Peugeot Boxer Battery "recall" (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Does it look from my photo that the incorrect battery has been factory fitted??
It's a 2014 MH with a Peugeot cab.

Cor...... What a job to get at the battery compartment. Take the cab carpet up (plus another one fitted on top to save the original from mud) then millions of plastic twist 'screws' on the cover plate - not to mention doubling myself in half to get at it all!

It's all experience though, just in case I ever need to get at the battery in future.

Anyway, does this mean I get a FREE new vehicle battery?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 130

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
yes mate.. Indeed it does !!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Cheers @Jaws

I'll tell you what.....this forum never never fails to amaze me! Apart from all the MHF discounts and two free new full Calor Lite cylinders, it now looks like I'll be getting a ÂŁ120 battery FOC. All for a tenner subs eh?

Before I get too euphoric, here's another pic where it says 12v 95A. (Partially hidden under the negative terminal lug). Not a very good pic because I was trying to hold up the cover plate wiv me 'ed! It's a bit confusing. Am I still in for a freebie batt' ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 99
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I'll have to show this to Ralph.
He upgraded the battery, in as standard, when we bought the panel van. But it's a 2014 model. I'll get him to check . Just incase.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have a 63 plated Boxer and not sure if this is appropriate for my age of van - not relishing trying to find out given the comments made by wingman above!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cheers @Jaws

I'll tell you what.....this forum never never fails to amaze me! Apart from all the MHF discounts and two free new full Calor Lite cylinders, it now looks like I'll be getting a ÂŁ120 battery FOC. All for a tenner subs eh?

Before I get too euphoric, here's another pic where it says 12v 95A. (Partially hidden under the negative terminal lug). Not a very good pic because I was trying to hold up the cover plate wiv me 'ed! It's a bit confusing. Am I still in for a freebie batt' ?

It is the 680A that is important Wingman. That is def one to be changed.. no doubt at all

I have a 63 plated Boxer and not sure if this is appropriate for my age of van - not relishing trying to find out given the comments made by wingman above!

Simple enough.. if you have a fone with a camera on it poke it in at roughly the right place and take a picture :)

Apparently in could affect vans back as far as 2012
Been doing a bit of digging.. It actually goes back in to 2011 by the looks of it !

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
battery.jpg
I checked my battery, it is the 680A type, contacted dealer, didn't know anything about it (surprise surprise) so I phoned Peugeot customer services. Gave all the details to the person who answered the phone, initially she said it did not affect my vehicle, but when I said I had looked and the battery was 680A she said she would pass it on to someone else, I was given a ref number and should get a phone back within 24 hrs. Will keep you informed.

Last edited:

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@Cal54 Dont let me put you off. It wasn't that difficult; I just exagerated a bit to add flavour to the saga :D

My Boxer is a 63 plate too.

As you probably know, the battery resides under the nearside floor of the cab (where the passenger's feet go). If you lift the carpet that side, you'll see a plastic cover plate. Unfortunately, this cover plate extends to the middle of the cab floor, so it's easier to take the carpet out.

Undo the plastic 'twist screws' half a turn with a coin and lift off the cover plate to reveal the battery. There's a further small cover over the negative terminal. Depress the plastic lugs inwards and remove this terminal cover too. This gives you a better view of the battery specification/description (see my photo in my initial post). Take a snap with phone or camera, then reverse the process. It didn't take me too long really (n)

Oh. There are two tabs on the leading edge of the cover plate. Make sure you locate these in the corresponding slits before tightening everything down.

PS. Thanks again Jaws.

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
I read this yesterday on MMM, we rang the local Peugeot Dealer who did our first service, sent them a copy of the bulletin , we are waiting for their response they didn't know anything about it so I suppose they are trying to verify it with Peugeot.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Thanks wingman, it is a job I will tackle tomorrow and then have a word with my local Pug dealer. I anticipate they will no nothing at this stage judging from previous posts!

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Well ours didn't We have been asked to take a photo of the battery send them it for their records , then they will order one.

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
I have just phoned Peugeot and got exactly the same reply golly had so we will see what transpires.
:whistle:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
This smacks of a con/scam to me. If Peugeot were really doing a recall on batteries why would they not send out that letter to ALL parties who may be affected? Also if it were real why when people have contacted Peugeot have they been told "we know nothing of this"? The typo in the apparent letter is repeated 3 times, which in itself leads me to suspect its validity. "680A" and "950A" refer to the batteries ability to supply large amperages (680 A = 680 AMPS, 950 A = 950 Amps, these are what is known as cold cranking amps, i.e. the batteries ability to provide big current in cold conditions) The reference to 950 AH (repeated 3 times) is a measure of the batteries capacity. I find it difficult to believe that a company as big as Peugeot, who build very technically complicated vehicles would issue such an inaccurate recall letter to just one person. Also the very fact it was copied from another forum leads me to doubt its validity.

D.

Lillylo

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just checked our 2015 Bailey Approach and we have the 680 battery also. Just about to go away so will have to sort it on our return. Can someone post a picture of their battery compartment with the lid off. We have had some extras fitted and I'd like to see what a standard set up looks like so I can see what has been wired in to ours and where. Ta

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
This smacks of a con/scam to me. If Peugeot were really doing a recall on batteries why would they not send out that letter to ALL parties who may be affected? Also if it were real why when people have contacted Peugeot have they been told "we know nothing of this"? The typo in the apparent letter is repeated 3 times, which in itself leads me to suspect its validity. "680A" and "950A" refer to the batteries ability to supply large amperages (680 A = 680 AMPS, 950 A = 950 Amps, these are what is known as cold cranking amps, i.e. the batteries ability to provide big current in cold conditions) The reference to 950 AH (repeated 3 times) is a measure of the batteries capacity. I find it difficult to believe that a company as big as Peugeot, who build very technically complicated vehicles would issue such an inaccurate recall letter to just one person. Also the very fact it was copied from another forum leads me to doubt its validity.

D.
Well if it is a scam/con, its all over the forums, caravan club, auto sleeper owners, MMM, etc. Peugeot will be really pi$$ed if it is.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
No it doesn't, the other pic clearly shows 95Ah. That's the storage capacity, the 680A is the cranking amps which must not be enough for a cold engine.
I would think 680a CC would be enough to start any 2.2 engine -I think my old 2.8 ltr iveco only needed 650 cc
plus why only pugs Citroen share same production line so I would think they share same battery
terry

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Well if it is a scam/con, its all over the forums, caravan club, auto sleeper owners, MMM, etc. Peugeot will be really pi$$ed if it is.
And several Autosleeper forum members have already had their batteries replaced or booked in at Peugeot dealers for replacement.
One member rang the number quoted, was promised a reply by email (so he had it in writing) and this is the reply received

Thank you for your recent email, in relation to the battery in your Boxer
Motorhome.

I can confirm that if you have found that your Motorhome has the 680A battery fitted and not the 950Ah battery and would like this to be changed.

Please take your motorhome along to a Peugeot franchised dealer, who will check the battery and look to replace it with a 950Ah battery under your
manufacturer’s warranty.

I’m sorry you have had to contact Peugeot Customer Relations under such
circumstances, but I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to my
attention.

Yours sincerely

Emma Tombs
Customer Relations Manager

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if the later battery hatches are the same as my 2007 there are only two twist locks to open, those nearest the seat on the plate there are some others but i think they hold the battery box in place the otherside ie nearest the front is just two lugs similar to the battery hatch on small electrical items

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Our battery was replaced by Peugeot under warranty as it was not holding its charge, this was after only about 3 months old from new (63 plate) think i will take the cover off in the morning an see what they replaced it with .

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
And several Autosleeper forum members have already had their batteries replaced or booked in at Peugeot dealers for replacement.
One member rang the number quoted, was promised a reply by email (so he had it in writing) and this is the reply received

Thank you for your recent email, in relation to the battery in your Boxer
Motorhome.

I can confirm that if you have found that your Motorhome has the 680A battery fitted and not the 950Ah battery and would like this to be changed.

Please take your motorhome along to a Peugeot franchised dealer, who will check the battery and look to replace it with a 950Ah battery under your
manufacturer’s warranty.

I’m sorry you have had to contact Peugeot Customer Relations under such
circumstances, but I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to my
attention.

Yours sincerely

Emma Tombs
Customer Relations Manager

Fair enough, I stand corrected. It just seems odd to me that they'd make suuch a glaring error 3 times in the same letter and why isn't this letter being sent out to all owners?

D.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Do they provide a trailer for the 950Ah battery?

It certainly wouldn't fit it the battery compartment lol

It would be the size of nine and a half Banner 100Ah batteries, which have a testing rate of 440 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) BTW

Good luck :)

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Fair enough, I stand corrected. It just seems odd to me that they'd make suuch a glaring error 3 times in the same letter and why isn't this letter being sent out to all owners?

D.

Apparently as it's not a safety issue, it is only being directed to converters who in turn should be contacting owners. Maybe the larger battery is only provided on vehicles destined for conversion and standard vans come out with the smaller battery. I agree the typo is a very poor mistake to be sent out, obviously not checked by whichever department issues such letters but that sort of proof-reading mistake happens all the time these days.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@Lillylo Here's a pic of the battery compartment with the main cover plate off (and the smaller negative terminal cover removed).
Pic is a bit fuzzy, but should be ok?

Hope this helps

James

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 53

Lillylo

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
I'm a newbie
@Lillylo Here's a pic of the battery compartment with the main cover plate off (and the smaller negative terminal cover removed).
Pic is a bit fuzzy, but should be ok?

Hope this helps

James

Thats great. Thanks James

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Update

Got the phone call from Peugeot this morning as promised, they said that, yes some vehicles had been fitted with the 680A battery, but it will work fine in my vehicle ! When I suggested that there was a big difference in the "cranking power" (thanks @hilldweller) and that I used the van all year and didn't want to be stuck in a field in November with a dud battery, she said to take to a dealer who would double check and replace with 950A battery under warranty. Quite painless really, they obviously are trying to limit the number of batteries they replace, and to be honest I haven't had any starting problems, but I am contacting my nearest Peugeot dealer for the replacement asap. Got a follow up email to show dealer, its exactly the same as the one posted by @paulmold, with the same typos.

John

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I am getting the runaround from Peugeot re the battery issue. Understandably my local Peugeot dealer knows nothing of this issue and so I rang Peugeot customer centre direct. Basically they will not confirm there is an automatic recall but that it has been deemed appropriate for the Bailey MH's. They will not accept a photo of the battery in situ, and I have been advised that the vehicle must be looked at by a Peugeot tech and then they discuss the matter Direct with Peugeot. Couldn't get an answer as to why it was only appropriate to Bailey and Auto sleeper!!

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
The latest is our Peugeot Dealership has asked for the mileage which we have given her 9.950 she said she will probably have the new battery in by Tuesday ! so she must have been in contact with Peugeot as they have asked for the photograph of battery and now mileage.
I am getting the runaround from Peugeot re the battery issue. Understandably my local Peugeot dealer knows nothing of this issue and so I rang Peugeot customer centre direct. Basically they will not confirm there is an automatic recall but that it has been deemed appropriate for the Bailey MH's. They will not accept a photo of the battery in situ, and I have been advised that the vehicle must be looked at by a Peugeot tech and then they discuss the matter Direct with Peugeot. Couldn't get an answer as to why it was only appropriate to Bailey and Auto sleeper!!

Carol I see you have an Alto like us, what year is it? we contacted the Dealer that we had our first Service last year with, not 100 o/o sure they are doing it yet , but will be annoyed it it should be done and it isn't. I think like anything else the main supplier likes to deal with the Dealer so it might be an idea to find a different one than the first one. I copied and pasted that Bulletin and e.mailed it to the Peugeot Dealership I would try that if I were you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back