MOT (1 Viewer)

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Mot due on my camper which is in storage in a couple of weeks timeShould I plan to get it out and get it done?Although the storage site owners start them up every few weeks it hasn’t turned a wheel since September!When it was on our drive at our previous address I made sure I took it out for a blast every few weeks!!Dont like it standing idle for so long!What do there’s do ?

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
I personally would leave it until the restrictions are eased. No problem driving it to mot station without mot provided the test is booked. Although the storage guys start it up I guess it’s to keep battery charged. I wouldn’t do that as would need to leave running for a long time to get the oil up to temperature etc. If not just causes more condensation in the engine and dilutes the oil. I would remove battery’s and keep at home on charger, just my thoughts

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Took mine to a local garage for her test today.
She has been standing on the drive since October but started instantly and passed the test with no advisories.
I was concerned that the brakes might have rusty disks and that the nox? test might fail as it had only been driven for a mile.
Big sigh of relief. (y)

Richard.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Mot due on my camper which is in storage in a couple of weeks timeShould I plan to get it out and get it done?Although the storage site owners start them up every few weeks it hasn’t turned a wheel since September!When it was on our drive at our previous address I made sure I took it out for a blast every few weeks!!Dont like it standing idle for so long!What do there’s do ?
Where did you buy your motorhome dealers never run vehicles after they come in to their stock.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Where did you buy your motorhome dealers never run vehicles after they come in to their stock.
I think the OP has it in storage and the owner starts the vans up to keep the battery topped up ( debatable if this is a good idea ) 👍🏻

OP
OP
robrace
Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Where my camper is kept is in barns with large doors!They not only will charge batteries up but start vehicles up and leave to get up to temperatureThis at least let’s the oil circulate with no load!Think I will make a decision over Mot and tax in a couple of weeks time.

chrisinplymouth

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
I have just been in this situation. I was going to leave mine in storage till later in the year. I then rang the insurance company, (comfort) , to check if my insurance would still be valid. Short answer was told no, vehicle would be considered unroadworthy and a lesser payment made. Took mine out of storage and got it done.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
You people may be interested in what I posted on another thread about my Underwriters AXA's respons to my question about insurance with no MOT

INSURANCE WITHOUT MOT.

This was raised by some, particularly Brains post #37 and I wrot in post #92 that I was pressing for an Underwriter's(U/W), not broker's, answer on MOT. Today I received the U/W answer below, which may be of general interest although it obviously relates to my AXA policy

"All MOT tests, retests and contingency tests must be conducted within authorised vehicle testing stations ( VTSs ) by nominated testers ( NTs ) approved to test the class of vehicle as required by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency ( DVSA ). In regards to requirements vehicles require a MOT after the 3rd anniversary of its registration.

If a vehicle is off the road and not in use, you do not have to keep it taxed and insured – however, you must make a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN). A SORN car must be kept in a garage, a driveway or on private property, or the vehicle will still be considered to be on the road. If you do not SORN the vehicle then the MOT requirements need to be met.

There will be a requirement for Insurance if the vehicle is not SORN. If the vehicle is off road (but not SORN) and not being used cover will still be provided by the Insurance policy if all the conditions of the policy are met. "

Following that I wrote via the broker thanking the U/W and advising him that because of Covid as of 31.01.2021 the MOT expires and the MH is parked at my friends house in Poland in a gated yard. That I cannot SORN it because not in UK. That when I can I will drive straight to UK for pre-booked MOT. I wished to maintain the full policy cover.

They responded that cover for those circumstances would remain.

Sensible information from them and sensible decision on cover in the circumstances.

Geoff

OP
OP
robrace
Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Noted comments! Mine also insured through Comfort!I think I will MOT and tax when due next month! At least I can dream that we are already to go when we can!!!

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
The Government website is very specific about this .. here's the link but if you scroll down it says this about the expiry dates:

30 March 2020 to 31 July 2020​

Your MOT will be automatically extended for 6 months because of coronavirus.

ExampleYour vehicle’s MOT was due to expire on 31 July 2020.
This will automatically be extended to 31 January 2021. You will need to get your MOT by this date.
Your MOT will renew on the extension date if your vehicle passes its MOT first time. If it fails, your MOT will renew on the date it passes after that.

Find out:

Before 30 March 2020 or after 31 July 2020​

You must book an MOT as usual.

I guess the low risk approach is to take it to somewhere as close as possible, and if needs be use the MOT as 'cover' for habitation checks etc.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Took ours for MOT and service on Thursday, we were a bit concerned as I was following to pick John up after we had delivered the van. I was driving a doblo camper, we looked like a convoy :LOL:
Passed a couple of police vehicles and nary a glance. Picked it up later, pass no advisories, sorted. We were only a few mils from both storag and the MOT garage, took th opportunity to fill up with gas en route.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Just took mine for MOT (passed No advisories😊) 7.5 miles each way, nice run out, also insured with comfort👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back