Fev

Free Member
Sep 12, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Ace Milano
Exp
My question is not about our motorhome but about using debit cards in Europe? We are taking our first European trip come December. I’ve read that you get charged every time you use the card be it shopping or getting cash out, is this true?
What does other people do please?
Sorry if I’ve posted in wrong place I’ve only just joined ?

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
If you bank with Coutts & Co no charge on ANY foreign transactions whether debit card, Coutts & Co credit card or Coutts Silk charge card (y)

"Designed for a world without borders, Silk comes with a host of travel benefits, making it your ideal companion when you are abroad."

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fev

Fev

Free Member
Sep 12, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Ace Milano
Exp
Thank you for the welcome, we are currently with Barclays and reading up, if I’m reading it right, we get charged?

Upvote 0

RetiredPope

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 9, 2015
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 640
Exp
4yrs so still a newbie
Hi,
You also need to watch out for the offer to pay in Euro or pounds, particularly in supermarkets. If you opt for pounds, then you're charged at whatever rate the supermarket decides, so always opt for Euro.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Fev. :hiya2: and w2f

We also use a combination of the Metro debit card for cash withdrawals, and the Nationwide credit card for purchases only, ie, fuel, site fees, etc. Both are fee free. :)

You also need to watch out for the offer to pay in Euro or pounds, particularly in supermarkets. If you opt for pounds, then you're charged at whatever rate the supermarket decides, so always opt for Euro
I concur with that advice. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Reactions: Fev
Upvote 0

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
JJ did they send your card to Portugal ?
They will only send a replacement card to your registered address, I know as I lost mine a few weeks ago after a couple of bottles of Rose wine on a beach, luckily I had my debit card which I didn't know was also exchange rate and fee free so used that, otherwise I would never have known ;)

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Be aware that a lot of cash points are charging now regardless who you are with, usually €1.50 but can be €2.50 per transaction

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Have some euros in cash just in case. On a recent trip to Germany a couple of filling stations only took Germany-registered cards. I only found out after I'd filled the tank. Fortunately I had some euros cash.

Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
If we use our Santander debit card they charge us £1.25 I think it is every time, We use a Caxton prepaid card, easy to load and free!

Paul

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thank you for the welcome, we are currently with Barclays and reading up, if I’m reading it right, we get charged?
And probably a lousy exchange rate.
Be aware that a lot of cash points are charging now regardless who you are with, usually €1.50 but can be €2.50 per transaction
Was just Portugal but now Spain as well, so far just walked to the next bank and its been OK.

Upvote 0

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Yes there can be 2 charges at ATMs, 1 your bank makes and 1 some atm owners make.
Best to have a free credit and atm card, using the credit card were ever possible, the Halifax Clarity credit card can be used as both as long as cash withdrawal are paid off your account straight away.

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We use a Halifax Clarity card and Revolut. Neither of these make charges for use.

Welcome to the forum by the way! :)
Second the Clarity card but don't use revolut as clarity card gives me exactly what I need, no charges and spot exchange rate... No cash tied up in a revolut or caxton account..

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I got charged €1.85 this morning at a cash machine with Caxton. First time I've ever been charged. I was told the bank further up the road didnt charge, and also told to never use Santander as they were the most expensive.

Upvote 0

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
They will only send a replacement card to your registered address, I know as I lost mine a few weeks ago after a couple of bottles of Rose wine on a beach, luckily I had my debit card which I didn't know was also exchange rate and fee free so used that, otherwise I would never have known ;)
Thank you . Was asking if they send to your European address or only if you have a U.K. address

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
We use Metro card for hole in the wall transactions,and Nationwide credit card for purchases like tolls and fuel.

Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
Barclays is not a good debit card to use abroad (i Take mine for emergency only), open an account with one that does not charge, there are plenty. and get yourself a pre paid purchase card like WeSwap or Revolut, caxton etc as trhe rates are decent.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
and also told to never use Santander as they were the most expensive.
I'm sure Popeye got stung for fees at a Santander ATM in Calpe (or thereabouts), 2-3 weeks ago. :(

Use a Metro debit card and a combination of Metro, Santander Zero and Nationwide credit cards, all of which are charge free.
Being a Metro customer, I might have a look at their credit card. :)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
Another vote here for Halifax Charity card. Just come back from Spa and had excellent rates when using it for fuel. We don't do any other business with them and only use it when abroad, never had any issues.
We also pre-load a FairFX card but you do get charged on withdrawals. To minimize this, we usually withdraw a couple of hundred at a time.
Terry

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We take some Euros and use a Halifax Clarity Card.

Mrs QFour

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back