Need help from scratch re an RV in the USA

Discussion in 'Motorhome Help for the Beginner' started by lauraels, Feb 19, 2009.

  1. lauraels

    lauraels Deleted User

    Hello. At last my long held fantasy of going to the USA, buying an RV and travelling around for a year or so, are in my sights! However, I am a complete novice, only having borrowed my mum and dad's camper van once or twice over the last few years.

    :cry:The excitement now is being overcome by the questions. I am planning on flying to Boston, as I have a friend of a friend there. Does anyone have any contacts or recommendations on buying an RV in the States? I will be travelling on my own, but with friends visiting on and off, so was thinking of one with a static bed, and preferably a kitchen at the rear. Have just also been looking at the fifth wheel trailers, and thought that could be another way to go, although that means 2 purchases - the trailer and a pick-up. Will I be able to register a vehicle to my friends address, with only a tourist visa? Will I be able to insure and drive it on only a normal british driving licence? I must sound mad!

    I suppose an ideal situation would be to team up with a dealer that I could buy from on the proviso that they will buy it back - to rent is £11,000 for 6 months(!), so I do think buying and selling may be the better way to go - do you?
  2. Losos


    Feb 17, 2009
    Suffolk & Czechland
    Sorry, I can't help with any of the questions you've put in your post but if i were you I would be asking one slightly more important question which is:-

    "Will I be able to enter the United States' as a tourist and stay for as long as i want ? "

    My understanding is that entry to America has recently been tightened up, if you're not entering to work you may have to show acceptable means of support, ie have lots of $$$$$ with you when you go :Cool:

    I'm sure that won't be a problem for you but it might be as well to make sure.
  3. IanH


    Apr 6, 2008
    Its a good time to buy over here at the moment,dealers are discounting big time to make a sale.The downside is the exchange rate which has been low for a while now.
    I would never trust a salesman that says they will buy back at the end of the trip.
    As for selling at the end of the trip that would need a lot of thinking about because at the moment not much is selling unless you are willing to lose a lot of money

    You can insure and drive it on your British license as i do although we have never stayed longer than 6 months each trip ,not sure if you will need to get a USA licence after that for legal reasons .

    What size RV are you thinking of A B or C class.or how long 5th Wheel and how much do you intend to spend.

    A class you will need a car to travel from campsites if you intend to do a lot of sightseeing

    B and C class you can get into carparks etc so you could get away without a car

    5th Wheel gives you the truck to go sightseeing

    The visa situation is quite simple if you have a visitors visa you can stay for 6 months,after thay you can apply for an extension to immigration or do as most others have been doing ,take a trip into Canada for a few months and get another 6 months when you return.Those that have done that are best to advise

    As for registering it at your friends address i cannot answer as most of us over here have a Montana LLC address and register through that.

    I can give you a contact at a Florida dealership where you also get a free campground membership which gives you free camping (ish) that could save you a bundle

    Ian @ Doreen

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice