Motorhome garage storage (1 Viewer)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
What do you lot do regards storage in the MH garage, I like things nice and tidy and everything in its place type of thing.

Do any of you have one of those fiamma storage racks that you stack containers on.

Would I be better just getting some plastic storage containers and stacking them on top of each other and label up what's in each one.

Look forward to your ideas and ways of doing things

LB

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Plastic storage containers from The Range and Poundstretcher

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Storage boxes for smaller stuff and a game of Tetris with the bigger bits.

Also a separate storage box with tight fitting lid for my fresh water hoses and attachments.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Yes I think plastic storage boxes are the way I'm going to go just wondered about them falling over if stacked 3-4 high when I slide it round the corners :D

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Tesco crates amongst other things:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Yes I think plastic storage boxes are the way I'm going to go just wondered about them falling over if stacked 3-4 high when I slide it round the corners :D

Bungee ropes or straps if you’re going that high. Also make sure they are a good version of box when stacked, some of the cheaper ones just slide off.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I have bought a length of bungee cord and a dozen hooks to make my own at the desired length

Not sure how high I will need to go but want to leave enough room to easily get 2 electric mountain bikes in without a struggle

Or all my fishing tackle if fishing instead of biking

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
What do you lot do regards storage in the MH garage, I like things nice and tidy and everything in its place type of thing.

Do any of you have one of those fiamma storage racks that you stack containers on.

Would I be better just getting some plastic storage containers and stacking them on top of each other and label up what's in each one.

Look forward to your ideas and ways of doing things

LB

I know you have just got your new Carthago but take decisions like this slowly.

I think your question would be better answered if the question were supported with

- a photo of your garage, showing what is there in terms of plinths, tie-downs etc.

- what you want to store in there - scooter, pushbikes, folding-bikes and then all the extras - hose-reel extra water, chairs, tables.

Just to give an example of permutations, we have a large garage that has cross-wide plinths on the front and rear sides of the entrance. They have 4 posts(wall-to-ceiling)(retro-fitted I think) which are ideal as anchor points for both items on the floor and on the plinths themelves. We have two bicycles which are strapped with pedals against the plinths and frames against the posts.

Except for very light items I would always use ratchet straps rather than bungees.

We have not got storage boxes, but have thought about them. How would one retain them? I do not know. Maybe some companies have securing mechanisms.

These are just some ideas but I am sure that if you showed the garage and named what you want to store maybe others would come up with other ideas.

Do you even know yet what you want to store?

Geoff

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Large objects 2 electric bikes and cadac cari cheff 2 left assembled, toilet stuff, cleaning stuff,beer,tools,retractable hose, extra shoes all the usual stuff really

Screenshot_20190307-165144_Gallery.jpg

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
When we got our current van (our first with a garage) I rushed into getting plastic boxes, and got several from B&M, B&Q, etc . I made the mistake of trying to get them cheap, and have already had to replace several of them after the lids cracked. Now replaced with Really Useful boxes - should have got them to start with!

Incidentally our van garage (Carthago) has a chequer plate floor like the OP’s, and we’ve not had any problems with stuff flying around, or smaller boxes stacked on top of others coming off.

I do envy some of the very organised systems you see , and did look at https://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/easyfix . But I think you’d need to be pretty sure you’d decided on everything you wanted to store before committing to it?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
If you want some industrial high grade storage boxes then Rako are as good as they get. We use lots of them here and some are 30yrs old.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Oh dear why did you have to show me that link :rolleyes: that's just what I have been looking for

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Typical Swiss quality, used all over the world a million times a day and are reasonably priced.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I have a spare Fiamma flat bar. I recall it being the "premium" version. You get a pair but I only needed one. Put it on the back wall, above the one in the bottom corner, and it's good for strapping all sorts to the back. It's about 2m long.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I need to try and find somewhere that sells them near me (Derby) area so I can go and look at them to see what sizes I need

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Alfreton is the Utz (maker of Rako boxes) HQ in UK, pretty close hey !

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I have a spare Fiamma flat bar. I recall it being the "premium" version. You get a pair but I only needed one. Put it on the back wall, above the one in the bottom corner, and it's good for strapping all sorts to the back. It's about 2m long.
I have had this done it's just not showing on the picture I can't take pic now as it's at SAP having E&P 're fitted

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Not sure, here they're in all supermarkets and diy stores. There's a few on-line retailers in the UK but then you can't see them first. Plan B just order 1 and make sure you're happy with it before committing further.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you go to the Dusseldorf show, you will find all manner of storage systems there. There are some Aluminium ones that will slide the whole contents of your garage to either side (if you have the matching large door on the LHS). The slide-out can carry bikes and racking systems to suit most needs, but they are not cheap. Sorry, I cannot remember the names.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
What is the best type of material for a good quality storage box I ask as wicks do a nice looking one for £9 made out of polypropylene is this strong and durable or will it crack and break

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back