My Hymer Goes To Hospital (1 Viewer)

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
You shouldn't have told 'em the price JJ!!!
They will all be coming down to PT for a service at our little expert garages and we will never get in :whistle:.
As an aside our village garage is called Jones,as Portuguese as they come,doesn't speak a word of English,very strange.
Glad you are all sorted,better remember to empty the washing up bowl!

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
1.30... back from lunch.

1.45... pump off.

Problem...

As suspected, not only is the vacuum pump cam a tad worn but the disc that drives it is completely worn out.

View attachment 127286

Why they don't sell a new driving cam disc thingy with the new pump I don't know!

Anyhow, one of the gang has gone off to try to find/get a replacement (hence no photo of it...)

Fingers crossed.

If we have to order one I am told it will take five days!

So I might have to live here for a while!

And there is a possibility of a VIP Funster visiting QMJ on Wednesday.

The really pleasing thing is that the range of faults that I have been experiencing over the months, and which have slowly got worse and worse, are down to this wear.

Being a super Mercedes, the vacuum generated by the pump is used for several, different things.

It assists the automatic gear changes and kick down pedal.

It works the brake servo AND it operates the diesel cut off valve to stop the engine when the ignition key is turned off.

It will like driving a new motorhome if/when I get all these items working properly again.

JJ :cool:
I can vouch for that JJ

We had ours fail near Teruel and when it was replaced it was like driving a different vehicle. I was actually able to overtake instead of joining the line of heavies in the truck lane on hills. I actually got flashed by a French speed camera (that was novel as well) (no ticket thank goodness). I had no brake assistance when mine went so had to be recovered.

A lot of old 410D hymers could benefit from new vacuum pipes. I know of two that have had it done resulting in improved performance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
It cost us £900 euro to have the Vacuum exhauster pump replaced in a Scania dealers workshop in Teruel. We did however get 4 nights in a spa hotel paid for by RAC

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
By the sound of it you should have got the garage to supply it(y) it probly would have been half the price:p

We both searched our known people to locate a pump. Rui, the garage boss, couldn't find one but I contacted Geordie Billy in Hereford who got me the part number from his friendly Mercedes dealer across the road.

Armed with a Mercedes part number, Billy was able locate several at different prices but all in Blighty.

I asked a good friend's brother in law, who runs a spares shop locally, if he could get me one. After a few days, he offered me a choice... genuine Mercedes at over €400 plus tax or the one I got.

The pump is guaranteed for a year.

Whenever I can I like to do business with local folk, especially if you know them, even it is a tad more expensive.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Ni
We both searched our known people to locate a pump. Rui, the garage boss, couldn't find one but I contacted Geordie Billy in Hereford who got me the part number from his friendly Mercedes dealer across the road.

Armed with a Mercedes part number, Billy was able locate several at different prices but all in Blighty.

I asked a good friend's brother in law, who runs a spares shop locally, if he could get me one. After a few days, he offered me a choice... genuine Mercedes at over €400 plus tax or the one I got.

The pump is guaranteed for a year.

Whenever I can I like to do business with local folk, especially if you know them, even it is a tad more expensive.

But you did not ask the irish brigade!
vaxcuum pump at £147 -- delivered !!
and after all that - who actually knows how to adjust the gearbox ?
the vacuum pump was worth doing but not without looking at the vacuum connectors!!!

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
the vacuum pump was worth doing but not without looking at the vacuum connectors!!!

The old vacuum pump was tested.

It wasn't working... not producing any vacuum.

Once removed, the fault was there for all to see.

Once replaced, everything now working well.

I suspect the vacuum connectors are alright for the time being.

Thanks for the kind offer of a pump delivery... I didn't know about it... but please deliver yourselves here instead... (y)

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Glad it's all sorted and stopping on demand! Interesting that the kick down has improved, I was wondering just how much the restored vacuum would affect the gearbox.
Kent Bergma refers to the 3 way valve on the rocker cover as likely to need attention on this age of engine, it incorporates
a wee plastic control lever which is activated by a cam on the throttle cable,this will probably need replaced!(it alters the amount of vacuum available).
Happy travels -gentle braking!!

Reactions: JJ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back