Nice impression of a CC@C site (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I'm up in @buttons territory (Hertfordshire). Despite the windy forecast, just nipped up for the weekend for a spin. Anyway........

On arrival, here's a quick resumé of the conversation at reception, where I was at the back of a small queue.

Receptionist: "Sorry to keep you Sir, just dealing with these people and I'll be with you in a moment"
Me: "That's fine; I'm in no hurry".
Receptionist: "Right Sir, sorry to keep you. Are we expecting you? If so, could I have your name please?" (Name given) "Ah yes; here we are. Just a small balance to pay Mr ..... and you'll be on your way.

Paid my balance.

Receptionist: "Here's an information sheet with the gate code etc, but if there's anything else you need to know, just ask. This is my colleague Luke. He will direct you to your pitch and I hope you have a nice stay"

Luke: "Do you have any preferences Sir? Under trees, not under trees? Near the loo's or away from them?" The pitches closest to the toilet blocks have been swiped I'm afraid. Just follow me on my bike. I'll show you the Motorhome Service Point if you need water etc, then we'll find you a nice pitch"

PHWELLL knock me down with a feather!

Whatever happened to standing in a queue, shuffling from foot to foot with no one interested and a hand raised if you dare to speak! :mad: I'm not talking about campsites necessarily, just generally.

We all moan about some sites - particularly club sites in the UK and their officialdom, but this experience was a nice one.

Well done to the staff of Hertford CC&C site.

PS. I have no connection to the site. I'm sure some horror stories will follow, but I thought it's right to praise when praise is due.

James

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'm up in @buttons territory (Hertfordshire). Despite the windy forecast, just nipped up for the weekend for a spin. Anyway........

On arrival, here's a quick resumé of the conversation at reception, where I was at the back of a small queue.

Receptionist: "Sorry to keep you Sir, just dealing with these people and I'll be with you in a moment"
Receptionist: "Right Sir, sorry to keep you. Are we expecting you? If so, could I have your name please?" (Name given) "Ah yes; here we are. Just a small balance to pay Mr ..... and you'll be on your way.

Paid my balance.

Receptionist: "Here's an information sheet with the gate code etc, but if there's anything else you need to know, just ask. This is my colleague Luke. He will direct you to your pitch and I hope you have a nice stay"

Luke: "Do you have any preferences Sir? Under trees, not under trees? Near the loo's or away from them?" The pitches closest to the toilet blocks have been swiped I'm afraid. Just follow me on my bike. I'll show you the Motorhome Service Point if you need water etc, then we'll find you a nice pitch"

Whatever happened to standing in a queue, shuffling from foot to foot with no one interested and a hand raised if you dare to speak! :mad: I'm not talking about campsites necessarily, just generally.

We all moan about some sites - particularly club sites in the UK and their officialdom, but this experience was a nice one.

PS. I have no connection to the site. I'm sure some horror stories will follow, but I thought it's right to praise when praise is due.

James

I wonder if they would be as wonderful later in the year. Try again in 4 or 5 months.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Paid my balance.

James
Nice site wingman I have stayed and I know Hertford fairly well. This is one site that I always recommend if asked for a site close to London. I also recommend The Rose Café which is in the town. Great Sunday breakfast with really nice staff...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Only once ever had a negative experience and that was when we were leaving.

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I agree, that's more or less exactly what I expect and get at C & C C sites.

I've had some different experiences checking into other Clubs' and commercial sites.

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@Debs leaving tomorrow, but will write a critique - probably on this thread.
@buttons Don't know why I haven't stayed here before. It's not far across the border :D2
Hertford is a nice town too. Walked our feet off and spent time in the small FREE museum. Lots of nice eateries, but wound up with an All Day Breakfast- heathen!

Would deffo come back here.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
To be fair our experience of both the CMC and C&CC has been positive on each and every time we have contacted or stayed with them.

Which is all the more impressive when you realise that on occasion Mrs Cornish Boy has informed me I am a miserable, demanding, fussy, pedantic, antagonistic barsteward. :LOL:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
That's why C&CC like to be known as the "Friendly Club".
CC members didn't like the idea of being 'told' where to pitch but, in fact, I always found that I had a choice as well as a more approachable reception.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
@Debs leaving tomorrow, but will write a critique - probably on this thread.
@buttons Don't know why I haven't stayed here before. It's not far across the border :D2
Hertford is a nice town too. Walked our feet off and spent time in the small FREE museum. Lots of nice eateries, but wound up with an All Day Breakfast- heathen!

Would deffo come back here.
Nothing wrong with slumming it wingman, The Rose Café is a greasy spoon but their sauté potato's on a breakfast are an experience not to miss...;)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We find both clubs good but feel that the CC&C just has the edge.

We also find that both have excellent staff on the phones when asking for quotes for insurance etc. Although they are not always the cheapest.

On the one occasion we had to use the Caravan Club's, (as it was then), Red Pennant Insurance they were outstanding. I genuinely could not have asked for more.

Reactions: BGB

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Why wouldn't they be??"

Because many people have experienced less than wonderful customer service from the C&CC & CC. It is good to see that Funsters have had good times in Hertford but was that because it was a quiet weekend at the start of the season or because they staff there are and will always be amazing?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Because many people have experienced less than wonderful customer service from the C&CC & CC. It is good to see that Funsters have had good times in Hertford but was that because it was a quiet weekend at the start of the season or because they staff there are and will always be amazing?
And I an sure many more people have had excellent experiences. But that's only hearsay just like your post. I speak from my experience when I say that the op experience is exactly what I have found at any time of the year irrespective how busy they have been and I use sites both club and private exclusively in Britain. Roy

BGB

Free Member
Feb 28, 2016
GAINSBOROUGH
Funster No
MH
PANEL VAN CONVERSION
Exp
SINCE AUGUST 2015
As with other posts, i usually find both of the big clubs work hard to maintain standards that are expected by the members. Some visitors dont like the regimented feel but personally i like to know what i am going to get or the standard expected.....IMHO it will not suit everyones idea of a good holiday experience but it perfectly fits mine which is what i expect from a diverse bunch of motorhomes on here......

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I promised that I would do a quick review of the site for @Debs

The Hertford site is vast! It has some 250 pitches and caters for everything from a tent to large RV. It is open all year round. It has links to Baden-Powell scouting days and goes back to the 50's. Despite the windy and dull weather, I'd say that there were about 50 rigs on the site when I stayed the weekend just gone, so I don't know if that counts as 'busy'.

Yes, the staff were really good throughout the weekend. Was the pleasantness because it was it was early in the season? Can't say. As @Mi58ck reported above, it was obviously not just me that noticed the staff.

PRO's?
Welcoming, informative staff, spacious campsite, level pitches. Distant play area for kids. Pleasant grassy surroundings with plenty of trees. Heated and spotless amenities block. Nice stop north of London if travelling further south, or just as a weekend away. They take non-CC&C members too. Hertford itself is a nice town. There are riverside walks, quaint shops, listed buildings and a free museum. The town is approx a 20 minute walk from the site.

CON's?
Looks like you have to stay a minimum of 2 nights.
Unless there was a fiendish plan to tap into some secret supply in warmer months, there was a real lack of fresh water taps. There is one on the motorhome service point and one at the amenities blocks. Ok if you want to fill your fresh water tank, but a bit of a trudge if you just want container full for a cuppa (or you don't want to move the van).
The motorhome service point was a bit tired looking, but functional.
Cleaning of the loos takes place between 10.30 and noon. This is a bit of a nause because you have to vacate your pitch before noon. If you're packed up and ready to go, there's no chance of a quick 'gypsies' before you hit the road! I know they have to clean them sometime though.

Overall, a good experience and a good weekend.

James

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@wingman thankyou, really appreciate this James.

What you have described is a typical c&cc main site, standards are pretty consistent. One thing that I never get, that both clubs do, is closing the loos for cleaning - I've never yet stayed on a commercial site that does this.

Sounds like a good site, especially as the town is within walking distance.
Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back