvment?) and is approved by - rather than licenced by - Highland Council under its relaxation of planning rules and promotion of a network of private aires which it wants to brand as Àirigh (Scots Gaelic for 'shieling').

This relaxation was Highland Council's response to the crazy influx of motorhomes due to covid staycations - rather than banning, Highland set about welcoming.

The CL at Croila Croft is on a grassed area and accepts caravans and tents as well as motorhomes. The Àirigh is for motorhomes only and is on hardstanding.
According to the web site the CL is the subject of the MCC exemption.
The "aire" is a licensed caravan site as explained Here and in the linked Guidance document. As the latter says "Anyone who operates a Motorhome Stopover Site is also required to have a caravan site licence (unless one of 3 or 5 vehicle exemptions described below applies).".

What Highland Council has done - wisely given the situation it is faced with - is to temporarily relax the planning controls which run alongside having a site licence.

As I have always said, there is no barrier to anyone opening an aire so long as they can meet. the requirements of the 1960 Act. This is a good example of the fact that the Act is up to date and needs no revision :)

Reactions: CWH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back